The Student Room Group

Writing your very own novel or short story

I'm curious as to whether any body has begun writing their own novel in the hope that they will be the next J.K. Rowling :wink:

The reason I'm asking because around 6 months ago I decided that I was going to put my love for writing towards a goal and that was to write my own book. The ideas have been formed, the characters decided and the title unfinished (literally the hardest thing ever to come up with.)

Now is the initial hard part, actually writing the thing! One of the main problems I'm having is restarting a chapter if I'm not happy with it :colondollar: So I keep getting setback.

So has anyone else had a go at writing a story in some capacity? What have your struggles been? What have you enjoyed the most?
I'm writing a book, but it isn't a novel. It's a true story. The research takes up the majority of the time and fibding time while I'm at uni.
Reply 2
Original post by Seamus123
I'm writing a book, but it isn't a novel. It's a true story. The research takes up the majority of the time and fibding time while I'm at uni.

That is one of my main problems. I do a history degree and so I'm doing a hell of a lot of reading, so when it comes round to reading for inspiration for my own novel then I lack the motivation :frown:

Researching is a very long process indeed. Is the true story about your own life or something else, if you don't mind me asking?
It's about my own life in care, how I came to be there, my experiences in care, and the names of some of those who perpetrated the abuse of myself and those who shared my experiences.
The book is the reason why I have returned to education at 68, but because of some of the content in the book, I am only able to do short blocks of research/writing at any one time.
Original post by PugDevil
I'm curious as to whether any body has begun writing their own novel in the hope that they will be the next J.K. Rowling :wink:

The reason I'm asking because around 6 months ago I decided that I was going to put my love for writing towards a goal and that was to write my own book. The ideas have been formed, the characters decided and the title unfinished (literally the hardest thing ever to come up with.)

Now is the initial hard part, actually writing the thing! One of the main problems I'm having is restarting a chapter if I'm not happy with it :colondollar: So I keep getting setback.

So has anyone else had a go at writing a story in some capacity? What have your struggles been? What have you enjoyed the most?

I've been writing my own novel for the past few months. Up to 30,000 words. It's probably not very good, but it's always been my dream to become a published author so I'm determined to finish it!

What genre is yours?
What sort of novel are you planning?
Reply 6
It's about my own life in care, how I came to be there, my experiences in care, and the names of some of those who perpetrated the abuse of myself and those who shared my experiences.
The book is the reason why I have returned to education at 68, but because of some of the content in the book, I am only able to do short blocks of research/writing at any one time.

Sorry to hear about that. But that's more than a good enough reason to return to education. I hope that you get around to finishing it because it is something that should be heard.

Original post by Professor Oak
I've been writing my own novel for the past few months. Up to 30,000 words. It's probably not very good, but it's always been my dream to become a published author so I'm determined to finish it!

What genre is yours?

What sort of novel are you planning?

Well I reached like 27,000 and then rage quit the book because I am a bit of a perfectionist and I wasn't happy with the quality of my writing :redface: But now I'm just writing, even if its garbage, because I feel you just have to break through that wall! Plus, that is what editing is for!

Well its going to be a fantasy novel based quite far into the future where humanity has basically been pushed to the brink of extinction and an alien force is ruling over Earth, but everything is being controlled by three mysterious figures :colone: Sounds a bit cliche I know, but I'm determined to make mine stand out :biggrin:

Its ironic though because I never really used to read a lot of books, but I've watched so many films and so when I'm writing I always try to imagine it in my head like a film? Not sure if that's a bit strange!
(edited 7 years ago)
Well I reached like 27,000 and then rage quit the book because I am a bit of a perfectionist and I wasn't happy with the quality of my writing :redface: But now I'm just writing, even if its garbage, because I feel you just have to break through that wall! Plus, that is what editing is for!

Well its going to be a fantasy novel based quite far into the future where humanity has basically been pushed to the brink of extinction and an alien force is ruling over Earth, but everything is being controlled by three mysterious figures :colone: Sounds a bit cliche I know, but I'm determined to make mine stand out :biggrin:

Its ironic though because I never really used to read a lot of books, but I've watched so many films and so when I'm writing I always try to imagine it in my head like a film? Not sure if that's a bit strange!

That sounds awesome. I'd be up for doing a swap if you ever want opinions on it and are happy to give some on mine too!
Reply 8
That sounds awesome. I'd be up for doing a swap if you ever want opinions on it and are happy to give some on mine too!

Thank you, that would definitely be good! What is yours about? :biggrin:

I'm only on 3000 words at the moment mind you :redface: I'm trying to write around 500 words a night as I don't have much time during the day unfortunately :frown:
Thank you, that would definitely be good! What is yours about? :biggrin:

I'm only on 3000 words at the moment mind you :redface: I'm trying to write around 500 words a night as I don't have much time during the day unfortunately :frown:

Mine is like a space version of the 19th century American gold rush. It takes place in the near future, when AI has taken most people's jobs. The government suddenly has millions of people dependent on the state, so they start encouraging people to leave earth in search of riches (which may or may not exist). Thousands of poorly prepared, amateur crews take off in search of glory.

The story follows one particular crew on board a ship called Kestrel. I'm hoping to develop it into a series.
Reply 10
Oh wow! Congratulations :biggrin: What was it about?

Would you consider writing a novel? :wink:
That's amazing, congratulations! I've heard writing short stories is the best way to develop a strong writing style :biggrin:
Reply 12
Mine is like a space version of the 19th century American gold rush. It takes place in the near future, when AI has taken most people's jobs. The government suddenly has millions of people dependent on the state, so they start encouraging people to leave earth in search of riches (which may or may not exist). Thousands of poorly prepared, amateur crews take off in search of glory.

The story follows one particular crew on board a ship called Kestrel. I'm hoping to develop it into a series.

That sounds extremely interesting!! :biggrin: Wish there were more books out there like that, honestly would read that!

Likewise with the series, I'm hoping to have a trilogy out of this story. I know the basics of what would happen in the second and third book. I'm itching to start my second book but then I tell myself I have to finish the first book to begin with :lol:
Reply 13
Well both of them sound really interesting, so congrats! I recently did a creative writing module for an elective at University and we had to write short stories and I know exactly what you mean. Keeping things interesting in a novel is quite hard work, but its a good challenge!

Well as you've seen from us, writing a novel can take absolutely ages :redface: But it's kind of like your very own baby, a project that you have to manage yourself, something to be proud of :biggrin: That's why I like it anyway!
Hello! Stumbled here 5 years later!

Well both of them sound really interesting, so congrats! I recently did a creative writing module for an elective at University and we had to write short stories and I know exactly what you mean. Keeping things interesting in a novel is quite hard work, but its a good challenge!

Well as you've seen from us, writing a novel can take absolutely ages :redface: But it's kind of like your very own baby, a project that you have to manage yourself, something to be proud of :biggrin: That's why I like it anyway!

I agree! It's like having something that you pour effort into, and it's simply satisfying to see how the pages progressed, how our ideas form words, sentences, then stories onto the page. Most of all, until you share it with someone, this world in your imagination is yours and yours alone. No one will have the same idea, the same characters, the same setting, etc with your story!

I think there's a brilliant quote from the Book Thief:
"...there would be punishment and pain, and there would be happiness, too. That was writing.”

Ive started writing a book. Ive been on about doing it for years but never got round to it.
I decided to do 3 books in the series. A bit like lord of the rings, harry potter and other series where theres more than one book.
Ive written and typed up a rough draft of the first book. Just need to sort it all out, improve it etc. Ive started on the second. But i keep meaning to carry on with but never get round to it.
Don't worry about it. Whatever happens, like if it's going to be published or not, it's good practice. I've written some rough drafts throughout some years, and mostly I don't get round to them anymore. But every time it improves, and each is better than the last, and I think that in itself is a great thing, regardless of what becomes of the draft, even if no one else but yourself read it.

Quick Reply

Latest