The Student Room Group

What kind of companies would sponsor my degree?

Im thinking of studying philosophy at uni and then Doing the GDL and LPC then train as a solicitor.
I know that there are many law firms who would fund my GDL and LPC, but would any law firm or any company at all fund my philosophy degree as i cant seem to find any company that will.
Original post by paula2578
Im thinking of studying philosophy at uni and then Doing the GDL and LPC then train as a solicitor.
I know that there are many law firms who would fund my GDL and LPC, but would any law firm or any company at all fund my philosophy degree as i cant seem to find any company that will.

I've never heard of a company doing that and my first thought is why would they?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
I've never heard of a company doing that and my first thought is why would they?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know many law firms fund the GDL and the LPC as well as provide maintenance costs for students doing those two courses but i was wondering if they would fund my BA in philosophy because I've seen engineering companies fund engineering degrees and businesses companies fund business degrees - sometimes students have to work for free for them over the summer

So i was wondering if there is any company out there to fund a philosophy degree.
I know many law firms fund the GDL and the LPC as well as provide maintenance costs for students doing those two courses but i was wondering if they would fund my BA in philosophy because I've seen engineering companies fund engineering degrees and businesses companies fund business degrees - sometimes students have to work for free for them over the summer

So i was wondering if there is any company out there to fund a philosophy degree.

That is the question to which I replied.

Why should they?
The only time companies sponsor degrees is when you have been working somehwre for a while and even then it has to have some practical application.

ps they will only fund your GDL if you are good enough.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Why should they?
The only time companies sponsor degrees is when you have been working somehwre for a while and even then it has to have some practical application.

ps they will only fund your GDL if you are good enough.

Yeah i know they will only fund me if im good enough
But theres no harm in asking, i got a friend who applied to some engineering firm like 6 months before she was gonna start uni and they accepted her application as long as she was willing to work part time free for them during the summer holidays and after graduation shes gonna get a 2 year job/contract with them.
But theres no harm in asking, i got a friend who applied to some engineering firm like 6 months before she was gonna start uni and they accepted her application as long as she was willing to work part time free for them during the summer holidays and after graduation shes gonna get a 2 year job/contract with them.

But that is because she is studying something which will give her skills the firm can use, presumably in an engineering degree. If you are studying philosophy, you would have to find a firm which could use your philosophy skills, and they are quite rare.

If you intend to go to a law firm, then asking them to sponsor you before they have recruited you seems a little silly and a waste of time. They have a set recruitment procedure, which for non law grads is in your third year. If they take you on, then they will already be sponsoring you for £c £35,000. A few firms might offer a small prize if you get a first, but thats it.

If you are an outsanding student then contact the uni you are going to and see what bursaries or scholariships they have on offer.
Reply 8
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
But that is because she is studying something which will give her skills the firm can use, presumably in an engineering degree. If you are studying philosophy, you would have to find a firm which could use your philosophy skills, and they are quite rare.

Thats exactly what im asking.....if anyone knows any firms that would sponsor my philosophy degree
Thats exactly what im asking.....if anyone knows any firms that would sponsor my philosophy degree

And the point is that despite the transferable skills a philosophy degree will give you, there are no companies who make their living 'doing philosophy'. Firms will sponsor degrees (if they do at all, which is not especially common) which are relevant to their line of business; degrees from which they can derive immediate benefit because the subject being studied is relevant to their core industry. Engineering students have a basic understanding of the job an engineering company does and will be of some use in an internship while they are studying. Philosophy is not that kind of degree.
Is there an emoji for banging my head against a wall???

Youve already said you were going to apply to law firms and I gave you a perfectly good answer as to how they work. It wouldnt work for you. I pointed you in the right direction.

Philosophy isn't the most practical degree, but you seem to think there are employers wnating to sponsor philosopers? Why?
Reply 12
Original post by 999tigger
Youve already said you were going to apply to law firms and I gave you a perfectly good answer as to how they work. It wouldnt work for you. I pointed you in the right direction.

Philosophy isn't the most practical degree, but you seem to think there are employers wnating to sponsor philosopers? Why?

No harm in asking.....jeez
Law is different from engineering..... You'd think £35-40k worth of sponsorship would be enough...
Original post by ageshallnot
Is there an emoji for banging my head against a wall???

Yes, there is. :banghead:

It's very rare for the actual tuition fees to be paid for by the employer. From those on scholarships at my university, from what I recall students received a bursary to help with living costs whilst studying and paid summer placements.

Given how student finance works, it's probably an awful lot more useful for many to receive a bursary, summer work etc. than have their tuition fees paid for.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Yes, there is. :banghead:

Thank you!!! :banghead:

That feels so much better!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending