The Student Room Group

Flag burning

Apparently a man in Illinois has been arrested for burning and American flag and sharing it on Facebook. He also received death threats for it, but the people who issued them faced no consequences.

So, what do you think? Should flag burning be illegal? If so, why? Personally, I think that it's pointless but support everyone's right to burn whichever inanimate object they want, as long as it doesn't belong to someone else. Punishing people for flag burning resembles blasphemy laws a bit too much.

Scroll to see replies

It shouldn't be illegal. My guess is that the man will be released anyway.

If they buy a flag or a Qu'ran or whatever, then they should be able to do what they like with it.

It is called Free speech. I don't need to like it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WBZ144
Apparently a man in Illinois has been arrested for burning and American flag and sharing it on Facebook. He also received death threats for it, but the people who issued them faced no consequences.

So, what do you think? Should flag burning be illegal? If so, why? Personally, I think that it's pointless but support everyone's right to burn whichever inanimate object they want, as long as it doesn't belong to someone else. Punishing people for flag burning resembles blasphemy laws a bit too much.

I don't think flag burning should be illegal, it's one of the many ways people may express their dissatisfaction with a country or ideology and curtailing that is an infringement of free speech.
To me, it's just another piece of material. :colonhash:

I suppose for some it's offensive because of what the flag symbolises but even then people should have the freedom to burn it if they wish (provided it belongs to them, of course).

Sending a death threat is worse than burning a flag.
Well, burning the American flag is a crime. I'm pretty sure it's a federal crime too. If he filmed himself doing it and posted it online he will most definitely be convicted of the crime. I am an American and I personally feel it should not be a crime. It should be protected under the first amendment of free speech. I think the American flag is merely just a symbol and I don't think symbols should be given any kind of special protection under the law. He should not have filmed himself committing a crime and posting it online.
Just a thought: Antonin Scalia, of all people, defended flag-burning under the first amendment.

Freedoms like these shouldn't be burnt away

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Legendary Quest
To me, it's just another piece of material. :colonhash:

I suppose for some it's offensive because of what the flag symbolises but even then people should have the freedom to burn it if they wish (provided it belongs to them, of course).

Sending a death threat is worse than burning a flag.

PRSOM
Original post by emobambam
Well, burning the American flag is a crime. I'm pretty sure it's a federal crime too. If he filmed himself doing it and posted it online he will most definitely be convicted of the crime. I am an American and I personally feel it should not be a crime. It should be protected under the first amendment of free speech. I think the American flag is merely just a symbol and I don't think symbols should be given any kind of special protection under the law. He should not have filmed himself committing a crime and posting it online.

You're right; it was a stupid thing to do. That being said, some countries (especially certain Islamic countries) have blasphemy laws. If someone was arrested for insulting a religion or burning a religious scripture, I would be more inclined to criticise the laws that infringe on individual rights to freedom of expression, as opposed to the individual.
Original post by WBZ144

Flag burning us illegal in America? And yet it's still legal to own guns? That's ridiculous.
It is not against the law in America. Protected by freedom of speech, either something else went on or the cops were being Idiots
Original post by AperfectBalance
It is not against the law in America. Protected by freedom of speech, either something else went on or the cops were being Idiots

It's possible that it's against the state law was of Illinois, but one would think that the First Amendment trumps any state laws.
I just looked it up and that poster is right. The Supreme Court said it was unconstitutional for the government to prohibit somebody from free speech.
For a country so into free speech, arresting him was the height of hypocrisy.
since I found out that it's actually not a crime in the United States to burn a flag because of the First Amendment. The guy filmed it and put it online maybe he got arrested for inciting a riot or disorderly conduct. There must have been something on the recording that was illegal.
Original post by WBZ144
It's possible that it's against the state law was of Illinois, but one would think that the First Amendment trumps any state laws.

In 1989 rhe U.S. Supreme Court ruled flag burning to be protected freedom of speech. They reaffirmed it in 1990. Federal law does trump state laws.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
For a country so into free speech, arresting him was the height of hypocrisy.

Burning a flag, unless he was alone, could be called a protest or a demonstration. You need a permit to demonstrate in public. Maybe he didn't have one. I do know flags are burned all the time and no one gets arrested.
Original post by oldercon1953
Burning a flag, unless he was alone, could be called a protest or a demonstration. You need a permit to demonstrate in public. Maybe he didn't have one. I do know flags are burned all the time and no one gets arrested.

That's definitely a possibility. Here is the link:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bryton-mellott-flag-burning_us_577be671e4b0a629c1aadb96
Original post by WBZ144

I just read the article about this incident. The reason given by the police for the arrest was that the flag burning produced such a negative response from his neighbors and others that they were concerned for the mans safety. Sounds great but I have a more probable explanation for his arrest. The guy pissed off the cops.
Knowing how the average American cop feels about flag burners this guys safety was not first on their list. This isn't to say that they wanted him seriously hurt but when this guy said something smart ass just one too many times they arrested him on a bogus charge of flag desecration. Chances are good they had no intention of arresting him but when he couldn't keep mouth shut..........
Original post by oldercon1953
I just read the article about this incident. The reason given by the police for the arrest was that the flag burning produced such a negative response from his neighbors and others that they were concerned for the mans safety. Sounds great but I have a more probable explanation for his arrest. The guy pissed off the cops.
Knowing how the average American cop feels about flag burners this guys safety was not first on their list. This isn't to say that they wanted him seriously hurt but when this guy said something smart ass just one too many times they arrested him on a bogus charge of flag desecration. Chances are good they had no intention of arresting him but when he couldn't keep mouth shut..........

The article doesn't suggest this. It looks like a considered decision the day after the flag burning took place. As such, I think this is going to run, and the lawsuit for the unconstitutional arrest is probably being written as we comment.

I don't think there will be a lot of taxpayer sympathy here, where there would have been if the police had acted on the spur of the moment.
Original post by nulli tertius
The article doesn't suggest this. It looks like a considered decision the day after the flag burning took place. As such, I think this is going to run, and the lawsuit for the unconstitutional arrest is probably being written as we comment.

I don't think there will be a lot of taxpayer sympathy here, where there would have been if the police had acted on the spur of the moment.

The cops probably would not have responded had it not been for the many demands that they do. Flag burning occurs on a daily basis; no big deal It certainly doesn't warrant a visit by the police. When they arrived they found a smart ass twerp and figured a couple days in jail was just the thing he needed.
The police dept saying he was arrested for his own protection was to cover their butt in case of a false arrest suit.
They really like doing these, " couple of days in jail will be good for him," arrests on a Friday because you can't see a judge till Monday to be released.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending