The Student Room Group

Oxford PAT 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by tangotangopapa2
The questions does not specify if we are allowed to use calculator. Hope I would not be cheating if I were using a calculator.

Sometimes the answers come out as nice round numbers, but just use your intuition. If it says 'to 3 sig figs' you should probably use a calculator. But if your working contains nice numbers then you probably don't need to!
Original post by PhyM23
No problem! Haha you may struggle to do everything :wink:

This prize winning (not sure how it works) problem nearly killed me.
https://isaacphysics.org/questions/speed_in_elliptical_orbit
Reply 42
This prize winning (not sure how it works) problem nearly killed me.
https://isaacphysics.org/questions/speed_in_elliptical_orbit

I wouldn't beat yourself up. It is M5/university level after all haha!
Original post by PhyM23

Is it a2 physics on circular motions?
Original post by NatoHeadshot
Is it a2 physics on circular motions?

It is not A2 either and it is not on circular motion. It is on elliptical motion that requires Kepler's laws and conservation of energy to solve.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is not A2 either and it is not on circular motion. It is on elliptical motion that requires Kepler's laws and conservation of energy to solve.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats a2 for edexcel :tongue:
thats a2 for edexcel :tongue:

Never knew that Edexcel has Kepler's laws in A2. 😉😉😉 Or at least not in Physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
" Applicants for physics may also nominate materials science as a second choice course. The two applications will be considered separately, and so candidates may be short‐listed for either course, both courses, or neither course. If a candidate is considered suitable for both courses, then only an offer for physics will be made. Candidates who are short‐listed for materials science but not short‐ listed for physics will be reallocated to a college which offers materials science if necessary".
Are you allowed to put a second chocie on the application would that affect your chances in any way of getting into one of the courses, would you look confused?
Reply 48
" Applicants for physics may also nominate materials science as a second choice course. The two applications will be considered separately, and so candidates may be short‐listed for either course, both courses, or neither course. If a candidate is considered suitable for both courses, then only an offer for physics will be made. Candidates who are short‐listed for materials science but not short‐ listed for physics will be reallocated to a college which offers materials science if necessary".
Are you allowed to put a second chocie on the application would that affect your chances in any way of getting into one of the courses, would you look confused?

During the application process they send you an email asking whether you want to also be considered for Materials Science
Original post by PhyM23
During the application process they send you an email asking whether you want to also be considered for Materials Science

So technically on oct 15 ill just apply for physics and wait for the email eventually?Does it lower your chacnes you think? making you look confused?
Reply 50
So technically on oct 15 ill just apply for physics and wait for the email eventually?Does it lower your chacnes you think? making you look confused?

That's correct. And no this does not disadvantage you in the slightest, otherwise they wouldn't ask whether you want to do it!
11.jpg

How would you solve the above problem? What are some formulas to remember for compound pulley systems?

Original post by PhyM23
Reply 52
11.jpg

How would you solve the above problem? What are some formulas to remember for compound pulley systems?

Electricity formulas and circular motion formula. That was what i used so yeah
Original post by lyamlim97
Electricity formulas and circular motion formula. That was what i used so yeah

256.png

If you look at this solution presented in physiccsandmathstutor you find that he has multipled the velocity by 3 before using the circulation motion formula which I don't understand.
Reply 54
256.png

If you look at this solution presented in physiccsandmathstutor you find that he has multipled the velocity by 3 before using the circulation motion formula which I don't understand.

Basically because you have 3 strings, if you pull the top string, each of the three strings move a third of the distance you pull the top string with the F above it. Therefore if the block raises by 0.5 metres in 1 second, it means the top string has moved 1.5 metres in one second, hence 3u. It's what's known as 'mechanical advantage' :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by PhyM23
I would definitely advise people doing this to learn inequalities inside out, rational inequalities in particular. This is the first chapter of Edexcel FP2 and it's crucial you learn it. Also make sure you learn C3 and C4 integration inside out. Also learn projectile motion where the particle is projected at an angle. Some/all of you may have already done this in Edexcel M2 but some may not have. Also learn about Newtons law of universal gravitation F=(GMm)/r2 . Also be aware that they expect you to use the Maths in the physics section including calculus. For example they may ask you to integrate force with respect to time to find impulse without explicitly stating it, so don't be afraid to use integration/differentiation in the Physics section. I would also strongly advise learning as much of M3 as possible, especially circular motion.

Hope this helps :smile:

Hi!
What do you mean by inequalities? I'm going to be doing fp2 and fp3 in year 13 but i don't think i'll be able to cover that before the PAT in school! So i may have to learn it on my own
Reply 56
Original post by kj5576
Hi!
What do you mean by inequalities? I'm going to be doing fp2 and fp3 in year 13 but i don't think i'll be able to cover that before the PAT in school! So i may have to learn it on my own

Hey! I mean ones like this:

767677676.PNG

You have to use a different method to solve these. You cannot simply just multiply both sides by the denominator, since it could be positive or negative. Therefore you can't know whether you should flip the sign. There are a few different methods of solving this type. You may also wish to look at modulus inequalities as well like this -

2323.PNG

You must also look at graph sketching for rational functions. Here are some great questions to test yourself on -

http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/standard_topics/various/curve_sketching_exam_questions.pdf

There are things you have to teach yourself, but that's what uni is all about! But teaching yourself's fun anyway! :smile:

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 57
Please forget the two pictures at the bottom. It glitched out a bit!

EDIT - fixed it :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PhyM23
Basically because you have 3 strings, if you pull the top string, each of the three strings move a third of the distance you pull the top string with the F above it. Therefore if the block raises by 0.5 metres in 1 second, it means the top string has moved 1.5 metres in one second, hence 3u. It's what's known as 'mechanical advantage' :smile:

Thank you. That makes sense now. Do you know some good (easy to learn) resources on semiconductors, diodes and transistors?
Reply 59
Thank you. That makes sense now. Do you know some good (easy to learn) resources on semiconductors, diodes and transistors?

No problem!

I used this sheet -

Semiconductors and Diodes - https://5c7c61040ec4753636154661beba7aafa9719395.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYOVNxS3RnZUlfOVE/Notes-with-Questions/The%20Physics%20of%20Semiconductor%20Diodes.pdf

Transistors don't appear to be on the spec so I don't think you have to know about them :smile:

If you want more of these sheets for AS and A2 go here -

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/physics-revision/

Click on AQA under 'A-Levels from 2015' then on any of the sections then look under 'Notes-with Questions' on the left of the page :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending