The Student Room Group

Too many health problems at once

Hello :smile:

So I've just finished my first year of university doing occupational therapy.

At the start of the year I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety, first anti depressants I tried didn't work, the second ones I tried did work and really helped with my insomnia but made me gain weight so I was very self conscious, I've now started on my third type of anti depressants. Its too early to tell if they're working or not but I am getting side effects, luckily its majorly decreased my appetite and I lost all the weight in just a week.

A couple of months ago I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, right as I was starting my placement, as well as having a hard time with someone I worked with at placement, so those few weeks were pretty unbearable and absolute hell. They struggled to fix it for a while but they found medication that worked and my flare up has pretty much gone. Though the medication is 8 huge tablets a day and for the rest of my life.

During the investigations for my colitis, they also found that my thyroid was low, I just went for the repeat bloods and it came back normal, however I have to go back again in a few months to check it is still normal. I was pretty surprised that it was normal as I do have a lot of the symptoms of hypothyroidism, but at least that's one less tablet to worry about.

I would just like to add that if you, like myself, have a huge needle phobia, getting all these blood tests and other needles being put into you really does help the phobia. I never thought I'd be able to handle one blood test let alone multiple. And I did it without crying or fainting!

I have also had all sorts of treatments for intense itching, however this has still not been resolved and the doctors don't actually know what it is.

Some how I managed to pass first year, including my placement without actually taking any time off (Which I probably should have done - If you have health problems please put them first because pushing yourself over the limit really doesn't help and makes it all worse)

So I wondered if anyone had any similar experiences? Either with any of the health problems I have or health problems during a stressful time such as first year of uni, I'd like to know how others coped with it all so I can maybe find ways to make second year a little easier.
I'm happy to answer questions and help anyone as best I can if they want a little support, having people there to support you is one of the most important things I found :h:
Original post by Anonymous
Hello :smile:

So I've just finished my first year of university doing occupational therapy.

At the start of the year I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety, first anti depressants I tried didn't work, the second ones I tried did work and really helped with my insomnia but made me gain weight so I was very self conscious, I've now started on my third type of anti depressants. Its too early to tell if they're working or not but I am getting side effects, luckily its majorly decreased my appetite and I lost all the weight in just a week.

A couple of months ago I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, right as I was starting my placement, as well as having a hard time with someone I worked with at placement, so those few weeks were pretty unbearable and absolute hell. They struggled to fix it for a while but they found medication that worked and my flare up has pretty much gone. Though the medication is 8 huge tablets a day and for the rest of my life.

During the investigations for my colitis, they also found that my thyroid was low, I just went for the repeat bloods and it came back normal, however I have to go back again in a few months to check it is still normal. I was pretty surprised that it was normal as I do have a lot of the symptoms of hypothyroidism, but at least that's one less tablet to worry about.

I would just like to add that if you, like myself, have a huge needle phobia, getting all these blood tests and other needles being put into you really does help the phobia. I never thought I'd be able to handle one blood test let alone multiple. And I did it without crying or fainting!

I have also had all sorts of treatments for intense itching, however this has still not been resolved and the doctors don't actually know what it is.

Some how I managed to pass first year, including my placement without actually taking any time off (Which I probably should have done - If you have health problems please put them first because pushing yourself over the limit really doesn't help and makes it all worse)

So I wondered if anyone had any similar experiences? Either with any of the health problems I have or health problems during a stressful time such as first year of uni, I'd like to know how others coped with it all so I can maybe find ways to make second year a little easier.
I'm happy to answer questions and help anyone as best I can if they want a little support, having people there to support you is one of the most important things I found :h:

Sorry to hear you're going through all of this.

I too have had a lot of problems over the course of the last three years and still need to look into a lot of them as health anxiety and agoraphobia meant I wasn't able to go out and have these things checked.

I'm impressed you've managed to stay at uni and pass the year that's great! I had to stop everything really as I wasn't in any state to be studying at masters level and I hated the course and the people which meant if I carried on it would have just been another stressor at a time when I needed to stop everything and focus on getting better. But if you can get the right support at uni and you actually enjoy what you're doing as well as getting good care from your doctors... Then that'll give you the best chance of being able to carry on what you're doing without sacrificing your health further or preventing any progress you might be capable of making.
Reply 2
Original post by Little Popcorns
Sorry to hear you're going through all of this.

I too have had a lot of problems over the course of the last three years and still need to look into a lot of them as health anxiety and agoraphobia meant I wasn't able to go out and have these things checked.

I'm impressed you've managed to stay at uni and pass the year that's great! I had to stop everything really as I wasn't in any state to be studying at masters level and I hated the course and the people which meant if I carried on it would have just been another stressor at a time when I needed to stop everything and focus on getting better. But if you can get the right support at uni and you actually enjoy what you're doing as well as getting good care from your doctors... Then that'll give you the best chance of being able to carry on what you're doing without sacrificing your health further or preventing any progress you might be capable of making.

It's good that you took a break to focus on your health, I hope you get help with it and that you start to feel better. Have you tried seeing if there are options to have a doctor or health professional come to you?
I didn't really enjoy my first year or a lot of the people who were around me, causing my mental health problems to become even worse. However the doctors I have seen and the support I'm getting with all my problems has been amazing, not quite so much from my friends but health professionals, the uni and my family.
It's good that you took a break to focus on your health, I hope you get help with it and that you start to feel better. Have you tried seeing if there are options to have a doctor or health professional come to you?
I didn't really enjoy my first year or a lot of the people who were around me, causing my mental health problems to become even worse. However the doctors I have seen and the support I'm getting with all my problems has been amazing, not quite so much from my friends but health professionals, the uni and my family.
I managed to get someone to see me for a while a home but with the goal of getting me out of the house to see me outside, then the sessions finished. It's just a case of seeing what'll be available now.

My doctor's been a bit weird and kinda rubbish at times but then really good at other times and the cbt guy he got to come and see me at home was really good which made up for it. I tend not to see too much of my friends but when I do they're good about it but wouldn't really burden them too much otherwise I'd be worried they'll get fed up.

But yeah I 100% agree if you can get good support from the professionals it does really help you carry on in so far as is possible :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I managed to get someone to see me for a while a home but with the goal of getting me out of the house to see me outside, then the sessions finished. It's just a case of seeing what'll be available now.

My doctor's been a bit weird and kinda rubbish at times but then really good at other times and the cbt guy he got to come and see me at home was really good which made up for it. I tend not to see too much of my friends but when I do they're good about it but wouldn't really burden them too much otherwise I'd be worried they'll get fed up.

But yeah I 100% agree if you can get good support from the professionals it does really help you carry on in so far as is possible :smile:

Well I hope you can find someone again who can help you reach that goal and continue to support you.
You could always try another doctor if you're not entirely happy with the one you have, there are ones who are good all the time! I tried CBT and it didn't help at all, but that's because I was in a place where I had no motivation to do anything she was suggesting so that ended, now it's just relying on medication.
I'm glad you have good friends there to help support you if you want it :smile:
Well I hope you can find someone again who can help you reach that goal and continue to support you.
You could always try another doctor if you're not entirely happy with the one you have, there are ones who are good all the time! I tried CBT and it didn't help at all, but that's because I was in a place where I had no motivation to do anything she was suggesting so that ended, now it's just relying on medication.
I'm glad you have good friends there to help support you if you want it :smile:
Thanks and yeah you're right about the doctor situation.

Sorry to hear the cbt didn't work maybe you might try again at some point once you know you're ready to be able to 'contend' with it?
Reply 6
Thanks and yeah you're right about the doctor situation.

Sorry to hear the cbt didn't work maybe you might try again at some point once you know you're ready to be able to 'contend' with it?

Maybe, I'm just not sure if it was going to help me though, whereas medication will

Quick Reply

Latest