The Student Room Group

Law as an A Level Subject

Hi guys . I just started studying A levels and have the goal of furthering my studies to the United Kingdom to do Law . Not to sound optimistic or anything but one of my goals is to get into acclaimed universities such as Oxbridge , Kings , LSE , UCL and Edinburgh . I'm perfectly aware of the prestige of this Universities so I'm willing to put all my effort into getting a good A level result . But I've happened to come across many threads online and people telling me that taking Law as an A-Level subject could be a disadvantage as Universities would 'prefer' if you don't take it . My A-Level subjects are Law , History , Economics and English Literature . My college doesn't offer much subjects that comes to my interest other than law , the other 3 are perfect subjects for me . But will I be at a disadvantage if I have Law as an A-Level subject when applying to those acclaimed Universities as I've mentioned earlier ?
Original post by Nikhil Nair
Hi guys . I just started studying A levels and have the goal of furthering my studies to the United Kingdom to do Law . Not to sound optimistic or anything but one of my goals is to get into acclaimed universities such as Oxbridge , Kings , LSE , UCL and Edinburgh . I'm perfectly aware of the prestige of this Universities so I'm willing to put all my effort into getting a good A level result . But I've happened to come across many threads online and people telling me that taking Law as an A-Level subject could be a disadvantage as Universities would 'prefer' if you don't take it . My A-Level subjects are Law , History , Economics and English Literature . My college doesn't offer much subjects that comes to my interest other than law , the other 3 are perfect subjects for me . But will I be at a disadvantage if I have Law as an A-Level subject when applying to those acclaimed Universities as I've mentioned earlier ?

You won't be at a disadvantage, it just won't give you an advantage :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Gingerbread101
You won't be at a disadvantage, it just won't give you an advantage :smile:

I disagree. I'm currently reading Law at King's and am therefore well positioned to say that it does offer its own advantages. OP's subject choices are well balanced and he would easily be in contention for offers at each of the universities he aspires to attend if he gets the grades: that is to say, he's taking three subjects in addition to Law, which will allay any apprehensions held by the admissions tutors.

I took Law at A-Level and it is certainly useful if you wish to study Law at university, particularly in the following ways: introducing you to the English Legal System (and, presumably, in detail to either Criminal, Contract Law, etc.); familiarising you with the typical examination methods (e.g., essays and problem questions); developing the transferable skills gained across other A-Levels and harnessing them in relation to the study of Law; and so on.
Original post by A1112787
I disagree. I'm currently reading Law at King's and am therefore well positioned to say that it does offer its own advantages. OP's subject choices are well balanced and he would easily be in contention for offers at each of the universities he aspires to attend if he gets the grades: that is to say, he's taking three subjects in addition to Law, which will allay any apprehensions held by the admissions tutors.

I took Law at A-Level and it is certainly useful if you wish to study Law at university, particularly in the following ways: introducing you to the English Legal System (and, presumably, in detail to either Criminal, Contract Law, etc.); familiarising you with the typical examination methods (e.g., essays and problem questions); developing the transferable skills gained across other A-Levels and harnessing them in relation to the study of Law; and so on.

It may be useful in providing a background knowledge while at University, but it won't give any advantage during the actual application process other than potentially an interesting topic to discuss during interview if you were asked about it.

Quick Reply

Latest