The Student Room Group

Year 12 work experience w/Social anxiety.

Hi all, I'm sorry if this thread is misplaced, I had no idea where it would be relevant.
Beginning tomorrow, my 6th form will be partaking in work experience (for a week). I'm going to a university to do some maths related thing, I am worried because everybody else will be talking to each other and trying to make new friends but I feel literally incapable of talking in a scenario like this.
What's worse is that my business teacher wants us to understand how a business communicates internally, so I will have to collect information from this.
What the hell do I do? Fake an illness? It is only work experience (and I did it in Year 10 anyway) so it doesn't matter too much right? How do I get out of this?
Don't give me advice on how to talk to strangers please, because I doubt there is one piece of advice that will change what I haven't been able to in 5 or so years.
Have you tried medication? I am of the unpopular opinion that medication is an excellent option. It helped me get my anxiety under control. Prior to the meds speaking to strangers/social situations induced panic attacks. Beta-blockers may be worth a go?

In the mean time the only advice I have is to do what you can. It doesn't really matter what we say on here, you're the only one who can control the situation. Maybe explain to the supervisor or whoever that you struggle with anxiety and may need to leave if you feel overwhelmed. Most employers are very receptive to this sort of disclosure and will do their best to accommodate you.
Original post by Gmadams1991
Have you tried medication? I am of the unpopular opinion that medication is an excellent option. It helped me get my anxiety under control. Prior to the meds speaking to strangers/social situations induced panic attacks. Beta-blockers may be worth a go?

In the mean time the only advice I have is to do what you can. It doesn't really matter what we say on here, you're the only one who can control the situation. Maybe explain to the supervisor or whoever that you struggle with anxiety and may need to leave if you feel overwhelmed. Most employers are very receptive to this sort of disclosure and will do their best to accommodate you.

Okay thanks, if i'm honest my SA is getting better, so I'm not sure if I will have to resort to medication. However, my ability to co-operate as a team member and communication with strangers is still appalling. I will ask the supervisor if I feel overwhelmed, thanks for the advice!
I might just take one or two days off 'ill' mid-week if the first couple are horrendously awkward.
Original post by callumhowieson

Don't give me advice on how to talk to strangers please, because I doubt there is one piece of advice that will change what I haven't been able to in 5 or so years.

Think like that Mr howieson and its game over unfortunately.

This may sound insensitive but you need to man up and control your life. Its yours.

Dont let the self fulfilling prophecy get to you.

Youve been like this for 5 years, isnt that enough?

Do you want to be more sociable?

Unfortunately I dont have the magic bullet to turn you into a smooth james bond but the first step is realisation.

Which is now, realise that you have control and you can prove yourself and what others think wrong, what if you are actually good at talking with others WHAT IF ppl like your opinions?

Make the choice and do it, dont wait around.

You have a great opportunity this week, use it. :hat2:

as for advice @callumhowieson
because everybody else will be talking to each other and trying to make new friends but I feel literally incapable of talking in a scenario like this.
You said it yourself, EVERYONE ELSE WILL ALSO BE TRYING TO MAKE NEW FRIENDS, I know you have SA and I would bet at least one other person might have that at the uni to some degree but at least they will TRY to make new friends, the question is callum....will you TRY?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ForestShadow
Think like that Mr howieson and its game over unfortunately.

This may sound insensitive but you need to man up and control your life. Its yours.

Dont let the self fulfilling prophecy get to you.

Youve been like this for 5 years, isnt that enough?

Do you want to be more sociable?

Unfortunately I dont have the magic bullet to turn you into a smooth james bond but the first step is realisation.

Which is now, realise that you have control and you can prove yourself and what others think wrong, what if you are actually good at talking with others WHAT IF ppl like your opinions?

Make the choice and do it, dont wait around.

You have a great opportunity this week, use it. :hat2:

You both have far more confidence in me than I have in myself... I'll give it a shot though, I'll probably end up only talking to the people that look like they are easy to talk to though, others like me. It is better than nothing I suppose.
You both have far more confidence in me than I have in myself... I'll give it a shot though, I'll probably end up only talking to the people that look like they are easy to talk to though, others like me. It is better than nothing I suppose.

Yes its defo much better than nothing but will you DO IT callum? Speaking on TSR is easy but if you do it, that is an achievement indeed from someone contemplating faking an ilness half an hour ago!

You both have far more confidence in me than I have in myself..
Therein lies the problem sir, theres an ancient Chinese saying..."think youre fly as f***, and youll be fly as f***" basically own your confidence, its easy for me to say and for you to doubt but after seeing you change your mindset even a little I think you can do it. This will be the only life you live, so make it good!

Spoiler

Original post by ForestShadow
Yes its defo much better than nothing but will you DO IT callum? Speaking on TSR is easy but if you do it, that is an achievement indeed from someone contemplating faking an ilness half an hour ago!

Therein lies the problem sir, theres an ancient Chinese saying..."think youre fly as f***, and youll be fly as f***" basically own your confidence, its easy for me to say and for you to doubt but after seeing you change your mindset even a little I think you can do it. This will be the only life you live, so make it good!

Spoiler

Thanks for the confidence boost. I'll give it a shot.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest