The Student Room Group

How to prepare for Theoretical Physics MSci over a gap year?

So I will be starting a degree in Physics/Theoretical Physics in 2017, for the time being I am on a gap year. What's the best way to mentally prepare for a theoretical physics degree? I am not just talking about being familiar with the topics discussed, but also improving my problem solving skills as much as I can.
I will be doing the STEP papers, which are quite challenging from what I have heard. I will also work through all the mathematics/physics Olympiad papers. I will go through all the Maths modules I did not do in my A-Levels. I am also learning Python.
Any tips? Any challenging books to read that could improve my problem solving skills?
Feynman's lectures are great if you want to see physics beyond the equations.

Original post by oShahpo
Any challenging books to read that could improve my problem solving skills?

Try 200 puzzling problems in physics. It is an excellent book to improve problem solving skills.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4IIN-Yl_suNRHNpOVByeVRCTHM/edit?pref=2&pli=1

Irodov's problems in general physics is also great.

If you really want to challenge yourself, try Spivak's calculus. It is not an easy book aimed at serious aspiring mathematicians.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by tangotangopapa2
Feynman's lectures are great if you want to see physics beyond the equations.

Try 200 puzzling problems in physics. It is an excellent book to improve problem solving skills.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4IIN-Yl_suNRHNpOVByeVRCTHM/edit?pref=2&pli=1

Irodov's problems in general physics is also great.

If you really want to challenge yourself, try Spivak's calculus. It is not an easy book aimed at serious aspiring mathematicians.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Magnificent. Thanks a lot, I am very grateful.
I have gone through the first volume, it's as great as it possibly gets.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by oShahpo
Magnificent. Thanks a lot, I am very grateful.
I have gone through the first volume, it's as great as it possibly gets.

You are very welcome.

Quick Reply

Latest