The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just got home from NCS Week 1 (in which we camped)! How did people find cooking in week 2?
I did NCS during Summer 2014, and I wouldn't recommend it at all, and most people in my group felt the same. Maybe it was just our particular wave/group, but the whole leadership and admin was incredibly disorganised and unproductive. Here are a few reasons why

We camped for both the first and second weeks, every single night, even though we were told we could expect at most just one night camping over the entire fortnight. We didn't stay in university accommodation in the second week
The place we camped in during the second week seemed incredinly unsafe - it was near a prison so some people were scared, and one day some lads who lived nearby threw stones at our tents. Very luckily we weren't in them at the time

We didn't do any useful activities in the second week. In our group, the second week was virtually a repeat of the first - we did go-karting, abseiling etc, but no skills training. We were told beforehand that we could pick skills for the second week, which we could develop at a university, but this never happened - we did no skills development at all, and did not go to a university. This week just seemed a waste

I live in Bradford, but for some reason was put in a group based on the opposite side of Leeds (where the other members of my group lived). This meant that during our Social Action project I had to take two trains and a bus to get to the locations we were based at (the Morrisons we bag-packed at, the location of our Social Action Project, the location of our sponsored walk etc), and it took the same to egt back. This meant four train and two bus journeys a day, which could take up to four hours. I bought a joined bus and train pass to cover the costs, and I was told that we could claim transport costs back at the end, but only after I had bought the passes I was told that we could only claim £10 a week, however I had spent £21.50 a week just on transport
We were told the graduation would be customised and could personalise it to our group, however this wasn't the case. Instead ours was just a large one with about 200 people from across Leeds there, and was just a short presentation and a buffet. We were all a bit miffed

I contacted them afterwards with these details, expressing that my group as a whole was disappointed with the experience, but received no reply to this. I got on really well with my group and enjoyed meeting new people and developing friendships, however the actual NCS experience and organisation was awful. I had been very excited for it, and know people who had incredible NCS experiences, and just wish mine had been the same. To make matters even worse, our Social Action Project wasn't any kind of charity or project that benefitted the local community, but instead a private gym that two girls in my group had kickboxing lessons at, which we fundraised for and repainted. It seemed fishy to me, but our leader didn't really investigate it and let it go ahead. It just seemed a bit sad to me that we helped a private company rather than anything charitable/community-based :frown:

If you want any further information then I am happy to expand. I am sure you will all have brilliant NCS experiences and will thoroughly enjoy it, but personally I was incredibly disappointed.

Original post by izzychen
Anyone doing NCS 7 Aug to 26 Aug in London this year?

I'm in London and I leave on the 7th, but mine doesnt end until the 28th??? so i dont know if its the same one
Original post by Phil_Blaze
Start:27 July

I have that date too! Do you have your info evening on the 20th?
Original post by Nominomnoms

Me too (same date and location and info evening)
can someone tell me how their experience on the coach was when they went on thier own
Original post by Nominomnoms

I have my info evening on the 19th
Original post by basicallykaya
I'm in London and I leave on the 7th, but mine doesnt end until the 28th??? so i dont know if its the same one

Mine starts on the 7th but ends on the 26th
My part 1 meeting point is West Thames college, is yours the same?
Original post by emmald583
Just got home from NCS Week 1 (in which we camped)! How did people find cooking in week 2?

Me too and I didn't enjoy myself until the last 2 days. The campsite that I stayed in had dirty showers and there was mud everywhere and it just wasn't the thing for me.:frown: Although we had a lot of fun:smile: How was your campsite? Apparently in some cities, people sleep in dorms for the first week which is unfair!
Does anyone have the same information evening as me?
Date: 27/07/16
Time: 18:30
Place: University of West london
(Brentford campus)
Original post by starstudent7
Me too and I didn't enjoy myself until the last 2 days. The campsite that I stayed in had dirty showers and there was mud everywhere and it just wasn't the thing for me. Although we had a lot of fun How was your campsite? Apparently in some cities, people sleep in dorms for the first week which is unfair!

Yep, some of my friends were in dorms! Not fair at all!

Campsite wasn't great, 2 toilets 2 sinks for all of the girls and it rained loads because we were up north. Food was terrible! I'm enjoying week 2 more though - we did Come Dine With Me which was interesting 😂
Original post by leafcannon
Mine's 31 July - 23 Aug.

mines the 31st - 23rd as well :smile:
I just completed the whole thing!

Any questions just quote this!
Yep, some of my friends were in dorms! Not fair at all!

Campsite wasn't great, 2 toilets 2 sinks for all of the girls and it rained loads because we were up north. Food was terrible! I'm enjoying week 2 more though - we did Come Dine With Me which was interesting 😂

How did Come Dine With Me work?

We were supposed to do it but never got around to it.
Original post by 2016_GCSE
How did Come Dine With Me work?

We were supposed to do it but never got around to it.

Every flat had to cook a meal for the PL, APL and residential mentor. The idea was to try and use up as many of your opened foods as possible as it was the last night. Marks were awarded on food (taste, presentation and variety/originality) as well as cleanliness of the kitchen and overall ambience. Each flat had a set time that the staff would arrive and try all the food.

A bit of a pain to speed cook macaroni cheese but we did come 3rd with only 3 people cooking in our kitchen! Did you enjoy your program? What skill did you do? I've just finished week 2 :smile:
Every flat had to cook a meal for the PL, APL and residential mentor. The idea was to try and use up as many of your opened foods as possible as it was the last night. Marks were awarded on food (taste, presentation and variety/originality) as well as cleanliness of the kitchen and overall ambience. Each flat had a set time that the staff would arrive and try all the food.

A bit of a pain to speed cook macaroni cheese but we did come 3rd with only 3 people cooking in our kitchen! Did you enjoy your program? What skill did you do? I've just finished week 2 :smile:

It was a lot of fun.

Here is a summary thread of what I got up to on NCS:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4217042

My skill was Enterprise.
I didn't apply before when I had the chance to with my friends, because I didn't think the programme was that great, and am now regretting it. :colonhash:

I've applied for the same date as my friends, but with it being next week and me being placed on the waiting list, I think it's very unlikely that I do get a place. I'm really conflicted now as to whether I should not do it all, or just f*** it and try to get on any date (I mean the whole point is to make new friends, right?)

Anyone else in the same situation as me, or are going on a programme without anyone from their school? :tongue:
Original post by cherryblossoming
I didn't apply before when I had the chance to with my friends, because I didn't think the programme was that great, and am now regretting it. :colonhash:

I've applied for the same date as my friends, but with it being next week and me being placed on the waiting list, I think it's very unlikely that I do get a place. I'm really conflicted now as to whether I should not do it all, or just f*** it and try to get on any date (I mean the whole point is to make new friends, right?)

Anyone else in the same situation as me, or are going on a programme without anyone from their school? :tongue:

Im doing it by myself. I'm not that worried, I prefer being by myself and I'm sure there will be others by themselves too. Yeah I didn't do it last year and regret it, so I decided I was definitely doing this year. I start on the 1st August but haven't seen anyone on here with the same start date. So have you been put in the waiting list for every programme and hoping you get a place?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone going to the info evening today??
Anyone going to NCS from 31st July to 23rdAug? Im a lonley mothafcker and in desperate need of friends lmao 😭😭😭

Latest

Trending

Trending