The Student Room Group

Graduate accommodation at Oxford? (Christ Church, Merton, New)

Hi everyone! :smile: Sorry if this is on the wrong forum - this is my first ever post on TSR after many years of finding it very useful from the wings...

I'm hoping to apply for an MSt in Music at Oxford - and in my search for a college I *think* I've narrowed it down to Merton, New and Christ Church. However, there's only a limited amount of info that can be gleaned from the college websites about the accommodation for grad students is actually like. I'm not overly fussed about ensuite (although it's a nice option to have!) but it is important to me to have a nice, quietish room with some natural light. Has anybody got any real-life experience of what it's like at any of these places? Any thoughts, good or bad, will be helpful!

Thanks so much!
I lived in Merton graduate accommodation for 3 years.

The provision in excellent - pretty much everyone can get 3 years living in, which is a stark contrast to the colleges that can't even guarantee 1 year (and there are a few).

The accommodation is based in the Holywell quad opposite New, and on Manor Place by St Catz.
The Holywell site stuff is all en-suite, excellent size, and with decent windows so I'd tick natural light. There are plenty of kitchens around, though fridge space can be a bit limited. Most people can spend two years here, if they wish.
The Manor road site is a bunch of postwar houses, so shared bathroom (two bathrooms 1 shower) amongst 4-5. On the plus side there tends to be more kitchen space and the community feel is significantly greater, so sometimes people forego the ensuite option to live with friends. Its also right next to where Merton keeps its kayaks, which was a big plus for me! :wink:

Trying to find some photos... this is the outside of Holywell

You can view Manor place on Google street view.

Finding legit photos of the insides of rooms is proving challenging I'm afraid. Nothing to offer.

I don't know anything at all about Christchurch or New graduate-side.
Original post by ek95jcc
Hi everyone! :smile: Sorry if this is on the wrong forum - this is my first ever post on TSR after many years of finding it very useful from the wings...

I'm hoping to apply for an MSt in Music at Oxford - and in my search for a college I *think* I've narrowed it down to Merton, New and Christ Church. However, there's only a limited amount of info that can be gleaned from the college websites about the accommodation for grad students is actually like. I'm not overly fussed about ensuite (although it's a nice option to have!) but it is important to me to have a nice, quietish room with some natural light. Has anybody got any real-life experience of what it's like at any of these places? Any thoughts, good or bad, will be helpful!

Thanks so much!

I was an undergrad at ChCh so can't offer too much insight for grad life... but...

From from I know, graduates are typically housed at least in their first years, either in St. Aldates Quad which is just across the road from college or I believe college also have a few houses a bit further out also. I don't think graduates typically get ensuites, but there are plenty kitchens. I lived in St Aldates as an undergrad over a summer once and in my final year as an undergrad. It's typically quite quiet but it depends if you are road facing or not (St Aldates is quite a major road through the city centre). There's also the children from the Cathedral School who can be quite noisy at play time etc. but I generally didn't find it too distracting. I don't have pictures right now but I can try and find some... When I graduated (2015) there was talk that graduates might be getting displaced by undergrads because of renovations on the main college site, thus reducing college room capacity. I'm not sure if this is finished or what the solution was though, so you might want to get into contact with the college regarding that one.

I have heard that the GCR at ChCh is really nice, both the physical rooms and the group entity. At formal meal sittings grads often have a table reserved for them so that they can sit together and they organise their own events, though also turn up to the JCR ones too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending