The Student Room Group

Britain close to having all major political parties led by women

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jambojim97
I know. However, the main idea you put forward was that Thatcher's poor performance resulted from her gender.

OK, Name me 1 British women PM who did a great job at fixing the country.
Original post by 2016_GCSE

Well that's kind of difficult to answer because Thatcher has been the only female prime minister. Furthermore, whether or not Thatcher "did a great job at fixing the country" is open to debate. Those right of centre would probably argue in her favour, whilst those on the left would argue against.

By basing your argument on the only female British prime minister in history, your pessimistic conclusion as to whether British women make good political leaders is methodologically flawed. Moreover, your opinion consists of a very small sampling frame (*irony*) of one individual. Thus, your findings are unrepresentative.

Finally, please learn to use correct grammar in forming your arguments. 'Women' is plural, thus denoting more than one female homo-sapien. The correct word to use would be 'woman', the singular. It's like saying, "my dogs is very friendly"; it simply doesn't make sense.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's not good or bad. It's just a thing to me. I don't care about gender as long as they can do their job properly.
Original post by jambojim97
Well that's kind of difficult to answer because Thatcher has been the only female prime minister. Furthermore, whether or not Thatcher "did a great job at fixing the country" is open to debate. Those right of centre would probably argue in her favour, whilst those on the left would argue against.

By basing your argument on the only female British prime minister in history, your pessimistic conclusion as to whether women make good political leaders is methodologically flawed. Moreover, your opinion consists of a very small sampling frame (*irony*) of one individual. Thus, your findings are unrepresentative.

Well Thatcher sure would have wasted many hours dealing with "Women Problems" where the time could have been better used towards getting deals and completing more work to a better quality. (Something every woman has to spend time with)

Thatcher also had children which yet again would reduce her time. Women are most seen to be the one to look after children than the male. (Something many women can relate to)

So one individual can show a very true representation of all women.
Original post by Chakede
Do you view this possibility as a good thing or bad thing?

I view it as a who cares thing? As in pick the person on merit not because of their sex
It's more likely that I'll the grades I want on results day than Angela Eagle becoming Labour leader

I practically failed my exams
Reply 26
Will this lead to affirmative action to ensure more men will make it to leader of the party in the future? If 100% of the leaders end up female is that not a sure sign of the matriarchy?

It's a thing neither good nor bad, if you want to talk about a specific female in the role then that may be a good or bad thing.
Gender is irrelevant. It's the person whom matters.
As long as they aren't there just because they are women, it's fine.
Well Thatcher sure would have wasted many hours dealing with "Women Problems" where the time could have been better used towards getting deals and completing more work to a better quality. (Something every woman has to spend time with)

Thatcher also had children which yet again would reduce her time. Women are most seen to be the one to look after children than the male. (Something many women can relate to)

So one individual can show a very true representation of all women.

Regarding our current situation, Theresa May does not have any children, and is unable to do so. That, alongside the fact that many other women do not have children, invalidates your claim that childcare is "something every woman has to spend time with."

Your argument is based on assumptions about what a female prime minister may or may not have to deal with. You cannot objectively verify that a female prime minister's performance would be negatively effected by her children. She may organise private childcare.

Furthermore, can you give me objective proof that Thatcher's (arguably) poor performance was a direct result of her maternal status? Can you provide me any objective source of a female political figure finding motherhood a hindrance to her duties? The only one I can think of is Louise Mensch, who resigned to put her family first. There was another such case of a MALE Canadian politician resigning for similar reasons.

Finally, the domestic division of labour is becoming more and more equally balanced. Men are now engaging in more domestic tasks such as housework and childcare.

You have a very general and subjective view of 'women's issues'.
Original post by EdwardBarfield9
Gender is irrelevant. It's the person whom matters.

And the people are absolutely awful.

I like Sturgeon, but Theresa May is like a 3rd world dictator that wandered into the UK and is still getting used to what she is and isn't allowed to do.

Probably easier to name all the men that effed it up.
Original post by Chakede
only dup and lib dems not,

Tell me what do you know about Arlene Foster that the rest of us don't?

Original post by Serine Soul
It's more likely that I'll the grades I want on results day than Angela Eagle becoming Labour leader

I practically failed my exams

Whatever happens Corbyn will stay as labour leader for along time yet. Certainly the next 2 general elections. :smile:
Original post by MildredMalone
Labour will be soon, and everyone forgot Libs exist.

Labour has no hope of getting a female leader for years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Labour has no hope of getting a female leader for years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If there's not gonna be a "snap general", and the next General Election really will be in2020, then it's fine to keep Jezza. But he needs to be replaced by 2018 or so, so that the Labour will be ready and a votable contender.
Original post by MildredMalone
If there's not gonna be a "snap general", and the next General Election really will be in2020, then it's fine to keep Jezza. But he needs to be replaced by 2018 or so, so that the Labour will be ready and a votable contender.

But that relies on there being an opportunity to get rid of his ideology, he is unlikely to resign, especially if his chosen successor won't be able to make it onto the ballot paper, and are there really the females within the party that would step up to the plate that have any hope in an election?
So what? Didn't hear anyone complaining when it was all male in charge :unimpressed:
Labour are rubbish wannabe dictators
Reply 39
Original post by niv1234
It's not good or bad. It's just a thing to me. I don't care about gender as long as they can do their job properly.
As Ruth Davidson cleverly and politely pointed out to the BBC interviewer earlier today "WTF difference does the X/Y chromosome mix make if the people do their jobs properly"

I may have paraphrased a little as my memory of her actual words are a little bit hazy.

She's right though

Quick Reply