The Student Room Group

UKCAT test for dentistry 2017

Hi, I would like to know which universities in the UK require UKCAT test for dentistry? I will be the 2016 applicant and there have been changes to the exam board etc. So, will this mean that universities still want the same test or different tests? I have looked on the website but the information is for the 2016 entry so I am not very sure. Thanks.
Reply 1
Also the grade requirements are still AAA but will there be a change for the 2016 applicant since we only take 3 A-levels. Thanks.
I think all except Leeds require the UKCAT from next year, Leeds ask for the BMAT instead. I applied this cycle and only Bristol and Leeds didn't want UKCAT but Bristol told us we were the last year that didn't need it. Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by fangbandit
I think all except Leeds require the UKCAT from next year, Leeds ask for the BMAT instead. I applied this cycle and only Bristol and Leeds didn't want UKCAT but Bristol told us we were the last year that didn't need it. Good luck!

Really? I didnt know that bristol doesnt require ukcat test for 2016 entry... You are lucky. Thanks.
Original post by coconut64
Really? I didnt know that bristol doesnt require ukcat test for 2016 entry... You are lucky. Thanks.

No worries, good luck!
Reply 5

Oh one last thing. You are applying for dentistry right? Dp ypu know what i should do to boost my chance of receiving an offer? And also any tips for ukcat test ? ?
Oh one last thing. You are applying for dentistry right? Dp ypu know what i should do to boost my chance of receiving an offer? And also any tips for ukcat test ? ?

Yeah I applied to Newcastle, Sheffield, Bristol and Leeds and got offers for Newcastle and Leeds. I'd say do extra-curricular stuff like sport or music and volunteering (in a care home or DofE/NCS or something like that?) if you can and get lots of varied dental work experience like GDP, hospital, ortho, lab etc. If you have a part time job talk about that and the skills it has given you. Have evidence of being "caring" and good manual dexterity evidence too ( I talked about playing the flute personally.)

UKCAT wise just lots of practice over the summer before you take it. It is the timing that I found hard so do timed practice tests if you can. UKCAT official app and online resources are the best prep but I'd buy a book to help too like the Kaplan one or another similar type of thing.
Reply 7
Yeah I applied to Newcastle, Sheffield, Bristol and Leeds and got offers for Newcastle and Leeds. I'd say do extra-curricular stuff like sport or music and volunteering (in a care home or DofE/NCS or something like that?) if you can and get lots of varied dental work experience like GDP, hospital, ortho, lab etc. If you have a part time job talk about that and the skills it has given you. Have evidence of being "caring" and good manual dexterity evidence too ( I talked about playing the flute personally.)

UKCAT wise just lots of practice over the summer before you take it. It is the timing that I found hard so do timed practice tests if you can. UKCAT official app and online resources are the best prep but I'd buy a book to help too like the Kaplan one or another similar type of thing.

Wow, thats great, congratulations on that! What would be the most important on then in your opinion? Great manual dexterity, experience or grade? Or all of them? Sorry about this, i dont really know the process thats why i keep on asking you questions. And what did u score in your ukcat test ? Thanks!
Wow, thats great, congratulations on that! What would be the most important on then in your opinion? Great manual dexterity, experience or grade? Or all of them? Sorry about this, i dont really know the process thats why i keep on asking you questions. And what did u score in your ukcat test ? Thanks!

Thank you! It depends on the dental school but they're looking for a good all-rounder I'd say, you will need a good personal statement and enough work experience to meet the requirements to get invited to interview and some dental schools use UKCAT quite heavily too (i.e. some will rank by this and use a cut off). The grades are important but not the only thing they consider. I scored 2600 (650 average) in my UKCAT, hope this helps.
Reply 9
Thank you! It depends on the dental school but they're looking for a good all-rounder I'd say, you will need a good personal statement and enough work experience to meet the requirements to get invited to interview and some dental schools use UKCAT quite heavily too (i.e. some will rank by this and use a cut off). The grades are important but not the only thing they consider. I scored 2600 (650 average) in my UKCAT, hope this helps.

Thank you.
I just looked at the tests last night!! I am dreading it!
Original post by linzirosie
I just looked at the tests last night!! I am dreading it!

Try not to stress, it just takes practice. You'll be fine if you do a bit of prep before the test. Good luck!
I think the UKCAT is one of the hardest parts of the process! I don't even think its objective!
Original post by A.Plymouth
I think the UKCAT is one of the hardest parts of the process! I don't even think its objective!

What is it with old threads being revived?

I agree though. Haven't looked at any stats to see what the UKCAT proves but for me I got a high average and it was all down to prep, not any sort of innate ability. I personally think it is a farce and just another checkbox/hurdle to add on for admission. I also dislike that it cost me nearly £70 if I remember correctly. Prospective students should not have to foot the cost.

Hi coconut64

It has been a while since you posted this but I just wondered how you are getting on with your UKCAT prep?

Have you booked your test yet?

Hopefully you've got a date that you're working towards and you have it all under control but just in case you are still wanting a bit of advice, I thought might be able to help.

You really want to be scheduling yourself a few hours a day, ideally 4+, in the weeks leading up to your UKCAT. It is important to try and schedule your prep in this way rather than try and cram before your test and leave yourself feeling stressed.

Another tip is to make sure that any books you are using are the most up to date available as there are a number on the market that are very out of date.

You might be interested in reading this blog as it is full of some great tips for getting ready for the big day.Do give me a shout if you have any questions I can help with.UniAdmissions
Anyone done ukcat? What score did you get? :smile:
Hey there,

Are there any mature students applying to do dentistry and are sitting / have sat ukcat recently?

I'm in my mid 30s, have a PhD in medical anthropology and public health. Have just signed up to sit ukcat on the 4th of Oct. Starting prep now, and hoping I'll be ready on the day!

Would be good to hear from anyone who has already sat ukcat, and who can impart some sage advice on prep strategies. My current strategy is effectively 'brute force' - do as many examples and practice tests as I can in the next 6-7 weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest