The Student Room Group

How hard is further maths A Level

I've picked my A Levels ( Biology,chemsitry,maths and further maths)
I was initially doing history but I changed it to further maths. I really want to do further maths,and should get the A* required to do it , but everyone's telling me not to do it bc it's extremely hard and I struggled at the start of GCSE.
Should I change it back to history?
Original post by Wordsaredeadly
I've picked my A Levels ( Biology,chemsitry,maths and further maths)
I was initially doing history but I changed it to further maths. I really want to do further maths,and should get the A* required to do it , but everyone's telling me not to do it bc it's extremely hard and I struggled at the start of GCSE.
Should I change it back to history?

If you can get an A* at GCSE maths you will be able to do Further maths. I did it and it was a lot of work but it isnt impossible and if you enjoy maths you will want to put in the work. What do you want to do at University?
FP1 which is AS-level seems aright, and pretty fun. 2 & 3 look slightly tricker lol.

If you're willing to put in the work It will be easy.
Original post by LPauling
If you can get an A* at GCSE maths you will be able to do Further maths. I did it and it was a lot of work but it isnt impossible and if you enjoy maths you will want to put in the work. What do you want to do at University?

Medicine hopefully... If not then another science based degree

Probably not in medicine but I do Chemistry at uni and things I covered in further maths have come up a lot and just having that little extra bit of base knowledge has really helped me

Be careful because a lot of medical schools don't accept further maths as a fourth AS subject although I'm not entirely sure with the new A-Level reforms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nomophobia
Be careful because a lot of medical schools don't accept further maths as a fourth AS subject although I'm not entirely sure with the new A-Level reforms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have any idea why this is? I did Further maths and I certainly wouldn't say it was a dose and there was a lot of new content that wasnt even touched on in normal maths ie. complex numbers and matrices?
Do you have any idea why this is? I did Further maths and I certainly wouldn't say it was a dose and there was a lot of new content that wasnt even touched on in normal maths ie. complex numbers and matrices?

It's not that its easy. It's just that it's irrelevant to medicine.

Same reason why Durham doesn't accept FM if you also do maths for their PPE course, yet they accept it for their Mathematics course.
Original post by 34908seikj
It's not that its easy. It's just that it's irrelevant to medicine.

Same reason why Durham doesn't accept FM if you also do maths for their PPE course, yet they accept it for their Mathematics course.

Fair enough but surely by that logic you would exclude art from people applying to medicine as well?
Fair enough but surely by that logic you would exclude art from people applying to medicine as well?

I'm not sure, it certainly wouldn't be considered a 'hard / strong' subject, I think you'd be seen as a less competitive applicant. But I doubt someone taking Art also also takes Chem and Bio :smile:
Original post by 34908seikj
I'm not sure, it certainly wouldn't be considered a 'hard / strong' subject, I think you'd be seen as a less competitive applicant. But I doubt someone taking Art also also takes Chem and Bio :smile:

Yeah but to specifically exclude one subject for not relating when there are plenty of others that do not relate just doesn't make sense to me.
Yeah but to specifically exclude one subject for not relating when there are plenty of others that do not relate just doesn't make sense to me.

It's not that, you don't need two maths A-Levels for a subject with little maths in. They don't exclude art, like they do FM.

It's because they say it's "just more maths" -.- which is BS in my opinion - they know FM is hard for a fact, but they just don't see it as 2 separate A-Levels, they think it's both the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nomophobia
It's because they say it's "just more maths" -.- which is BS in my opinion - they know FM is hard for a fact, but they just don't see it as 2 separate A-Levels, they think it's both the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I see it now, yeah I do disagree with what they think
Reply 14
Further maths is still on the 'old' method, that means you can get an AS level in it especially if you're struggling with it.
Just from the experience of my brother, he got 4A*s and GCSE (one in maths one in stats... and 2 subjects no one cares about)
he struggled to do some of the work at A level doing Maths and Further maths with Physics and Chemistry, although that may be partially due to the addition of step exams ( if you plan on doing maths at uni you need to do step papers to get into top Russel group unis)
I would also suggest that unless maths, engineering or physics are in your sights for uni then Further maths might not be too useful or respected by the unis
Original post by BobSausage
Further maths is still on the 'old' method, that means you can get an AS level in it especially if you're struggling with it.
Just from the experience of my brother, he got 4A*s and GCSE (one in maths one in stats... and 2 subjects no one cares about)
he struggled to do some of the work at A level doing Maths and Further maths with Physics and Chemistry, although that may be partially due to the addition of step exams ( if you plan on doing maths at uni you need to do step papers to get into top Russel group unis)
I would also suggest that unless maths, engineering or physics are in your sights for uni then Further maths might not be too useful or respected by the unis

IIRC Cambridge and warwick are the only unis that accept STEP. Most RG universities you don't need an entrance for. MAT is used by Oxford and one or two other universities as well.

Edit: Looked it up, there's like 7 unis that do STEP. my bad.
(edited 7 years ago)
AS further maths is of similar difficultly to normal alevel maths but then A2 is another story ; hence why I dropped it for A2 ahah

Quick Reply

Latest