The Student Room Group

Should I do 5 AS Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yaystrawberries
I've just done my GCSEs and am predicted to get A*s in all of them. The four A Levels I've decided on are Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Further Maths. The fifth would either be French or Biology, and I'd drop it after doing the AS Level. My teachers have told me repeatedly that I should consider taking 5 A Levels because they think I can handle the workload - for Maths/FM I've already tried a few of the C1, C2 and FP1 papers and done pretty well in them.
I want to study Chemical Engineering at university.
I know this isn't the only thread asking about taking 5 A Levels! But I want to ask anyone on the new specification for the sciences, what the workload is like and if it's doable. What are the advantages of doing 5 (apart from bragging rights)? Even though I found some of the units easy, have I totally underestimated how hard Maths A Level is?

No
Original post by Ayman!
Exactly what I was wondering. Stanford and Princeton are basically the hardest Ivy leagues to get into, so it surprises me that he could get into both and not Oxford.

Oxford's official acceptance rate is 18% which is just a little higher than most liberal arts colleges

remember that isn't even the offer rate. that's calculated by applicants per place. So the offer rate is higher
Original post by Student403
UMS makes no difference to Oxford as they do not ask to see this

it was stressed by teachers in her references
they don't ask to see it but if its good (like 100) then I don't see why you can't mention it
Original post by nobodycarescarla
it was stressed by teachers in her references
they don't ask to see it but if its good (like 100) then I don't see why you can't mention it

Yes there's no harm for the others. But Oxford will receive many such applicants.
No point
I did 4 AS and 3 A Levels and if all goes well I'll be going to a good uni :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest