The Student Room Group

Failed my repeat year so need some advice asap please

I have been kicked out of uni because I failed my repeat year as well. I am thinking about applying to another uni with another course but I am kinda lost about how to actually apply to one. Do I just apply through ucas clearing or do I have to apply as a mature student since I am already over 21? Is there anyone who had a similar experience or knows someone who went through this. I would really appreciate it if I could get some advice.
Original post by ineedhelp_mgr
I have been kicked out of uni because I failed my repeat year as well. I am thinking about applying to another uni with another course but I am kinda lost about how to actually apply to one. Do I just apply through ucas clearing or do I have to apply as a mature student since I am already over 21? Is there anyone who had a similar experience or knows someone who went through this. I would really appreciate it if I could get some advice.

You apply through UCAS as usual.

You have to declare your previous university study in the education section and you'll need an academic reference (preferably from your university).

If you received student finance for your repeat year then unfortunately that means you're extra year of funding is used up. You will have to fund your tuition fees for the first year of your new course yourself (unless you can prove compelling personal reasons to SFE for the repeat year). If your repeat year was a non-attending repeat year (so you got no loans for tuition fees or living costs) then this might not count as your extra year.

Do you really think uni is for you at the moment. I would not be leaping into another year of studying tbh

I failed my first year and got kicked out - didn't like the course. I was not ready for it - immature. *I went off and did a couple of years work and then I did an evening degree at Birkbeck. Although it wasn't ideal in terms of the student experience, I had a bit more money and I was committed to studying.
Reply 3
Original post by squeakysquirrel

I failed my first year and got kicked out - didn't like the course. I was not ready for it - immature. *I went off and did a couple of years work and then I did an evening degree at Birkbeck. Although it wasn't ideal in terms of the student experience, I had a bit more money and I was committed to studying.

Bit out of topic but didn't you get resits/a year repeat if you failed a year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BWV1007
Bit out of topic but didn't you get resits/a year repeat if you failed a year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I could have done - but my heart was not in the degree - if you are failing a year twice - gotta think that maybe uni is not for you
Reply 5
I am in the same situation, what actually happened was last year when I did my resits exam during the summer I have managed to pass some modules except these two modules where I was offered by the univeristy to do a retake, which I did as at that time I was soo down and confused of what to do next as I wanted to stay in the course. Now, after getting my results yesterday I unfortunately failed the two modules again and has been "required to withdraw" at the moment I am really upset of this result and I dont know what to do anymore. I have been up all night thinking about my future and any other options I can do to be able to continue my studies. I really dont want to leave univeristy and I will do anything to be able to progress and possibly do another resit this August? I am very lost since have already spent two years at uni and if I happen to change course, I know I will financially strugle since I only have two years left from student finace and even if I have to work part time job I dont think I will be able to pay for my tuition fee. My parents does not know of what is going about my situation at the moment as I am very scared to tell them and I dont to disappoint them. I really dont know what to do anymore, someone please help me😔
Reply 6

Hey there, out of interest which subject were you studying and at which university? Both of those factors will make a difference depending on what you want to do next. Are you thinking of switching courses?

If you failed your repeat year, it is true that you won't have student finance for that year and thus you will need to self-fund.
Why did you fail each time? There's no point starting another course unless you've worked out why you've struggled so far, then you can deal with that and ensure it doesn't happen again.

Working or doing an apprenticeship would appear to be better suggestions, given the limited information you've told us so far. Good luck.
Original post by PQ
You apply through UCAS as usual.

You have to declare your previous university study in the education section and you'll need an academic reference (preferably from your university).

If you received student finance for your repeat year then unfortunately that means you're extra year of funding is used up. You will have to fund your tuition fees for the first year of your new course yourself (unless you can prove compelling personal reasons to SFE for the repeat year). If your repeat year was a non-attending repeat year (so you got no loans for tuition fees or living costs) then this might not count as your extra year.

Okay thanks a lot. I have already used up two years of funding plus one for the extra year so three years in total. So there's no chance of me getting any funding. I guess I just have to rely on my parents to pay the fees.
Original post by Kikikoko
I am in the same situation, what actually happened was last year when I did my resits exam during the summer I have managed to pass some modules except these two modules where I was offered by the univeristy to do a retake, which I did as at that time I was soo down and confused of what to do next as I wanted to stay in the course. Now, after getting my results yesterday I unfortunately failed the two modules again and has been "required to withdraw" at the moment I am really upset of this result and I dont know what to do anymore. I have been up all night thinking about my future and any other options I can do to be able to continue my studies. I really dont want to leave univeristy and I will do anything to be able to progress and possibly do another resit this August? I am very lost since have already spent two years at uni and if I happen to change course, I know I will financially strugle since I only have two years left from student finace and even if I have to work part time job I dont think I will be able to pay for my tuition fee. My parents does not know of what is going about my situation at the moment as I am very scared to tell them and I dont to disappoint them. I really dont know what to do anymore, someone please help me😔

I really understand what you are going through. It took me two weeks to tell my parents that I had failed and was being kicked out of uni. And then there was a lot of crying from both me and my mum. I was planning to give up on uni life but my parents want me to give it one more try and they are even willing to pay the tuition fees for me. Hopefully everything works out for you as well. Be strong ^_^
Original post by MaddieBee
Hey there, out of interest which subject were you studying and at which university? Both of those factors will make a difference depending on what you want to do next. Are you thinking of switching courses?

If you failed your repeat year, it is true that you won't have student finance for that year and thus you will need to self-fund.

Thanks for replying. I was doing a biomedical science degree and am planning to change it to a microbiology degree. I have emailed a uni asking them if I would be able to apply to them considering the fact that I have failed my second year. I am still waiting for them to reply. I probably will have to give them a ring as it is much quicker than waiting for the reply.
Original post by Duncan2012
Why did you fail each time? There's no point starting another course unless you've worked out why you've struggled so far, then you can deal with that and ensure it doesn't happen again.

Working or doing an apprenticeship would appear to be better suggestions, given the limited information you've told us so far. Good luck.

Being depressed which meant I had no motivation to go to lectures and do my assignments on time (sometimes even if I had already done an assignment I would just not hand it in time because I didn't want to get out of bed) and not asking for any help which I clearly needed.
I want to be a microbiologist and now that I actually have a goal I think I should be able to pass. Before I had no idea what I was gonna do after I graduate and was always questioning if there was even any point of getting that degree which made me even more depressed. So, hopefully I will be able to go to uni this sep/oct and manage to pass. Anyway thanks a lot.
Being depressed which meant I had no motivation to go to lectures and do my assignments on time (sometimes even if I had already done an assignment I would just not hand it in time because I didn't want to get out of bed) and not asking for any help which I clearly needed.

Unless you get your depression sorted out before your next course (assuming you get on one) then I think that you would merely be wasting your parents' money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending