The Student Room Group

Foreign languages

I was thinking of doing GCSE French, and German. But is it really worth studying languages?
Yeah, hope that helped.
nah but what do you mean by is it worth? If you mean like if it's gonna be useful or not I guess it's really up to you. It'll definitely help you to speak the language and it would get you to an okay level of speaking.

If the A-levels you choose are not related to languages or won't be anything related I guess you could say it's not worth but think about what you would study instead, like is doing Latin or History instead going to be 'worth it?'

Tbh it doesn't really matter what GCSEs you do as long as they're 'normal' ones and you get a good grade in them, so you might as well do the ones you enjoy the most and feel you could do well in.
Original post by Hambi123
I was thinking of doing GCSE French, and German. But is it really worth studying languages?

Yes, they're really useful and enjoyable!
Taking two languages was easier for me because the exam structure and topics that we covered were basically the same.
But if you don't enjoy languages, then there is no need to take them. If you enjoy French and German and think you can get a high grade in them, then you shouldn't worry about how useful they are because there are many benefits to speaking languages, even at a low level.

Quick Reply

Latest