The Student Room Group

Urgent help needed

university of manchester wants to withdraw me from my programme for failing some of my modules but this only happened because during exam periods I was absolutely sick and greatly affected my abilities.the university in question is uni of manchester. can anyone help me out?do you reckon they would let me take resits if I explain this to them?has anyone ever had any similar problems?also is there any chance they would at least let me either start a new programme or maybe retake the year? please help me i am absolutely desperate, almost suicidal.thank you
Did your school/college know about your condition during the exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
no they did not
Reply 3
is there anything I can possibly do?
Original post by vladsandu
is there anything I can possibly do?[/QUOte
You really should have told your college. Anyway whats done is done.
Did you see a doctor at the time?

In this situation i would do whatever possible to get my place at a uni and not worry about whether its the right thing to do or not. Calling the university yourself is your best option. Talk to the university admission department. Explain to them your situation. You can email them but dont expect a reply soon. Dont wait for too long.
Reply 5
I don't think you understand.I am a student already and have failed uni exams, that's why they want me to be withdraw
I don't think you understand.I am a student already and have failed uni exams, that's why they want me to be withdraw

Unlikely that they will view any claim to having been ill at the time as anything other than an excuse made up after the fact, since you didn't say anything then, but start with seeing your personal tutor and talking to your Students' Union.
Reply 7
so is there any chance I will continue as a student there?

None of us can possibly tell you that. You need to talk to the university itself, and quickly.
Reply 9
thank you. they gave me time till 5th of august to sort it out so hopefully everything goes well

You seem to be light on detail. Read what the withdrawal letter says or better still take it to an advisor at the SU or as suggested talk to your personal tutor. We cant see the letter, so its hard to form an opinion of what you have failed, how poorly etc and just what the Uni is saying.

In circumstances where you fail modules, then there is a procedure in place which should give you the option to resit or in certain circumstances retake the year.
You say you were ill. It doesnt really help that you are making them aware after the event and that if it was so serious it looks suspicious as to why you didnt tell them at the time.

Work out whats possible with your tutor or the department. Get the assistance of an SU advisor, who can help you prepare your appeal. You can try to talk to either of them today.
http://manchesterstudentsunion.com/top-navigation/advice-service/contact-an-advisor
Ask your department how to appeal, if they say they are going to withdraw you.

You will need to fill out a form or make a statement that you were ill (researched and linked below), but you really need corroborating evidence, such as your Dr or therapist which shows you were being treated at the time for a medical condition. After the event is much harder to prove. Its still possible they could let you resit or retake the year of you make them aware of credible reasons about your performance.

Mitigating Circumstances.

http://www.studentsupport.manchester.ac.uk/academic/mitigating-circumstances/

This leaflet has lots of useful information.

http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=23886

The form
http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/DocuInfo.aspx?DocID=23160

Its likely an appeal at this stage is weak and they will onlu consider a complaint if there are credible and compelling reasons. Embarrassment or concerns over confidentiality are not good reasons. Not informing them at the time, will make your case weak.

Academic appeal

The full policy is here
http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=1872

Again it requires credible and compelling reasons. Pointless me explaining the procedure as its all very readable and in the document as well as the leaflet.

due to the above.
The leaflet is here. You have 20 days from getting your result.

http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=23874

The appeal form
http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=1878

Just to stress the leafltes contain most of what you need to know and are very readable. Its up to you to help yourself. You will need to decide or check if its an academic appeal form or an MC form you need to submit. I think its an academic appeal form due to MC, but your department will tell you.

Contact the SU and your tutor without delay. You have nothing to lose. Its not unusual to be allowed resits or if you performed really poortly them a retake, but thats down to your indibidual circs and them reviewing your case. Dont give up.
university of manchester wants to withdraw me from my programme for failing some of my modules but this only happened because during exam periods I was absolutely sick and greatly affected my abilities.the university in question is uni of manchester. can anyone help me out?do you reckon they would let me take resits if I explain this to them?has anyone ever had any similar problems?also is there any chance they would at least let me either start a new programme or maybe retake the year? please help me i am absolutely desperate, almost suicidal.thank you

I greatly doubt it.
You should have told them and it confuses me as to why you didn't?
If you were that ill I assume you were taking time off of university in time to get back to full health? I assume you went to the doctors and want not? If so, your university should have been notified. If you try and explain this to them now, there is a great chance they aren't going to believe you because you've left it so late. They'll need doctors notes or some proof of your illness during this time. Universities do everything differently but you should be allowed to resit anyway - it depends how many you've failed.

In my opinion, it isn't looking likely but, it's worth a shot explaining it to them.

I'm sorry. Best of luck :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
I greatly doubt it.
You should have told them and it confuses me as to why you didn't?
If you were that ill I assume you were taking time off of university in time to get back to full health? I assume you went to the doctors and want not? If so, your university should have been notified. If you try and explain this to them now, there is a great chance they aren't going to believe you because you've left it so late. They'll need doctors notes or some proof of your illness during this time. Universities do everything differently but you should be allowed to resit anyway - it depends how many you've failed.

In my opinion, it isn't looking likely but, it's worth a shot explaining it to them.

I'm sorry. Best of luck :smile:

So what you are saying is there is no chance I will be a student there in September?
So what you are saying is there is no chance I will be a student there in September?

I'm not saying there is 'no chance', I'm saying it's highly unlikely with a slim chance. If you can prove you were ill during this time and that it affected your studies, the university should give you time and give you resits (they will question why you didn't tell them in the first place) and equally, if you can't prove that you were ill and that it affected your studies, they are going to question why you never told them etc.

Like I said, write a letter to the university explaining in as much detail as you possibly can everything that happened - that's your best shot. None of us can tell you whether you will or won't be but as someone has mentioned - you seem short on details and reluctant to talk to your university though, you said you're greatly distressed about this but haven't spoke to them yet?
Reply 14
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
I'm not saying there is 'no chance', I'm saying it's highly unlikely with a slim chance. If you can prove you were ill during this time and that it affected your studies, the university should give you time and give you resits (they will question why you didn't tell them in the first place) and equally, if you can't prove that you were ill and that it affected your studies, they are going to question why you never told them etc.

Like I said, write a letter to the university explaining in as much detail as you possibly can everything that happened - that's your best shot. None of us can tell you whether you will or won't be but as someone has mentioned - you seem short on details and reluctant to talk to your university though, you said you're greatly distressed about this but haven't spoke to them yet?

do you think they would at least let me retake the year?
do you think they would at least let me retake the year?

I feel like you aren't listening to me, or what the others are saying, we CAN NOT tell you that in anyway shape or form. Again, listen to me, if you can PROVE THAT YOU WERE ILL then maybe, if not, then I don't see it happening. Do you understand? I'm trying to help you and be compassionate but I just don't feel as though you're listening.
Expecting us to answer your specific situation is ridiculous. Read your course and university handbooks/regulations. Talk to the SU. Talk to your doctor. Talk to your academic staff. You should know what you need to do. If you really want this you need to be a lot more motivated. Come on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending