The Student Room Group

EU has already started squeezing Russel Group members out of research budgets

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josb
EU students are a financial drain, not a gain.

Have you got any evidence to support that? It seems illogical - they pay tuition fees just like British students that on average cover the vast majority of course costs, and use their own money rather than student loans to fund living costs which of course promotes growth.
Original post by Josb
British universities should ask the government to increase research council budgets..

Hahahaha, oh my sides.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Strange thing is, that reads exactly like a joke UKIP bot I saw.

Proves my point completely,I should have added the snobbery aspect.Aren't you insightful. DOES NOT COMPUTE. Kipper bot 2k16
Original post by Saoirse:3
Have you got any evidence to support that? It seems illogical - they pay tuition fees just like British students that on average cover the vast majority of course costs, and use their own money rather than student loans to fund living costs which of course promotes growth.

Now they can promote further growth by paying the same as international students. Not that I would want a large amount of people with degrees,makes them worth relatively less.
Original post by Conservationofmass
Now they can promote further growth by paying the same as international students. Not that I would want a large amount of people with degrees,makes them worth relatively less.

Well no because they just won't come here.

I think EU students have access to student loans also.

However, having less EU students will mean less money for universities as they are an extra source of income which has now been cut off. Universities want to take on as many students as possible.
It's cool, the leave campaign promised British government would match any funding we got from EU - and its not like they'd break their promises, that'd be like Farage claiming we would not actually have 350 million to spend on NHS...
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I think EU students have access to student loans also.

However, having less EU students will mean less money for universities as they are an extra source of income which has now been cut off. Universities want to take on as many students as possible.

I believe they have access to them for tuition fees, but not for maintenance payments? :smile:
Well no because they just won't come here.

Like the international students don't....win win as far as I am concerned,don't owe them anything and the labour market is saturated enough. They should have to pay more than Brits anyway considering we have one of the best higher education/unis in the world.
Original post by swanderfeild
It's cool, the leave campaign promised British government would match any funding we got from EU - and its not like they'd break their promises, that'd be like Farage claiming we would not actually have 350 million to spend on NHS...

Farage has no role in government,he can't decide spending anyway.
Like the international students don't....win win as far as I am concerned,don't owe them anything and the labour market is saturated enough. They should have to pay more than Brits anyway considering we have one of the best higher education/unis in the world.

As explained earlier in the thread, much of our higher education research funding comes via the EU. The article in the OP explains how our position as a leader of HE & research is threatened by Brexit. This is why people are worrying about whether or not the government will replace the lost funding.

International & EU students won't be coming to UK universities if they are no longer top of the class.
Farage has no role in government,he can't decide spending anyway.

If only someone had made him, and the leave campaign aware of that during campaigning as they went around making promises including how British government would continue to maintain EU level of funding, and also invest in NHS then...
Original post by swanderfeild
If only someone had made him, and the leave campaign aware of that during campaigning as they went around making promises including how British government would continue to maintain EU level of funding, and also invest in NHS then...

Nigel wasn't involved with the official leave campaign,that would be Borris and gove and the 350 million a week for the NHS was from camp Boris.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
As explained earlier in the thread, much of our higher education research funding comes via the EU. The article in the OP explains how our position as a leader of HE & research is threatened by Brexit. This is why people are worrying about whether or not the government will replace the lost funding.

International & EU students won't be coming to UK universities if they are no longer top of the class.

Betta hope the gov funds it then... though I doubt May will care about middle class,leftwing uni students. Much ad they look down on other people.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Yes, who cares about Britain's economic base now that we have the entirely false promise of reduced immigration numbers made to clueless people because they might vote UKIP?

are you guys really been real..cause I sure dont feel like been safe by brext.
Betta hope the gov funds it then... though I doubt May will care about middle class,leftwing uni students. Much ad they look down on other people.

It's nothing to do with middle class students or otherwise. We are talking about very serious multinational research projects run by very serious people doing very serious things. Some of them are world famous even.
Original post by Duncan2012
Switzerland isn't in the EU.

CERN is in Switzerland.

Can we stop with all the doom and gloom and realise that leaving the EU, in itself, will not mean the end of research for the UK. There's more to European research than just the EU. Let's wait and see what collaboration arrangements are proposed, agreed and funded going forward.

Switzerland is not in the EU but its academic research has been heavily funded by the EU, including CERN. This arrangement, alongside any access the Swiss have to the single market (which excludes the banking sector, among many other sectors) rests on the fact that they were required to accept the EU's free movement of people. Following their recent referendum which decided to limit free movement, the academic funding from the EU has been slashed immediately and dramatically, and universities are struggling to find other sources of funding. Nobody said that this is the end of research for the UK, but it is naive to dismiss the benefits of the EU for the academic sector.
where did that funding money come from?

yes - us - the UK - our £40 million per year contributions.
our government can put money into unis just like it does for everything else
and if it doesn't then that's representative democracy for you - imperfect but better than authoritarianism
are you really going to favour authoritarianism just for uni research funds?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Duncan2012
Switzerland isn't in the EU.

CERN is in Switzerland.

Can we stop with all the doom and gloom and realise that leaving the EU, in itself, will not mean the end of research for the UK. There's more to European research than just the EU. Let's wait and see what collaboration arrangements are proposed, agreed and funded going forward.

Do you have any idea why CERN is located in Switzerland?

One, because of its neutrality which guarantees that the place won't be used to make weapons. Two, because of the stable geology not f*cking up the Large Hadron Collider.

You can't even strawman properly.
Original post by BasicMistake
Do you have any idea why CERN is located in Switzerland?

One, because of its neutrality which guarantees that the place won't be used to make weapons. Two, because of the stable geology not f*cking up the Large Hadron Collider.

You can't even strawman properly.

Thank you for a lesson in the blindingly obvious. My point was that European research institutions can collaborate and function perfectly well outside the framework of the EU. I'm not talking about setting up new institutions.

Quick Reply

Latest