The Student Room Group

Xaverian or Loreto? For people in Manchester/near Manchester

So i have this option to go to either Loreto or Xaverian college, but i don't know which one to pick? I was wondering if anyone could help me decide which college to pick? In terms of what exams boards they pick for biology, chemistry and business and also the colleges in general

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've not applied to Xaverian but it seems quite clear to me that Loreto is better.

I have an offer for Loreto but will most likely be attending my school's sixth form instead.
Original post by Bilal1010
So i have this option to go to either Loreto or Xaverian college, but i don't know which one to pick? I was wondering if anyone could help me decide which college to pick? In terms of what exams boards they pick for biology, chemistry and business and also the colleges in general

None. They aren't ideal if you actually care about your education rather than shisha bars.
Reply 3
Original post by Jamie Vardy
None. They aren't ideal if you actually care about your education rather than shisha bars.

I know Xaverian is notorious for that, Loreto not as much.
Reply 4
I've applied to Xaverian but after hearing everyone's opinions of it, I don't think I'll be going.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Im going to either loreto or Stretford grammar sixth form (which i have heard almost nothing about). Most of the people from my school are going to either loreto, xaverian or Manchester college but the majority are going to loreto since its the most popular and its one of the best colleges in manchester'. xavarian is a smaller college and theres less people
Reply 6
Original post by Aamna-
I've applied to Xaverian but after hearing everyone's opinions of it, I don't think I'll be going.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what have people said about it??
Reply 7
I have had friends who have gone to both.

Neither are great IMO.

However its not even about the college, go where you feel more comfortable and where its easier for you to commute to.

End of the day the college itself has very little impact on the grades you will receive at the end of the two years. Alevels are more about self teaching than anything else.
I went to Xaverian and if you take advantage of what's there and the teaching it's a good place! I got a hell of a lot of value added from my GCSE's when I went there. However I didn't do the subjects you want to do.
Reply 9
Original post by s.mo
what have people said about it??

A variety, but mostly negative comments, when compared to Loreto. The odd few have said that it's actually very good despite its reputation. But most have said that it's not worth it, especially when you have a long commute (which I would have if I went).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by s.mo
Im going to either loreto or Stretford grammar sixth form (which i have heard almost nothing about). Most of the people from my school are going to either loreto, xaverian or Manchester college but the majority are going to loreto since its the most popular and its one of the best colleges in manchester'. xavarian is a smaller college and theres less people

I've been in Stretford Grammar for a very long time and I think you will find it a better option than any large sixth form college. It depends on the type of student you are but a small sixth form is often a lot better in terms of delivering education than large colleges where most students are thinking more about where they're going for lunch than anything else.
Hey, so I don't live in Manchester anymore but I used to, and I've heard that Loreto college is definitely the better option! My cousin is studying there right now and he loves it sooo :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by M451
I've been in Stretford Grammar for a very long time and I think you will find it a better option than any large sixth form college. It depends on the type of student you are but a small sixth form is often a lot better in terms of delivering education than large colleges where most students are thinking more about where they're going for lunch than anything else.

I havent logged on to tsr in ages so i just saw this now lol. im going to stretford (obviously if i get the results) but i cant go to the induction day :colonhash: since im busy that day. I went to ge and we have a sixth form there so i kinda know what to expect in terms of how big it is and how many people there are etc but i think people would be thinking about where they wanna go out to in any college lol
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by s.mo
I havent logged on to tsr in ages so i just saw this now lol. im going to stretford (obviously if i get the results) but i cant go to the induction day :colonhash: since im busy that day. I went to whalley range and we have a sixth form there so i kinda know what to expect in terms of how big it is and how many people there are etc but i think people would be thinking about where they wanna go out to in any college lol

Yes I agree with your final point, but there overall seems to be a much more focused atmosphere in grammar school sixth forms than large colleges. Of course, it can still be said that performance at A level is more dependent on the student than the college.
Reply 14
Original post by M451
Yes I agree with your final point, but there overall seems to be a much more focused atmosphere in grammar school sixth forms than large colleges. Of course, it can still be said that performance at A level is more dependent on the student than the college.

I juat got my enrolment papers from loreto and they seem really strict :s-smilie: is the dress code strict aswell or????

Original post by Little Popcorns
I went to Xaverian and if you take advantage of what's there and the teaching it's a good place! I got a hell of a lot of value added from my GCSE's when I went there. However I didn't do the subjects you want to do.

im thinking of going to either xaverian or stretford and idk which one to pick :dong::dong::dong:
Reply 15
Original post by s.mo
I juat got my enrolment papers from loreto and they seem really strict :s-smilie: is the dress code strict aswell or????

Dress code appears to be totally casual. It seems like anything "normal" goes, so just try not to turn up in a onesie or a bikini and you should be fine.

Stretford has a formal dress code so is a lot stricter in that respect.
Loreto has the awful wjec for biology, but the other exam boards are great. Also xav is more independent so if you need to be pushed to do your work choose Loreto

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
what exam boards are being done in Loreto for Physics and Chemistry and English language?
Opening this discussion back up because this question seems to be the big one! It seems that Loreto is perceived to be the 'better' college but I feel this is because a) it tells you this at the open day and b) because it gets better results by only allowing good achieving students to continue into upper sixth. Of course, all colleges chuck out under performing students but it seems Loreto do this more than most (I feel, cynically, to maintain their great results so they can boast about these at the open day. They really lay it on thick). On the plus side, they will really push you so that this doesn't happen. If you are the type of person who needs more of a 'school like' feel then I guess Loreto is better. Xaverian is perceived to be the more relaxed and friendly college, and it certainly comes across as this. There were no swipes at neighbouring colleges during its open days and information days. The college ethos seems to be one of developing the whole person and fostering independence and although they also have high expectations of hard work, they expect students to do a lot of this independently alongside a very good pastoral support system. There is also a good supportive pastoral system at Loreto. Both colleges are 'Outstanding'. Both colleges get good results and both colleges are in the same area. It really comes down to personal preference and how you feel the college will suit you and your way of working. They are both excellent academic institutions. I have spoken to students at both. I have had mixed reviews of Loreto. Some love it, some are unhappy. Everyone loved Xaverian. The choice is yours..
Update? Where did you end up going and how did you find it? I have offers from both Loreto and Xaverian but unsure.

Quick Reply

Latest