The Student Room Group

New GCSE Revision guides help

Hi there! Can anyone help me with what revision guide to choose? I'm currently in year 9, and will be doing the New GCSE. I know its still kinda early, but there are some revision guides out. Could anyone tell me which of these publishers they found more helpful previously?:smile:Oxford University Press, Collins, Hodder Education, CGP..........Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bengaltiger_
Hi there! Can anyone help me with what revision guide to choose? I'm currently in year 9, and will be doing the New GCSE. I know its still kinda early, but there are some revision guides out. Could anyone tell me which of these publishers they found more helpful previously?:smile:Oxford University Press, Collins, Hodder Education, CGP..........Thanks!

When I did mine the CGP ones made things really easy to understand :smile:
Original post by Gingerbread101
When I did mine the CGP ones made things really easy to understand :smile:

Thanks for your reply! :smile: Also, which ones did you use? The student books? or the revision guides? Thanks again:biggrin:
Thanks for your reply! :smile: Also, which ones did you use? The student books? or the revision guides? Thanks again:biggrin:

I used the revision guides, our school gave us copies of a different type of textbook to use in lesson but I can't remember which it was :eek2:

I would definitely recommend the CGP ones. Their new GCSE English and maths ones are good and the old ones for the other subjects are great as well. Having said that, I don't think I've ever used any other ones lol
I would also advise CGP as they already have the updates GCSE grades 9-1
https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/books_gcse_science_new.books_gcse_science_new_revision_guides?range=new
Original post by Lemur14
I would definitely recommend the CGP ones. Their new GCSE English and maths ones are good and the old ones for the other subjects are great as well. Having said that, I don't think I've ever used any other ones lol

I used the revision guides, our school gave us copies of a different type of textbook to use in lesson but I can't remember which it was :eek2:

Wow! They must be good then:biggrin: What did you guys get at GCSE? if you don't mind me asking:colondollar:
Wow! They must be good then:biggrin: What did you guys get at GCSE? if you don't mind me asking:colondollar:

So far: French (B), Citizenship (A), ECDL (A*). I'm only year 10 so I haven't done many yet. Getting 2 more results in 45 days!

I got 11A*s and 1A, I've just finished my A2s :h:
I got 11A*s and 1A, I've just finished my A2s :h:

Wow!!!!! Really!!! Could you tell me what your revision strategy was? I couldn't find too much in the revision guide section of TSR:tsr2:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lemur14
So far: French (B), Citizenship (A), ECDL (A*). I'm only year 10 so I haven't done many yet. Getting 2 more results in 45 days!

Cool!!! :P What was your revision strategy for french? I could really use some help. I couldn't find much in the revision guid section of TSR. Also what's ECDL?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow!!!!! Really!!! Could you tell me what your revision strategy was? I could really benefit from it:tsr2:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wrote a master post about it here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3904381 :h: Hope it helps!
I wrote a master post about it here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3904381 :h: Hope it helps!

Thanks a lot!!!!:smile:
Cool!!! :P What was your revision strategy for french? I could really use some help. I couldn't find much in the revision guid section of TSR. Also what's ECDL?

Posted from TSR Mobile

French was a one year course so we had constant lessons and less time to forget the vocab (plus I was a year 9 who hated revision a lot more than the average year 11) so literally all I did was write a few pages of vocab as notes and do 1 past paper. Everything else was in class. I would advise making sure you knew as much vocab as you can and practising the listening in particular regularly. French will almost certainly be your first exam (unless you take certain units of RS/citizenship, any IGCSEs, or the timetable changes significantly for your year) so you need to be careful not to burn out too quickly from too much revision for the earlier subjects and not enough for the latter ones.
Original post by Lemur14
French was a one year course so we had constant lessons and less time to forget the vocab (plus I was a year 9 who hated revision a lot more than the average year 11) so literally all I did was write a few pages of vocab as notes and do 1 past paper. Everything else was in class. I would advise making sure you knew as much vocab as you can and practising the listening in particular regularly. French will almost certainly be your first exam (unless you take certain units of RS/citizenship, any IGCSEs, or the timetable changes significantly for your year) so you need to be careful not to burn out too quickly from too much revision for the earlier subjects and not enough for the latter ones.

Thanks for the tip! I'm only in year 9 right now, but I was told that its best to start revising the topics we have just learnt, as it is aa part of our GCSE:h:
Original post by happyvirus_xo
I would also advise CGP as they already have the updates GCSE grades 9-1
https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/books_gcse_science_new.books_gcse_science_new_revision_guides?range=new

Aha! Thanks for that! Which would you recommend? the student boos or the revision guide?
Thanks for the tip! I'm only in year 9 right now, but I was told that its best to start revising the topics we have just learnt, as it is aa part of our GCSE:h:

np :smile: It probably is best to start revising now, but I still haven't started a year later lol
Original post by Lemur14
np :smile: It probably is best to start revising now, but I still haven't started a year later lol

Haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest