The Student Room Group

Typical day is what?

I'm curious to know how your college days are structured and as I have missed the induction days, I was wondering how long lessons are and how may lessons you have in a week, free lessons and all that.

Original post by brainzistheword
I'm curious to know how your college days are structured and as I have missed the induction days, I was wondering how long lessons are and how may lessons you have in a week, free lessons and all that.

That varies so much on which college you are at. Most will have 6 lessons slots with a couple of those hours free a day
I go to a sixth form college and it seems very different from others because there's only 2 lessons a day
9:30am - 12pm is lesson one
12pm - 1:15pm is lunch
1:15pm - 3:45pm lesson two

Even though each lessons are long we get a 15 minute break half way through lesson. And depending on how many subjects you do you get around 1 or 2 free periods a week as well as tutorial.

If it helps, I've attached my AS and A2 timetables. Timetables will obviously vary between colleges, but I had roughly 16 lessons and 8 free periods per week at AS, and 12 lessons and 13 free periods per week at A2. Lessons were also generally 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes :smile:
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
I go to a sixth form college and it seems very different from others because there's only 2 lessons a day
9:30am - 12pm is lesson one
12pm - 1:15pm is lunch
1:15pm - 3:45pm lesson two

Even though each lessons are long we get a 15 minute break half way through lesson. And depending on how many subjects you do you get around 1 or 2 free periods a week as well as tutorial.

Wow that is different, but seems like a good idea - thanks for responding :smile:
Original post by LPauling
That varies so much on which college you are at. Most will have 6 lessons slots with a couple of those hours free a day

Ah I see - thank you :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
If it helps, I've attached my AS and A2 timetables. Timetables will obviously vary between colleges, but I had roughly 16 lessons and 8 free periods per week at AS, and 12 lessons and 13 free periods per week at A2. Lessons were also generally 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes :smile:

Thank you for sharing your timetable - it was a great help. I see you do Geology. What is it like and could you tell me what sort of topics you cover, as I am considering it next year. Thanks :biggrin:
I have two lessons a day. The first is from 09:15 - 12:30. The second is from 13:00 - ??? (Normally 4, but varies). Mondays I only go in for the second lesson. Also no form group.
At my sixth form (I've just finished A2) we had 5 hours a week for each of our subjects - so 15 hours a week of lessons. 2 of the lessons were a double (8:40-10:25 e.g) and one was a single (12:25-1:20 e.g). As mine was a Roman Catholic college we had to do 1 single lesson of RE a week, for me it was on Tuesday at 2:15-3:05 and after RE we would have tutorial 3:0-4.

I also had learning support 4 times a week so that took up 4 hours as well..

I'll try and find my timetable and put it in..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I have two lessons a day. The first is from 09:15 - 12:30. The second is from 13:00 - ??? (Normally 4, but varies). Mondays I only go in for the second lesson. Also no form group.

Ah ok, was this a college or sixth form?

Original post by CaitlinN15
At my sixth form (I've just finished A2) we had 5 hours a week for each of our subjects - so 15 hours a week of lessons. 2 of the lessons were a double (8:40-10:25 e.g) and one was a single (12:25-1:20 e.g). As mine was a Roman Catholic college we had to do 1 single lesson of RE a week, for me it was on Tuesday at 2:15-3:05 and after RE we would have tutorial 3:0-4.

I also had learning support 4 times a week so that took up 4 hours as well..

I'll try and find my timetable and put it in..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for this :smile:

College
Original post by Abstract_Prism
College

Ok thanks for responding :smile:

Thanks for this :smile:

1468315940716.jpg

This was my A2 timetable this year, the red lines is where I had learning support... I did 2 A2 subjects (where it says year 2 on the subject) and 1 AS (year 1 health and social care).. but this is what my timetable was like...

