The Student Room Group

Is it really just me who finds most jobs boring?

I've looked into so many career paths, and they all sound incredibly boring.
Some examples:

Software engineer: The thought of spending all day looking at code bores me to tears. High stress, not all that rewarding. Being sat in front of a screen all day is not my idea of a good job.

Accounting: I hate numbers, to do it as a career sounds like hell.

Design/Mechanical engineering: Using CAD, working with gears/machinery doesnt appeal. Pay would be good but to do it long term i wouldnt enjoy at all.

Mechanic: I love working on my own car and motorcycle, its rewarding servicing it and therefore saving money. But to do it for someone else all day every day, with a manager trying to get me to rip off customers. Working in the cold during winter....what initially sounds like a fun job, then sounds like a terrible job with pretty low salary.

Is it just a case of picking your poison and running with it? Do any of you actually LOVE your job or love the career you are studying to get?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You seem to be looking at more technical jobs, maybe that's just not for you. You need to spend more time finding what you would enjoy doing. Ignore how much you could earn and stuff like that.

Being a mechanic you could create your own company if you want to. And it is not always some crap manager trying to rip someone off. You just seem a bit pessimistic about it.

I'm personally aiming for either software engineering or security. I love working on code. For me it's like a huge puzzle that I will spend most of the day working on without even noticing how long has passed. And if I'm working on something interesting and get stuck I will be thinking of things to try even as I go to bed. I find problem solving to be enjoyable and quite rewarding once you manage to figure it out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ALittleLost25
Some examples:

Software engineer: The thought of spending all day looking at code bores me to tears. High stress, not all that rewarding. Being sat in front of a screen all day is not my idea of a good job.

Design/Mechanical engineering: Using CAD, working with gears/machinery doesnt appeal. Pay would be good but to do it long term i wouldnt enjoy at all.

Mechanic: I love working on my own car and motorcycle, its rewarding servicing it and therefore saving money. But to do it for someone else all day every day, with a manager trying to get me to rip off customers. Working in the cold during winter....what initially sounds like a fun job, then sounds like a terrible job with pretty low salary.

Is it just a case of picking your poison and running with it? Do any of you actually LOVE your job or love the career you are studying to get?

jjust make a claim son
Some examples:

I LOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEE the career I'm studying to get, but depends what your passionate about. :smile:
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
I LOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEE the career I'm studying to get, but depends what your passionate about. :smile:

What career is that?
What career is that?

A air ambulance paramedic :biggrin:
It's unpredictable.
I'm the same, I don't know what I want to do and I'm looking at stuff that's related to my degree as a starting point and everything seems so boring and I probably I won't be good at it anyway!
If work were fun, you would have to pay to do it.
Original post by rainbow.panda
I'm the same, I don't know what I want to do and I'm looking at stuff that's related to my degree as a starting point and everything seems so boring and I probably I won't be good at it anyway!

What is your degree in?
Yeah, I think that for most jobs.

That's why I'm giving policing and security a go.

I really can't deal with the super academic stuff and perhaps later in life I will be able to use my academic skillset and capacity to help do the 'higher up' jobs in those careers/sectors.

Assuming I can bear them of course.
What is your degree in?

Maths, I could do a lot of things with it but nothing has struck me as particularly interesting so far.

Thats all well and good but studying a subject and working in the industry are two very different things which is what you will find-out when you leave education, its a completely different ball game.

Anyway..

I have to agree with the OP, I've said this for years, there is no realistic career path that isn't boring, end of the day you wouldn't work for free so when you say you love your job etc etc its all bollox as you do it for the money and not as a hobby 99% of jobs are boring unless you are the minority of famous people and even they get fedup and turn to drugs to escape it all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AsapRocky
Thats all well and good but studying a subject and working in the industry are two very different things which is what you will find-out when you leave education, its a completely different ball game.

Anyway..

I have to agree with the OP, I've said this for years, there is no realistic career path that isn't boring, end of the day you wouldn't work for free so when you say you love your job etc etc its all bollox as you do it for the money and not as a hobby 99% of jobs are boring unless you are the minority of famous people and even they get fedup and turn to drugs to escape it all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is what you think :smile: Firstly you can do work experience to get a snapshot of what its like as a career.
Secondly, I would work for free, volunteering etc, but i know some people are just in it for the money, but I, for example are passionate about helping and caring for people with not much regard for money,fame, etc.
I love my area of work. I fell into it by accident, and it's very barely related to my degree. Have you thought of trying things that aren't so technical/STEM related?
That is what you think :smile: Firstly you can do work experience to get a snapshot of what its like as a career.
Secondly, I would work for free, volunteering etc, but i know some people are just in it for the money, but I, for example are passionate about helping and caring for people with not much regard for money,fame, etc.

So you would do it for free then?
Original post by AsapRocky
So you would do it for free then?

Yes. :smile:
I always thought work was just something you had to do even though its boring.
Some examples:

i want to be a professor

Original post by rainbow.panda
Maths, I could do a lot of things with it but nothing has struck me as particularly interesting so far.

Fuu*kenel.
Original post by niv1234
I always thought work was just something you had to do even though its boring.

And this is what sucks about western culture

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending