The Student Room Group

Most degrees are a total waste of time

There are obviously a few careers in which having a degree is more or less essentially, such as medicine, law, engineering, etc, but other than those having a degree these days seems totally pointless and just debt for the sake of it.

The degrees I'd say are particularly worthless are most Arts and Social Sciences degrees. Most employers don't value them and it seems to me that they do little to increase most graduate's job prospects.

Ultimately I think the university system these days is a total racket designed to keep the tens of thousands of university staff in jobs. Most universities know that a large proportion of the courses they run are useless, but they continue to offer them because universities operate like businesses today, not as public institutions with a level of social responsibility.

Really career success comes down to natural talent and the drive to succeed in my opinion. I highly doubt that the vast majority of Arts and Social Science graduates get any further in their careers with their degree than if they hadn't bothered to do a degree.

With the exception of a few industries as mentioned above, most companies don't seem interested in what degree you have. All most companies are interested in is what experience you have in that particular field.

It seems to me that most companies would take a far more favourable view of someone who has spent 3 years aquiring work experience in their chosen field and building their CV rather than going to university, than someone who has spent 3 years doing an Arts or Social Science degree and has never worked a day in their life.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:yawn:
In comparison to other degrees... maybe. But for the most part, going to university to study anything is better than not going to university at all.
Original post by TobaccoSmoke
There are obviously a few careers in which having a degree is more or less essentially, such as medicine, law, engineering, etc, but other than those having a degree these days seems totally pointless and just debt for the sake of it.

The degrees I'd say are particularly worthless are most Arts and Social Sciences degrees. Most employers don't value them and it seems to me that they do little to increase most graduate's job prospects.

Ultimately I think the university system these days is a total racket designed to keep the tens of thousands of university staff in jobs. Most universities know that a large proportion of the courses they run are useless, but they continue to offer them because universities operate like businesses today, not as public institutions with a level of social responsibility.

Really career success comes down to natural talent and the drive to succeed in my opinion. I highly doubt that the vast majority of Arts and Social Science graduates get any further in their careers with their degree than if they hadn't bothered to do a degree.

With the exception of a few industries as mentioned above, most companies don't seem interested in what degree you have. All most companies are interested in is what experience you have in that particular field.

It seems to me that most companies would take a far more favourable view of someone who has spent 3 years aquiring work experience in their chosen field and building their CV rather than going to university, than someone who has spent 3 years doing an Arts or Social Science degree and has never worked a day in their life.

So many people are attending university now that entry level roles are increasingly beginning to say that a degree is required

Posted from TSR Mobile
ITT: An OP who can't think of graduate careers apart from law, medicine and engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by TimGB
In comparison to other degrees... maybe. But for the most part, going to university to study anything is better than not going to university at all.

Very, very wrong.

What would be better is to spend a third of the money on getting actual business qualifications such as Prince2 and Six Sigma. That would be worth infinitely more on a CV than "English lit" or "Psychology".

I know this is an obvious :troll: but what is your opinion on chemistry and medicinal chemistry?
I feel like my degree would be a waste of time because it's not academic at all.
I would go for another route but that is almost inpossible...otherwise, I would love to save money
Original post by geoking
Very, very wrong.

What would be better is to spend a third of the money on getting actual business qualifications such as Prince2 and Six Sigma. That would be worth infinitely more on a CV than "English lit" or "Psychology".

A lot of jobs will require you to have a degree. Professionally qualifications that an employer cares about are usually provided by the employer

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't say that to the overly sensitive bunch on here who can't take an ounce of criticism over their choice of degree. You're entirely right I think and that's how we have this current mess of a system. Entitled young people being told by their parents, schools and politicians that they have to go to university right away as soon as they leave school to go study anyhting(because apparently all degrees are equal?) and they will immediately get rich and be in the middle class otherwise they're the village idiot. News flash, most of the university type these days are THE village idiots. They were idiotic enough to be spoon fed the rhetoric until they believed absolutely everything and agreed to sign their future away with all that student debt(which they all suddenly regret as soon as university finished and beg for loan forgiveness like a bunch of paupers). Sorry kiddos but you bought the lie, ran with it and tripped over and broke your legs and fractured your skull. University is not the only option. I suppose the sheep flocking to uni left the opportunities open to us wise few to get into non degree requiring fields such as the trades, the military, the navy and public services whilst you all went gallivating off feeling like you were all self important and going to change the world(the reality being you're all in debt with degrees employers sorely don't care about with little experience on your side and being a raging sex pest/alcoholic after uni). Ah the university experience, it sounds so great on paper but that's just it. Anything on paper, in theory, is just that. A theory. I won't deny university works for some but it works only for those who have really made good decisions as to what they study, how they minimise the amount of loans they need to take out etc. Rant over. Well, come on then, come at me with "Oh my psychology degree is so valuable, everyone should bow to me, ho ho ho ho".
Original post by Underscore__
A lot of jobs will require you to have a degree. Professionally qualifications that an employer cares about are usually provided by the employer

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's just wrong. Most jobs don't ask for a degree, and suggesting that employers will give training if need be is a) a flat out lie and b) utterly redundant.

If you look at a job description that asks for business qualifications,if you don't have those qualifications, you won't get the job regardless of their attitude towards training.
Original post by geoking
That's just wrong. Most jobs don't ask for a degree, and suggesting that employers will give training if need be is a) a flat out lie and b) utterly redundant.

If you look at a job description that asks for business qualifications,if you don't have those qualifications, you won't get the job regardless of their attitude towards training.

I'm yet to see an entry level job that asks for specific business qualifications and doesn't ask for a degree. If you could find me a couple that would be greatly appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
What a closed minded way to think. Did you ever think that money isn't the driving force of everyone's decisions, some people study a subject because they are interested in it and they want to learn. It may be useless to you as there isn't a determined job available at the end of it but knowLedge gained from a degree is priceless. Not to mention the skills you acquire during a degree, you may not have a fixed job at the end but if I was an employer I would value someone with any degree Over someone who has done nothing, if you're willing to commit yourself to one subject for 3 years and work hard that indicates you are a hardworker etc etc.

economics and law are both arts/social sciences

I have to agree with you! A lot of the degree courses are rather pointless and a waste of money. Majority of people I know just do a degree for the sake of having a degree. In September I hope to study psychology which is a pointless degree if that's the only level you reach to. I'm hoping to do a doctorate in clinical psychology or a PhD after my degree. But to be honest, many that just do a degree won't really get anywhere unless they have a solid plan or goals to do further study or a specific career.
Original post by loveleest
I feel like my degree would be a waste of time because it's not academic at all.
I would go for another route but that is almost inpossible...otherwise, I would love to save money

What degree is this ?
Psychology isn't a useless degree if you actually get a job in the psychology field afterwards or progress onto a PhD or something such as a DClinPsy. Most jobs in this field require at least a bachelors degree in psychology. You can't just rock up to a job interview for being a psychologist and be like "Hi I have no degree in the subject even though you require one but hey, I have some business qualifications!". However, if you do a psychology degree and then don't do anything with it then it probably is useless.
Original post by Kadak
What degree is this ?

Film production. I honestly think I am wasting my time and money.

I would rather do an apprenticeship/internship but I just feel as if there aren't any...
i do business management and have done business studies too
i feel that that is an essential degree to have
EVERY career needs management of some kind

Latest

Trending

Trending