Yeah...Mondays were hell ://

*lessons started at 8:40,9:35,10:45,11:35,12:25,1:20,2:15,3:05 can't really see it on the image sorry aha*

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Ok thanks for responding :smile:

(That is, a sixth form college, not a vocational college)
Thank you for sharing your timetable - it was a great help. I see you do Geology. What is it like and could you tell me what sort of topics you cover, as I am considering it next year. Thanks :biggrin:

You're welcome! :h:

I did Geology with OCR, I think WJEC offers Geology too but I don't know about their course! OCR Geology has 6 modules in total, with 3 at AS and the other 3 at A2. The AS modules are Global Tectonics, Rocks, Processes and Products and Practical Skills. The A2 modules are Environmental Geology, Evolution of Life, Earth and Climate, and Practical Skills.

The Global Tectonics module covers Earth structure, earthquakes, continental drift, sea floor spreading, plate tectonics and geological structures as its major topics.

The Rocks, Processes and Products module covers the rock cycle, igneous rocks and processes, sedimentary rocks and processes, and metamorphic rocks and processes.

The Practical Skills units both cover lab skills, interpreting photographs, geological mapping, drawing and interpreting graphic logs, and interpreting fossil data.

The Environmental Geology module covers water supply, energy resources (coal oil and gas), metallic mineral deposits and engineering geology.

The Evolution of Life, Earth and Climate covers the formation of fossils, fossils and their adaptations (including trilobites, corals, brachiopods, bivavles, echinoids, graptolites and ammonites), evolution of amphibians and dinosaurs, mass extinctions, dating methods and climate change.

I found Geology to be the easiest of my A Levels, I liked it because it's a very logical subject! It was also the most interesting in my opinion, and I'm actually going to be doing a Geoscience degree this year!

I hope that helps :smile:
You're welcome! :h:

I did Geology with OCR, I think WJEC offers Geology too but I don't know about their course! OCR Geology has 6 modules in total, with 3 at AS and the other 3 at A2. The AS modules are Global Tectonics, Rocks, Processes and Products and Practical Skills. The A2 modules are Environmental Geology, Evolution of Life, Earth and Climate, and Practical Skills.

The Global Tectonics module covers Earth structure, earthquakes, continental drift, sea floor spreading, plate tectonics and geological structures as its major topics.

The Rocks, Processes and Products module covers the rock cycle, igneous rocks and processes, sedimentary rocks and processes, and metamorphic rocks and processes.

The Practical Skills units both cover lab skills, interpreting photographs, geological mapping, drawing and interpreting graphic logs, and interpreting fossil data.

The Environmental Geology module covers water supply, energy resources (coal oil and gas), metallic mineral deposits and engineering geology.

The Evolution of Life, Earth and Climate covers the formation of fossils, fossils and their adaptations (including trilobites, corals, brachiopods, bivavles, echinoids, graptolites and ammonites), evolution of amphibians and dinosaurs, mass extinctions, dating methods and climate change.

I found Geology to be the easiest of my A Levels, I liked it because it's a very logical subject! It was also the most interesting in my opinion, and I'm actually going to be doing a Geoscience degree this year!

I hope that helps :smile:

Woweeee thank you so much this is sooooo helpful!! I don't suppose you have any resources you could share or useful websites you used. And good luck with your geoscience degree!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Woweeee thank you so much this is sooooo helpful!! I don't suppose you have any resources you could share or useful websites you used. And good luck with your geoscience degree!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem! For OCR Geology there is a really good textbook called OCR Geology AS/A2 which covers everything on the specification in lots of detail. I also made detailed notes from it, which I can post here if you like? My AS notes aren't great but my A2 notes are much better. Thank you!! :smile:
No problem! For OCR Geology there is a really good textbook called OCR Geology AS/A2 which covers everything on the specification in lots of detail. I also made detailed notes from it, which I can post here if you like? My AS notes aren't great but my A2 notes are much better. Thank you!! :smile:

I will see if I can find a cheap books to look through, though if you are willing to post your notes then I would really appreciate it :smile: thank you if you do :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will see if I can find a cheap books to look through, though if you are willing to post your notes then I would really appreciate it :smile: thank you if you do :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay! Yep, you can find my A2 notes here :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest