The Student Room Group

anatomy and physiology class

I don't know if anyone here can help me, but basically one of my core classes is anatomy and physiology and I'm finding it so difficult. I live in the US and am a nursing student but I've failed a&p twice now and not really optimistic that I'll be able to pass it when I do it for the third time.

Does anyone have any tips for how to learn it? In particular which muscle is which just seems incredibly confusing - they're all so close together, especially in for example the thigh, yet they all have different names and I don't know how best to learn everything? There's so much memorization and I currently suffer from a mental illness that really affects my concentration and memory, which makes everything even worse.

Desperate for help if anyone can give it!
Try YouTube videos or literally reading one thing over and over again and testing yourself on it. Hmm.. How about mind maps, group studying, drawing colourful pictures with labels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
There are some really useful videos on YouTube etc. I have used Khan Academy videos in the past when I did my Biology degree and they were really helpful to me. They are also free most importantly!

There is also a book called The Anatomy Colouring Book by Lawrence Elson & Wynn Kapit which I know some people find helpful. It's set up sort of like a "colour by numbers" to get you to identify structures and it is very detailed.

You could also try using a website called GoConqr where you can make your own study aids including flashcards and quizzes. You can download the app onto your phone/tablet and use the flashcards on the go or look at study notes.

Most importantly, if you haven't already, I would recommend you speak to someone at university (guidance counsellor maybe) about the fact that you're struggling, especially if your mental health is affecting your studies.

I hope some of this is helpful, good luck :smile:
I have been using kenhub.com and I find that really good for anatomy. They have a 5 day free trial to their premium site so would be worth having a go at that and seeing if you would find it a good method for your learning style. The quizzes are excellent and really helped me build my knowledge.
Original post by USRaphael
I don't know if anyone here can help me, but basically one of my core classes is anatomy and physiology and I'm finding it so difficult. I live in the US and am a nursing student but I've failed a&p twice now and not really optimistic that I'll be able to pass it when I do it for the third time.

Does anyone have any tips for how to learn it? In particular which muscle is which just seems incredibly confusing - they're all so close together, especially in for example the thigh, yet they all have different names and I don't know how best to learn everything? There's so much memorization and I currently suffer from a mental illness that really affects my concentration and memory, which makes everything even worse.

Desperate for help if anyone can give it!

I have a concentration level of about zero and can sympathise with the dullness of looking through textbooks. I found that I needed to do something active and involved in order to actually absorb some of the information. I personally watched a lot of Youtube videos, there are some great ones out there as have been mentioned above.*

I also played some silly games which helped a surprising amount. I've linked a couple below, but there are a lot available online. I liked them because they were a bit more interactive, but really it just comes down to whatever suits your learning style.

http://www.anatomyarcade.com/games/PAM/PAM.html*
http://www.free-anatomy-quiz.com/index.html*
Regarding your mental illness, I really would recommend speaking to your university about it. I'm not sure what sort of system you have in place in the US, but it may be possible to make some exam adjustments, or give you some tips regarding software etc. that could help you through your disability service or similar. *
Original post by Charlotte49
I have a concentration level of about zero and can sympathise with the dullness of looking through textbooks. I found that I needed to do something active and involved in order to actually absorb some of the information. I personally watched a lot of Youtube videos, there are some great ones out there as have been mentioned above.*

I also played some silly games which helped a surprising amount. I've linked a couple below, but there are a lot available online. I liked them because they were a bit more interactive, but really it just comes down to whatever suits your learning style.

http://www.anatomyarcade.com/games/PAM/PAM.html*
http://www.free-anatomy-quiz.com/index.html*
Regarding your mental illness, I really would recommend speaking to your university about it. I'm not sure what sort of system you have in place in the US, but it may be possible to make some exam adjustments, or give you some tips regarding software etc. that could help you through your disability service or similar. *

Hahahahahahahaha! Just played poke-a-muscle! Brilliant. Thanks!
Original post by thefarmerswife
Hahahahahahahaha! Just played poke-a-muscle! Brilliant. Thanks!

That's my favourite*:h:

It's strangely addictive (there's also a skeleton version), sorry in advance...*
Original post by Charlotte49
That's my favourite*:h:

It's strangely addictive (there's also a skeleton version), sorry in advance...*

Oh, can't wait to poke a skeleton...off to find it...
Reply 8
Hey! Try this page, it really helped me -
https://practiceanatomy.com/

Give it a try, I hope it will help!
Good luck with exams and anatomy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending