The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yeah1106
Photo on 09-07-2016 at 17.46.jpgPlz can someone explain which sets do these shape belong to and why. I can seem to sport a pattern

SO i'm thinking that the trends are...
In set A:
is that you always have two sets of 2 sequential black objects split by a white object. Between these two sets there is a white object. Finally there is also a sequence of 3 white objects.

In set B on the other hand:
You always have the same number of stars as circles... maybe also something else i can't see yet

Hence....
Shape 1: set B because same number of stars as circles
Shape 2: Neither, because differing numbers of starts and circles, also doesn't have 2 sets of 2 sequential black shapes
Shape 3: Set A , 2 sets of 2 sequential black shapes
shape 4: Set B, doesn't have the sequence required for set A , but does have same number of stars as circles as required by set B
shape 5: set A , because there is 2 black stars , a white circle then 2 more black shapes ... follows Set A sequence
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChuckyTownXL
SO i'm thinking that the trends are...
In set A:
is that you always have two sets of 2 sequential black objects split by a white object. Between these two sets there is a white object. Finally there is also a sequence of 3 white objects.

In set B on the other hand:
You always have the same number of stars as circles... maybe also something else i can't see yet

Hence....
Shape 1: set B because same number of stars as circles
Shape 2: Neither, because differing numbers of starts and circles, also doesn't have 2 sets of 2 sequential black shapes
Shape 3: Set A , 2 sets of 2 sequential black shapes
shape 4: Set B, doesn't have the sequence required for set A , but does have same number of stars as circles as required by set B
shape 5: set A , because there is 2 black stars , a white circle then 2 more black shapes ... follows Set A sequence

Shape 3 and Shape 5 also follow set B though.
Original post by 123chem
Shape 3 and Shape 5 also follow set B though.

having the same number of stars and circles is not the defining trait for set B, because set A has 2 boxes that also fits this (top left, bottom left). the main distinction is set A as 2 blacks separated by 1 white shape (with an overall sequence: black-black-white-black-black-white-white-white), whilst set B does not.

another rule is that there cannot be 3 blacks in the same row or column in B.

the answers should be BNABA.
How did you practice? Which books did you use?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi
Can anyone recommend good books with explanations and questions in for the UKCAT test?

Thanks!
Original post by daisie
Hi
Can anyone recommend good books with explanations and questions in for the UKCAT test?

Thanks!

The new 1000q book. Or better yet, just get medify.
Does anyone know how long you get for the abstract and quantitative sections of the ukcat please? Also any tips please? As I can't do the quantitative to save my life and my test is I like 2 weeks (eek!)
And what percentage score do you need on sit judge for the different sections? Thanks!
well for abstract reasoning its 14 mins (excluding one min reading time) and quantitative I think its bout 25 or 29 mins not sure and sorry I cant give any tips im noy even sure of how im going to do on the test so scared and the situational judgement again idk ukcat dont really post much about how the score

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daisie
Hi

Thanks!

Most people use a combination of the new ISC 1000Q book (formerly 600Q) and Medify for online practice. Then if you can afford it, you might consider the Kaplan course, though there are mixed opinions about attending courses in general.
Completed my test just 10 minutes ago:

VR 700
QR 890
AR 800
SJT band 1

Resources used: medify, 1000Q

I really mucked up VR and it pulled my score down.. I was panicking and guessed for the last two passages. I think the difficulty of the questions I encountered was mostly comparable to medify's. Great resource imo.

On a side note, what are your thoughts on this score? Not too familiar with university cutoffs, but which universities do you think would favour this score (I'm applying for dentistry)?
Original post by Poofyheadkid

VR 700
QR 890
AR 800
SJT band 1

I really mucked up VR and it pulled my score down.. I was panicking and guessed for the last two passages. I think the difficulty of the questions I encountered was mostly comparable to medify's. Great resource imo.

On a side note, what are your thoughts on this score? Not too familiar with university cutoffs, but which universities do you think would favour this score (I'm applying for dentistry)?

The national average for VR is around 580 every year so 700 is a very good score.

VR 700
QR 890
AR 800
SJT band 1

Tbh I don't think your gonna have any unis that won't favour that score! It's fantastic! Any top tips for the rest of us, how much practice did you do each day and for how long before your exam

VR 700
QR 890
AR 800
SJT band 1

Is medify better than the 1000 Q's book? What are the differences/advantages of both?
Original post by 123chem
Is medify better than the 1000 Q's book? What are the differences/advantages of both?

They just offer two different complementary things.
I used both for practice.

Medify is good because there are a lot of questions and it is online so you get a feel for how the calculator works, the format etc. It's useful when you go to the exam as you are already familiar, but at £35 for one week (and realistically you will need more than one week to do 2000 questions) it is quite pricey. Most of the questions are on par with the exam though some people have found some sections too simple.

ISC 1000Q is good because you get more depth in the explanations and you can take your time to focus on technique. It's also more portable because it's a book. Much of the book is on par with the exam, though some people have found the AR slightly challenging.

Hence, if you can afford both then you get the full spectrum.
Original post by UKCATrocks
The national average for VR is around 580 every year so 700 is a very good score.

'messed up'.... i cant even get 700 in any of my sections in practice.. i keep scoring only 660 av... going away for 2 weeks pn holiday then got 2 weeks when im back to practice.... so im screwed.....
Original post by clairebear101
'messed up'.... i cant even get 700 in any of my sections in practice.. i keep scoring only 660 av... going away for 2 weeks pn holiday then got 2 weeks when im back to practice.... so im screwed.....

Woah calm down!! What you get in practice and what you get in the real thing often has very little correlation so i advise against counting scores. Just make sure your getting the answers correct and getting it all done in time.

I was getting below 500 for QR in practice and in the real thing i got 800, but then again i was getting over 600 for VR and in the real thing i got 540 so it really doesnt correlate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Euan1603
Tbh I don't think your gonna have any unis that won't favour that score! It's fantastic! Any top tips for the rest of us, how much practice did you do each day and for how long before your exam

Haha that's good to hear! Umm I started studying 6 weeks before the test on weekends for about 3-4 hours a day. I think that 6 weeks was pretty long because I didn't have enough materials to last me 6 weeks and I redid some mocks. I think 4 weeks is definitely enough especially if you are free to study on weekdays as well. As far as tips go..

VR: don't choke, be consistent with your technique. I couldn't decide between scanning for keywords and reading the passage in its entirety and didn't really approach this section in a methodical manner. In hindsight I would have stuck to reading the passage fully and understanding it (especially since now a majority of questions are the statement sort). This takes more time, but I feel that with practice it was doable (though I kind of freaked out during the actual thing, reverted to keyword scanning and STILL wasn't able to finish in time). But definitely do what works for you, just be consistent so you don't crack under the pressure on the real day.

QR: This section was way easier than the official UKCAT mocks (especially mock A). Medify is slightly more difficult than the actual thing. Just practice how to read information from diagrams quickly and be comfortable with using the numpad and marker.

AR: slightly easier than Medify. Nail the timing and it will be okay. Don't spend too long on one pattern. If you've found one condition and you don't have much time then forget about the 'second condition'. Most of the time you'll get most of the answers and sometimes a second condition might not exist even if the pattern is really simple.

SJT: I'm not sure how I got band 1. I always got band 2 on Medify and around 40/69 on ukcat mocks. I suppose just remember some scenarios where ethical stances are quite definite (things like integrity, patient safety and well-being etc). In the test I encountered many strange scenarios and I thought I would do badly

Definitely ration out your Mock tests. Practice test A on the ukcat site is too hard whilst practice tests B and C are slightly harder than the real thing.

I would not suggest using kaplan's red book. I have a copy but decided not to use it because I find that their AR and SJT sections are weird. QR is too easy on the kaplan book too.1000Q is great but does not allow you to get accustomed to the computer system.
(edited 7 years ago)
Haha that's good to hear! Umm I started studying 6 weeks before the test on weekends for about 3-4 hours a day. I think that 6 weeks was pretty long because I didn't have enough materials to last me 6 weeks and I redid some mocks. I think 4 weeks is definitely enough especially if you are free to study on weekdays as well. As far as tips go..

VR: don't choke, be consistent with your technique. I couldn't decide between scanning for keywords and reading the passage in its entirety and didn't really approach this section in a methodical manner. In hindsight I would have stuck to reading the passage fully and understanding it (especially since now a majority of questions are the statement sort). This takes more time, but I feel that with practice it was doable (though I kind of freaked out during the actual thing, reverted to keyword scanning and STILL wasn't able to finish in time). But definitely do what works for you, just be consistent so you don't crack under the pressure on the real day.

QR: This section was way easier than the official UKCAT mocks (especially mock A). Medify is slightly more difficult than the actual thing. Just practice how to read information from diagrams quickly and be comfortable with using the numpad and marker.

AR: slightly easier than Medify. Nail the timing and it will be okay. Don't spend too long on one pattern. If you've found one condition and you don't have much time then forget about the 'second condition'. Most of the time you'll get most of the answers and sometimes a second condition might not exist even if the pattern is really simple.

SJT: I'm not sure how I got band 1. I always got band 2 on Medify and around 40/69 on ukcat mocks. I suppose just remember some scenarios where ethical stances are quite definite (things like integrity, patient safety and well-being etc). In the test I encountered many strange scenarios and I thought I would do badly

Definitely ration out your Mock tests. Practice test A on the ukcat site is too hard whilst practice tests B and C are slightly harder than the real thing.

I would not suggest using kaplan's red book. I have a copy but decided not to use it because I find that their AR and SJT sections are weird. QR is too easy on the kaplan book too.1000Q is great but does not allow you to get accustomed to the computer system.

Woah thanks for such an in depth answer! I've got mine on the 28th of this month so not long now! I remember doing practice A a while back and it worried me because i was getting a big majority wrong haha. VR is one that I can't seem to decide a specific technique on answering, you said you got a majority of statement questions, they are the worst! Anyway good luck in applying! Hope you get a place at your preferred uni
Original post by clairebear101

Don't worry, I feel that people will tend to do better on the real test though as @Natalierm2707 says, the mocks aren't really a good indication of anything. If it boosts your confidence knowing a gauge of your score then great, but don't let it discourage you. I was discouraged by my mock results too. On the official practice test A, I got something like 21/36 for QR and I freaked out.

2 weeks is enough imo if you've already started studying a bit haha.. But if you don't think you're prepared you can still reschedule your test on the Pearson website right!
Original post by Euan1603
Woah thanks for such an in depth answer! I've got mine on the 28th of this month so not long now! I remember doing practice A a while back and it worried me because i was getting a big majority wrong haha. VR is one that I can't seem to decide a specific technique on answering, you said you got a majority of statement questions, they are the worst! Anyway good luck in applying! Hope you get a place at your preferred uni

No problem haha! Good luck for your UKCAT (-:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending