The Student Room Group

Family threatening to disown me, says I lack respect?

So I had a bit of an argument with my family just because I stood up for my own beliefs & said that I don't like their religion or culture, & I didn't want to live a life that I didn't want just so they could be happy. Then they accuse me of disrespect & threaten to disown me. I honestly feel as if they were being totally unreasonable. They shouldn't be able to have the final word on my major life decisions, if they want to disown me for following the path that I believe will make me most happy then I really don't know what else to say to them. I live in the UK not in their country, why can't they accept that. I'm not dishonoring the family at all just because I like to go out to have a laugh & mix with some white guy/girl friends. Anyone else who can relate at all? It's just so frustrating how unreasonable they are on the issue :colonhash:

Scroll to see replies

haram
Reply 2
Good on you for standing up for yourself. How old are you? Are you financially dependent on them?
Perhaps it's time to enter the real world for youself :biggrin:

What is your cultural/religious background anyway?
What religion are you?
Reply 4
Don't do anything stupid in the heat of the moment, everyone needs to calm down.
Original post by Multitalented me
So I had a bit of an argument with my family just because I stood up for my own beliefs & said that I don't like their religion or culture, & I didn't want to live a life that I didn't want just so they could be happy. Then they accuse me of disrespect & threaten to disown me. I honestly feel as if they were being totally unreasonable. They shouldn't be able to have the final word on my major life decisions, if they want to disown me for following the path that I believe will make me most happy then I really don't know what else to say to them. I live in the UK not in their country, why can't they accept that. I'm not dishonoring the family at all just because I like to go out to have a laugh & mix with some white guy/girl friends. Anyone else who can relate at all? It's just so frustrating how unreasonable they are on the issue :colonhash:

Need more details. You're not telling us everything. How does it escalate to this? What did you do?
Original post by Anonymous
Need more details. You're not telling us everything. How does it escalate to this? What did you do?
Oh they brought up the topic of marriage & then I told them, "I can marry whoever I want, or maybe I might not want to get married at all", then it all escalated onto lots of different topics like staying out late etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
you bling shame upon famiry

Very upsetting to hear all this. My advice is to buy your time.
Original post by FrogLad
Good on you for standing up for yourself. How old are you? Are you financially dependent on them?
Perhaps it's time to enter the real world for youself :biggrin:

What is your cultural/religious background anyway?

Original post by saraxh
What religion are you?

I'm 24, Muslim background. Looking to move out, I didn't earlier as I was trying to respect their wishes, & also was saving up but now I might not have a choice :s-smilie:
I'm 24, Muslim background. Looking to move out, I didn't earlier as I was trying to respect their wishes, & also was saving up but now I might not have a choice :s-smilie:

But what did you say about their beliefs that got them annoyed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I told my mum I didn't believe in God and that God isn't real and if he was people wouldn't go through such awful things, she said that "God is teaching us all a lesson" and I said "What lesson is being taught when a woman is raped and develops a sexually transmitted disease and then it get passed on in the womb to her innocent child?"

She told me to "Shut up and stop being disrespectful" even though I was being respectful and asking for reasons to understand why she believes God is real.

Why don't you want to get married?
Oh they brought up the topic of marriage & then I told them, "I can marry whoever I want, or maybe I might no want to get married at all", then it all escalated onto lots of different topics like staying out late etc.

Are they trying to get you in a arranged marriage?
Oh they brought up the topic of marriage & then I told them, "I can marry whoever I want, or maybe I might no want to get married at all", then it all escalated onto lots of different topics like staying out late etc.

I've said this too and my mum looked like she wanted to cry and asked me why I would want to shame her like that, after all that she has done for me.

-_-

You're not one of these new age "muslims" that go out to night clubs- get hammered and taken advantage of drunk girls are you?
TBF from what I can tell you're already doing haram so your parents are just doing their duty to let you know whether you want to get married. There's no need to give such an attitude either, you can either reply with a yes or no to anyone they choose. Or otherwise find someone you like and let your parents know.
Why don't you want to get married?
Well I haven't decided yet, I think it's unnecessary though, just people have been conditioned to think it's the normal thing to do.

Original post by saraxh
Are they trying to get you in a arranged marriage?
Not yet, but probably would in the future. So I'm not getting a free choice with something that's a very important thing in my life, that I'd have to live with.

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I've said this too and my mum looked like she wanted to cry and asked me why I would want to shame her like that, after all that she has done for me.

-_-
Yeah it's really frustrating isn't it! My family try & use the guilt trip tactic so often *sigh*....
You're not one of these new age "muslims" that go out to night clubs- get hammered and taken advantage of drunk girls are you?
Oh no, I don't really drink, or like clubbing. I do go out partying/to pubs/bars etc, mix with the opposite sex & drinkers though. Don't see anything wrong with it, I'm causing no harm to anyone.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes

-_-

Selfish immoral parents will be selfish.

That's what religion does to people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending