The Student Room Group

Andrea Leadsom quits Prime Minister race

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Personally I would still favour having it even under those circumstances. I think not having it dooms us to decade after decade of stupid, reactionary politics like the current ones. We would have a better chance of modernising the country properly under PR. It's not a message that's likely to get far though, as there are too many vested interests conspiring to keep things the way they are, or have been up to now. The full collapse of Labour down to a rump might start to bring them on board genuinely at last, as opposed to the pathetic back tracking they did on the issue under Blair and Brown.

I also think that a full Labour collapse is going to open the door to more Green MPs by the way.

Well then.... UKIP is a relevant political force :qed:
Yup. I could vote Green then (well I already do but that is because my vote means nothing in tory central). Although I feel I would vote for a Corbyn Labour as protest vote if he is still there in the next election :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Personally I would still favour having it even under those circumstances. I think not having it dooms us to decade after decade of stupid, reactionary politics like the current ones. We would have a better chance of modernising the country properly under PR. It's not a message that's likely to get far though, as there are too many vested interests conspiring to keep things the way they are, or have been up to now. The full collapse of Labour down to a rump might start to bring them on board genuinely at last, as opposed to the pathetic back tracking they did on the issue under Blair and Brown.

I also think that a full Labour collapse is going to open the door to more Green MPs by the way.

A labour collapse opens the door to more MP's for everyone.

What is possibly interesting about a split is how many go and who keeps the name.

Where do those MP's go?

The lions share of them are blairites which are soft tories. None of them will go there.

Will they go to the lib dems or create a new party? That's the interesting part

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Well then.... UKIP is a relevant political force :qed:

Lol, they are relevant if you are reaching for simplistic solutions and a party of weird old Tory has-beens and amateur-hour racists.
Her comments were below the belt
Original post by paul514
A labour collapse opens the door to more MP's for everyone.

What is possibly interesting about a split is how many go and who keeps the name.

Where do those MP's go?

The lions share of them are blairites which are soft tories. None of them will go there.

Will they go to the lib dems or create a new party? That's the interesting part

Posted from TSR Mobile

True and the LDP will try hard to get some of their MPs back in those circumstances, particularly in the SW. I think the Tories will lose some back to them in the next election as well, particularly if the EU experiment has proven to be the disaster it will be - suddenly parties that favour re-entry will start to look good again.
Favoured the leave campaign for a shakeup in status quo..

Didn't know the shakeup would lead us to this.. I'm leaving the country with May in power.
Lol, they are relevant if you are reaching for simplistic solutions and a party of weird old Tory has-beens and amateur-hour racists.

They will be in Parliment voting on things... all 50+ of them.
Original post by the bear
it is the Remain Bug... if you have supported Remain recently on here you are marked with an Asterisk.... *

....Well this is awkard because I didn't vote remain.*:banana:
Personally I would still favour having it even under those circumstances.

For once I agree with you :yep:. I don't think protecting us from extreme fringe groups is enough of a reason to essentially unfairly lock us into a two party system.
My biggest issue with this is her comment that she won't be calling an early general election, leaving the UK with four years of someone that only 165 people (those being Conservative MPs) actually voted in as Prime Minister. However I stand on her policies, I fundamentally disagree with someone being in power who has not had the opportunity to be democratically voted in by all those eligible to vote in the UK.

Saying that, she's played a fantastic campaign strategy. To take a quote I saw on Twitter the other day:
"I do like Theresa May's campaign strategy of doing nothing while all of her opponents set themselves on fire sequentially."
So when will she officially be made prime minister and will there be a general election? To be honest, I don't like her.
Reply 91
Great the pound has gown up!
Original post by Platopus
So when will she officially be made prime minister and will there be a general election? To be honest, I don't like her.

She officially becomes Prime Minister on Wednesday evening, Cameron has just announced. She's said that she won't call a general election before it's next set date, though whether she'll stick to that remains to be seen. I'm really hoping that she will call one.
Original post by clonedmemories
She officially becomes Prime Minister on Wednesday evening, Cameron has just announced. She's said that she won't call a general election before it's next set date, though whether she'll stick to that remains to be seen. I'm really hoping that she will call one.

Hmmmm. I don't like her. But then, honestly I don't think I like any of the opposition leaders either. I guess I'd vote labour.
Hmmmm. I don't like her. But then, honestly I don't think I like any of the opposition leaders either. I guess I'd vote labour.

The labour that won't exist as it is today?

Good call you don't know the MP's, policies, leader or chances of election but you are probably going to vote for them lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can accept a decision (however grudgingly) so long as it's one that's been made through informed democracy. Someone elected by 165 votes to run the entirety of the UK is ridiculous, whether you agree with her policies or not. I'm not sure who I'd vote for if another election were called, particularly since the UK system doesn't allow you to choose the Prime Minister, only a local MP. I've been voting for more fringe/independent candidates recently.
Reply 96
So instead of some god bothering quack we have an equally vile woman whose singular mission seems to be to remove our rights, yippeeee.
Original post by thunder_chunky
....Well this is awkard because I didn't vote remain.*:banana:

they get it right only 48% of the time *

PRSOM
Original post by clonedmemories
My biggest issue with this is her comment that she won't be calling an early general election, leaving the UK with four years of someone that only 165 people (those being Conservative MPs) actually voted in as Prime Minister. However I stand on her policies, I fundamentally disagree with someone being in power who has not had the opportunity to be democratically voted in by all those eligible to vote in the UK.

Saying that, she's played a fantastic campaign strategy. To take a quote I saw on Twitter the other day:
"I do like Theresa May's campaign strategy of doing nothing while all of her opponents set themselves on fire sequentially."

It's another thing that's supposed to be part of our nice old traditional unwritten 'constitution' - we vote for MPs at the election and they (or really the Queen) then appoint a Prime Minister who 'commands' a majority in the House.

In reality of course the PM has evolved under Thatcher, Blair and others into a sort of half-baked Presidential system, so people now fixate more on the character of the PM than they used to and the PMs encourage that. The result is that the 'constitutional arrangements' are therefore out of synch with the reality on the ground. Given that this was all encouraged by Prime Ministers themselves, it's a bit rich to see them hiding behind the constitutional due processes now when it suits them.

The truth as you say is that none of us elected Theresa May and she should stand in a general election. The convenience of the Tory Party is not our national concern, nor should it determine when elections are held.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending