The Student Room Group

The Prime Minister is running scared of a general election - PETITION!

Who said the above about Gordon Brown when he refused to call a GE after becoming Prime Minster?

Answer: Theresa May, 2007

At the same time she also “Yesterday in Prime Minister's questions his excuse for not calling an election was that only 26 people had signed a Downing street petition calling for one. I checked the website this morning and there are now 4,408 signatures and rising. Can the Leader of the House arrange for the Prime Minister to give us an update on the petition every week in Prime Minister's questions?” she added.

Well guess what... there's a new petition saying "A change in prime minister should trigger a general election."

You can sign it here: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/137376

So far it has over 23,000 signatures.
i.e. significantly higher than the petition she was waving at Gordon Brown.

100,000 could lead to a rather awkward debate for Mrs May...
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
vote corbyn!!!
Original post by jneill
X

Completely agree and signed but it's only a matter of time until it's rudely dismissed...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by welshiee
vote corbyn!!!

You need to call for a GE first...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Plagioclase
Completely agree and signed but it's only a matter of time until it's rudely dismissed...

And even gaining a debate would be delicious given how she taunted Brown with a similar petition.
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
you need to call for a ge first...

no i dont need to do anything i will just vote corbyn whenever i want cause im the man!!
Reply 6
Calling a GE would give the Conservatives a greater majority and even greater legitimacy. I would be for it but we have just had a referendum and need to set about making ground in terms of economic growth and political stability.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
And even gaining a debate would be delicious given how she taunted Brown with a similar petition.

The problem is that most politicians are finely trained in the art of spinning and subtly changing the topic so I am sure she would do some very effective damage control in the unlikely case a debate were even called (and she attended).

no i dont need to do anything i will just vote corbyn whenever i want cause im the man!!

A lot of people at least try to give the impression that they're mature and know what they're talking about but you, you're a free spirit, you don't feel obliged to follow these peer pressures. I respect that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Was the 7000th signature :smile:
Original post by Pulse.
Calling a GE would give the Conservatives a greater majority and even greater legitimacy.

That's something I fear. But I'm still clinging on to any hope that Brexit can be prevented and I'm not convinced that there's a huge amount that we could lose by running a GE.
Original post by Plagioclase

A lot of people at least try to give the impression that they're mature and know what they're talking about but you're a free spirit, you don't feel obliged to follow these peer pressures. I respect that.

Im nuts thats why :smile: i love you man x
Im nuts

:yep:
Original post by jneill
Who said the above about Gordon Brown when he refused to call a GE after becoming Prime Minster?

Answer: Theresa May, 2007

At the same time she also “Yesterday in Prime Minister's questions his excuse for not calling an election was that only 26 people had signed a Downing street petition calling for one. I checked the website this morning and there are now 4,408 signatures and rising. Can the Leader of the House arrange for the Prime Minister to give us an update on the petition every week in Prime Minister's questions?” she added.

Well guess what... there's a new petition saying "A change in prime minister should trigger a general election."

You can sign it here: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/137376

So far it has over 7,000 signatures.
i.e. significantly higher than the petition she was waving at Gordon Brown.

I would generally be in favour of a GE, as would May be because it's largely accepted that Labour will suffer a huge blow.

However, there is a huge amount of uncertainty which has had negative effects. I think the politicians just need to focus on getting a deal to provide the 'glorious' future ahead. I honestly think if we do it right, we could become 'a Norway' in terms of happiness, freedom, employment etc.
Reply 13
Original post by jamestg
I would generally be in favour of a GE, as would May be because it's largely accepted that Labour will suffer a huge blow.

However, there is a huge amount of uncertainty which has had negative effects. I think the politicians just need to focus on getting a deal to provide the 'glorious' future ahead. I honestly think if we do it right, we could become 'a Norway' in terms of happiness, freedom, employment etc.

I think it might trigger an SDP-type breakaway from Labour on a Remain ticket.
Reply 14
If things stay as they are and a GE is called, the majority of the electorate will be voting for the least worst option.
Original post by jneill
I think it might trigger an SDP-type breakaway from Labour on a Remain ticket.

This has already been discussed and it was only under the condition that Leadsom won the conservative leadership and conservatives joined too. It won't happen with just labour because it's too problematic, you'd just end up with a larger conservative majority when a general election is called due to FPTP. Or there's the worst case scenario where this all happens in the near future and you end up with a conservative supermajority if May has successfully established herself.
Reply 16
Original post by Helloworld_95
This has already been discussed and it was only under the condition that Leadsom won the conservative leadership and conservatives joined too. It won't happen with just labour because it's too problematic, you'd just end up with a larger conservative majority when a general election is called due to FPTP. Or there's the worst case scenario where this all happens in the near future and you end up with a conservative supermajority if May has successfully established herself.

Unless Tory remainers could still be persuaded. And the LibDems obviously.

A very long shot, but hey...
I genuinely don't think it is a good idea for us to hold an early GE. I want Labour to win, but they are in no position to do so at the moment. If we have an early GE, the number of seats that Labour could lose to the likes of UKIP is going to be devastating for us. I think we should just wait it out until 2020, by which time the Labour party will have hopefully stabilised and gained back the trust of its heartlands (and let's be honest, 4 years under a Tory government should be enough to do so). I just don't see enough people voting for Corbyn any time soon after all the ambiguity surrounding whether or not he even voted to leave and especially after the vote of no confidence in him - nor do I believe that if we have a new Labour leader, they will be convincing enough either.
vote corbyn!!!

He'll be ousted very very soon the old backward senile bastard

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll admit that I am biased towards Labour so I'd prefer it if she didn't call an election. Labour need to get their *bad word* together.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending