The Student Room Group

Question on pharmacists

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by mediaya
Wow that sounds stressful... I mean for you! Did u not need any pharmacy degree to work in there tho? :s-smilie:

You get used to it. Like I said, I'm there for the money and nowhere other than retail can give me 8 hours a week. I'm lucky I do only 8 hours, imagine the poor dispensers doing 40 hours- it can physically and mentally drain you. There have been times where I've mentally cracked and thought about leaving right there, but then you think...it's only 8 hours...i'm out of jail then.

No you don't need a pharmacy degree. You get a NVQ qualification, like level 2 or something. Only the pharmacist needs the degree.

I'm more qualified than the pharmacists, which is quite funny. Well they got good investing advice from me, I make a good deal investing in the financial markets.
Original post by fg45344
Community is higher pay but more work. If you are in a busy pharmacy, with incompetent staff and bastard customers, you will feel you have entered the threshold of hell. I go there for the money, I have no shame in admitting it. I do my day's work and then get on with my real life for the week.

The only benefit I have got from pharmacy is appreciating what hard work is, I've had times after a 9 hour shift where I physically can't stand anymore. I just drive home and take an ibuprofen and go to sleep. The legs take a day to recover. If you work on a regular basis, your leg muscles will develop. Coming back to do a 9 hour shift after a month off means your legs break after the 9 hours. Yes, we don't get proper breaks as well!

But the key is to take rest after standing for 6/7 hours at a time, if you don't you will damage your leg muscles.

Yh i thought of that too....

Omg it literally is the complete opposite of what i thought... I thought it was quiet n relaxed......but i can even go to damaging leg muscles.... Never ever thought about that, now it depresses me... I dont wanna be a pharmacist anymore.......i dont what i wanna be now :redface:
Reply 22
Original post by mediaya
Yh i thought of that too....

Omg it literally is the complete opposite of what i thought... I thought it was quiet n relaxed......but i can even go to damaging leg muscles.... Never ever thought about that, now it depresses me... I dont wanna be a pharmacist anymore.......i dont what i wanna be now :redface:

There are times when it can be quiet, but my boss is a bit of a bastard, so he leaves a lot of work for you to do inside as well. So you have so much to do inside and then you get customers from outside. And then if things go wrong, you have to take abuse from customers about some screw up someone else made a few days ago.

Best thing to do is this, try out work experience in a pharmacy and see how you like or dislike it. Do a proper 8 hour shift and see how you feel.

Our pharmacy doesn't even take work experience cos they don't want the hassle of training you, how sad! I would have thought they would have jumped on the free slave labour.
Original post by fg45344
You get used to it. Like I said, I'm there for the money and nowhere other than retail can give me 8 hours a week. I'm lucky I do only 8 hours, imagine the poor dispensers doing 40 hours- it can physically and mentally drain you. There have been times where I've mentally cracked and thought about leaving right there, but then you think...it's only 8 hours...i'm out of jail then.

No you don't need a pharmacy degree. You get a NVQ qualification, like level 2 or something. Only the pharmacist needs the degree.

I'm more qualified than the pharmacists, which is quite funny. Well they got good investing advice from me, I make a good deal investing in the financial markets.

Oh okay so after gcse, you can work in a pharmacy.... What do u mean '' only the pharmacist needs the degree''.... Is there only one pharmacist n all the others are just worker/helpers or something?
Reply 24
Original post by mediaya
Oh okay so after gcse, you can work in a pharmacy.... What do u mean '' only the pharmacist needs the degree''.... Is there only one pharmacist n all the others are just worker/helpers or something?

Yes....1 king slave and the others are helper slaves.

Now if the king slave is evil, he will make all the helper slaves do all the work. Then you have to take 2 ibuprofen before going to sleep.

Most places run with one pharmacist at a time (to save money), though in an ideal world you would have 2. One checking and the other given consultations.
Original post by fg45344

Now if the king slave is evil, he will make all the helper slaves do all the work. Then you have to take 2 ibuprofen before going to sleep.

Most places run with one pharmacist at a time (to save money), though in an ideal world you would have 2. One checking and the other given consultations.

:cry2:makes me wanna cry seriously:cry2:

So a pharmacist has to open his own pharmacy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fg45344

Btw, how much do get paid for 8 hours? If u dont mind me asking ofc:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by mediaya
:cry2:makes me wanna cry seriously:cry2:

So a pharmacist has to open his own pharmacy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't cry...it's just a negative experience in life i've had to go through. There are a lot of other positives in my life though as well. Like I said, it can be like hell if everything is bad....like your boss, the colleagues, the customers, the workload. I'm sure there are a lot of good pharmacies out there as well. Just the one I work in is bad and it has a reputation for being bad, you can ask the locums that come there.

I probably work in like the bottom 1% of worst pharmacies.

No anyone can open a pharmacy, but you need a qualified pharmacist to run it.
Reply 28
Original post by mediaya
Btw, how much do get paid for 8 hours? If u dont mind me asking ofc:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I get £8.20 an hour

locums get £19 an hour on weekdays, £21 an hour on weekends
regular pharmacist gets £20 an hour
Original post by fg45344
Don't cry...it's just a negative experience in life i've had to go through. There are a lot of other positives in my life though as well. Like I said, it can be like hell if everything is bad....like your boss, the colleagues, the customers, the workload. I'm sure there are a lot of good pharmacies out there as well. Just the one I work in is bad and it has a reputation for being bad, you can ask the locums that come there.

I probably work in like the bottom 1% of worst pharmacies.

No anyone can open a pharmacy, but you need a qualified pharmacist to run it.

Oh right... Thanks for all the info:yep:
Aww poor u!

Pharmacies probably have a pharmacists tho, so if u get a qualification in pharmacy... You wont find a free pharmacy to run it would u?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by mediaya
Oh right... Thanks for all the info:yep:
Aww poor u!

Pharmacies probably have a pharmacists tho, so if u get a qualification in pharmacy... You wont find a free pharmacy to run it would u?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pharmacists in the UK need to have a MPharm degree and then one year of Pre Reg, then they need to pass the Pre Reg exams and then register with the GPC (General Pharmaceutical Council)

When you have that, you can apply for Pharmacist jobs in say asda, boots etc or work in a hospital pharmacy....or even do something else....do a PhD in pharmacology for example.

I know a locum with a MPharm who works in business development for Accenture, so you can do other stuff with a MPharm degree
Original post by fg45344
I get £8.20 an hour

locums get £19 an hour on weekdays, £21 an hour on weekends
regular pharmacist gets £20 an hour

Oh okay
I find that a bit low tho.... I seen in this website that u get paid load as a pharmacist
http://work.chron.com/much-pharmacist-make-annually-3545.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by mediaya
Oh okay
I find that a bit low tho.... I seen in this website that u get paid load as a pharmacist
http://work.chron.com/much-pharmacist-make-annually-3545.html

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the US they do, in the UK we pay a lot of tax to feed the chavs.

US healthcare system is all private though, with a lot of people taking out healthcare insurance. UK system is public, for now!
Reply 33
Pharmacists don't only have to work in a pharmacy, there are different types of Pharmacists, one can be an industrial pharmacist working for a chemical manufacturing company and working in research labs or one can be a doctor of pharmacy, so it's a broad spectrum kind of career.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending