The Student Room Group

Does my sister's friend like me?

I've had a big crush on my sister's friend for a few years now. I'm 19, and she's 17.

I just don't know whether she likes me in the same way or not. We've never had long conversations in person or have hung out together on our own, but we do get on well and I've certainly known her the longest out of all of my sister's friends. But it's only in the last few years where I've developed these stronger feelings for her and I don't know if she may feel the same way or not, and if so should I try to pursue it?

When we were both at upper school, there would be many times where I would walk past her, whether she was alone or with other friends, and if she saw me she would always say "hi rob!", whether I'd noticed her beforehand or not, and of course I'd always say "hi" back. There was even one occasion where I was walking through the grounds, and she was hanging out with a group of friends right on the opposite side, a fair distance from me. I hadn't noticed her, but she saw me and she actually called "hi rob!" right out to me, and of course I responded when I saw it was her.

I've since started uni and she still goes to my old school so we don't bump into each other anymore. I did send her a quick message before I went just wishing her luck with sixth form, ending it with two kisses, and she responded with just one kiss, although a few years before we used to gossip a little bit on Facebook about my sister and would normally share two kisses.

However, I have seen her a couple of times since coming back for the holidays, both times at the gym. They're both fairly similar circumstances, but the first time my sister and her were going together and I came along with them, and the friend said hi and asked how I was, and as she left, she said goodbye to me and wished me well for my next semester, which is something that my sister's other friends don't normally do.
The other time at the gym was this Summer, and it was a little embarrassing because I was on the equipment with headphones on, and she and another friend used the equipment a few rows down from me, and the friend called "hi" to me and asked how I was, and obviously I had to remove my headphones first, but I thought it was nice she said something despite that. We didn't really speak again that day although we did occasionally see each other and make eye contact when using the other equipment and we both smiled at each other when we did.

I've just had my birthday, and she never normally posted anything on my wall, but this year she surprisingly did, saying "Happy birthday rob! Have a lovely day", which was nice to see considering my sister's friends don't normally do that. She has also liked a few pictures of me that I've posted on Facebook and Instagram as well.

I know she may just be being nice, but at the same time she always made the effort to say something to me when at times there literally was no need. For instance, when she was hanging out with her friends and she called right across to me when I hadn't even seen her, and none of my sister's other friends are this friendly with me.

As of September I'll be in my second year at uni and she'll be in Year 13, but my uni isn't too far from home so travelling wouldn't be too bad. But do you think she may possibly like me back, or am I looking into this too much? And also if she does, would it be worth trying to do something about it or would it be better to just leave it alone and move on? Thanks for your suggestions! :smile:
Reply 1
@RobertEllis97 think of it this way, how would you feel if one of your friends who you had known for years started dating your sister, most people would find that really creapy and the same applies.

If you really want to try and start dating your sisters friend you should definitely ask your sisters permission first. And that way either she says "no" so you don't or she says "yes" and you have one of the girls friends helping to get you two together. Either way don't make a move without your sisters permission.
Original post by Aph
@RobertEllis97 think of it this way, how would you feel if one of your friends who you had known for years started dating your sister, most people would find that really creapy and the same applies.

If you really want to try and start dating your sisters friend you should definitely ask your sisters permission first. And that way either she says "no" so you don't or she says "yes" and you have one of the girls friends helping to get you two together. Either way don't make a move without your sisters permission.
Yeah I know what you mean. Coming from my perspective, I personally wouldn't mind if someone I'd known a long time suddenly wanted to date my sister as long as they'd told me first, but that's just the way I see things and I understand not everyone sees it like that. I personally don't know how my sister would react if I told her that I liked her friend but I don't think it would be a really bad reaction. One of the reasons I've not tried anything is because I just don't know whether the friend likes me back or not. I realise I'd have to take the risk if I really want to try, but I guess I'd just like to hear others' opinions first. I remember there were also a few times when I may have said something amusing and she would respond with "love you rob!" in a friendly way, but I still found the wording to be interesting all the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending