The Student Room Group

Cashing in modules when doing AQA Core Maths but Edexcel Further Maths

Hi, I need some advice/help/clarity regarding what my options are.

My school used to do AQA Core Maths and AQA Further Maths but changed to Edexcel Further Maths before I started Y12. I know it's stupid, but I didn't know anything about cashing in modules when I started so I just trusted the school would be doing the right thing.

Anyway the different exam boards complicates the module cash-ins, as everyone knows if both Core and Further are done on the same exam board the modules are swapped between the subjects to ensure the best grades. I can't do this, my school had to submit which modules counted for each subject (core or further) in February or something... so I am pretty disadvantaged as my modules will not be automatically arranged for the best grades.

If I COULD switch my modules I think I would get A* in Core and an A in Further, but as this is not the case I am likely to get a B/C in Further.

Does anyone know what I can do? Maybe after results day I can get them changed or something? Like take a year out, submit the modules in the way I want them to be organised for next years results?

Any help and advice is appreciated although I know this is something people probably don't know anything about because it's so stupid. Essentially I am going to miss my uni offer because of my school's decision to do different exam boards...

Thanks
Original post by JamieOH

My school used to do AQA Core Maths and AQA Further Maths but changed to Edexcel Further Maths before I started Y12. I know it's stupid, but I didn't know anything about cashing in modules when I started so I just trusted the school would be doing the right thing.

Anyway the different exam boards complicates the module cash-ins, as everyone knows if both Core and Further are done on the same exam board the modules are swapped between the subjects to ensure the best grades. I can't do this, my school had to submit which modules counted for each subject (core or further) in February or something... so I am pretty disadvantaged as my modules will not be automatically arranged for the best grades.

If I COULD switch my modules I think I would get A* in Core and an A in Further, but as this is not the case I am likely to get a B/C in Further.

Does anyone know what I can do? Maybe after results day I can get them changed or something? Like take a year out, submit the modules in the way I want them to be organised for next years results?

Any help and advice is appreciated although I know this is something people probably don't know anything about because it's so stupid. Essentially I am going to miss my uni offer because of my school's decision to do different exam boards...

Thanks

It is a very odd situation for your school to put you in. Having made this decision they should have explained how this might affect your results so that you could prepare strategically for the exams. From my understanding of how the process works you won't be able to swap module results into new combinations because you have taken the exams with different examiners. You can't for example combine 4 Aqa results with 2 Edexcel results to get a grade. If you do miss your offer and can't find a uni place this year, the only thing I believe you can do is retake some of the Edexcel further maths units to improve your overall result. Talk to your exams office as they are the best people to confirm this with Edexcel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42
It is a very odd situation for your school to put you in. Having made this decision they should have explained how this might affect your results so that you could prepare strategically for the exams. From my understanding of how the process works you won't be able to swap module results into new combinations because you have taken the exams with different examiners. You can't for example combine 4 Aqa results with 2 Edexcel results to get a grade. If you do miss your offer and can't find a uni place this year, the only thing I believe you can do is retake some of the Edexcel further maths units to improve your overall result. Talk to your exams office as they are the best people to confirm this with Edexcel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by JamieOH

Thanks

There is a form that has to be submitted to Edexcel, which your exams officer will fill out, showing the modules you took to certificate AQA A-Level Maths. You will have to declare your units for A-Level Further Maths in advance, as you suspected to be the case. As far as I know, there is no way to rearrange the modules afterwards.

If you end up missing your uni offer because of it, you would have a strong case against your school and so I would suggest taking legal action against them.
Reply 3
Original post by HapaxOromenon3
There is a form that has to be submitted to Edexcel, which your exams officer will fill out, showing the modules you took to certificate AQA A-Level Maths. You will have to declare your units for A-Level Further Maths in advance, as you suspected to be the case. As far as I know, there is no way to rearrange the modules afterwards.

If you end up missing your uni offer because of it, you would have a strong case against your school and so I would suggest taking legal action against them.

Though I would love to sue my school, I'm not sure I'd have a very strong case against them.
Original post by JamieOH
Though I would love to sue my school, I'm not sure I'd have a very strong case against them.

As a result of their negligence, in executing a change of board halfway through the course, you directly failed to meet your uni offer - that is precisely the definition of a tort in law.
Reply 5
They changed the year before I started, so from the start of AS I was doing AQA Core and Edexcel Further. If that matters.
Original post by JamieOH
They changed the year before I started, so from the start of AS I was doing AQA Core and Edexcel Further. If that matters.

Really unfortunate.
Your school are ****ing retarded.
Sorry if u miss the offer because of them, hopefully you won't :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JamieOH

My argument's still valid. The fact is, if you miss your offer, you will have suffered directly as a result of your school's action, which was (remember this phrase) manifestly unreasonable. Thus you have a case against them.

Quick Reply

Latest