The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

English law schools - where to apply?

I am prepping my application for the 3 year LLB, and am not sure what to pick between the following list: queen mary, warwick, LSE, kent, exeter, newcastle, and sussex. Any feedback on these universities? As a Canadian student, I am also looking for one with a decent international reputation...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by AJT27
I am prepping my application for the 3 year LLB, and am not sure what to pick between the following list: queen mary, warwick, LSE, kent, exeter, newcastle, and sussex. Any feedback on these universities? As a Canadian student, I am also looking for one with a decent international reputation...

If you have top grades, I would apply for:

1 LSE
2 Queen Mary
3 Warwick
4 Exeter
You can get in Kent, Newcastle and Sussex without much trouble.

LSE has a top reputation
Queen Mary, Warwick are excellent universities, but with less reputed than LSE
Kent, Newcastle are good universities but nothing exceptionnal
Sussex is an ok university to go to.

Please take note that I base my ranking on the international and local reputation as well as league tables. It doesn't mean the teaching a Sussex is bad at all, for example. Also look at electives and try to make a choice depending on that too. All LLBs are not the same. Some electives may be offered somewhere but not at another university.
(edited 7 years ago)
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by rbgpwer
If you have top grades, I would apply for:

1 LSE
2 Queen Mary
3 Warwick
4 Exeter
You can get in Kent, Newcastle and Sussex without much trouble.

LSE has a top reputation
Queen Mary, Warwick are excellent universities, but with less reputed than LSE
Kent, Newcastle are good university but nothing exceptionnal
Sussex is an ok university to go to.

Please take note that I base my ranking on the international and local reputation as well as league table. It doesn't mean the teaching a Sussex is bad at all, for example. Also look at electives and try to make a choice depending on that too. All LLBs are not the same. Some electives may be offered somewhere but not at another university.

Thank you for the feedback! My list has somewhat changed, and now includes Cambridge. I know I am definitely applying to Cambridge, LSE, and Exeter. I have been hearing very mixed reviews of Queen Mary and Warwick... that the area around Queen Mary is not great and the program is not very strong. I also keep hearing that the Warwick law faculty is just feeding off the popularity of the business faculty and is not as independently strong. So I guess my question is: which is the lesser of two evils?
Reply 3
Original post by AJT27
Thank you for the feedback! My list has somewhat changed, and now includes Cambridge. I know I am definitely applying to Cambridge, LSE, and Exeter. I have been hearing very mixed reviews of Queen Mary and Warwick... that the area around Queen Mary is not great and the program is not very strong. I also keep hearing that the Warwick law faculty is just feeding off the popularity of the business faculty and is not as independently strong. So I guess my question is: which is the lesser of two evils?

Queen Mary is VERY strong for law, one of the top in this country and the area is not as bad as people say, mile end is very quiet and a few tube stops from central London. Queen Mary has also other campuses around London where you can hang out

Warwick is strong yes, especially for business, but Queen Mary is better for legal studies.

Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending