The Student Room Group

Want to go into IB but ****ed up my AS

Basically I wanted to go study economics at uni. I do Maths, Geography, Politics and Economics but I flopped my AS and mocks so bad- I'm getting predicted A*DAA so I'm basically ****ed. But I want to go into IB (in equity research) so I need to go to a good uni. Should I take a gap year and apply with achieved grades or should I drop geography (I don't do AS for it and my predicted grade was determined by a mock exam) and try and see if I can get into a target with A*AA

Thanking you in advance for the help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i don't get whats wrong with your predictions when unis only require 3 grades ? if your predicted A*DAA then you will meet an A*AA offer ?
Reply 2
lol misread that. thought it said you got ****ed up your arse.
Reply 3
Original post by fefssdf
i don't get whats wrong with your predictions when unis only require 3 grades ? if your predicted A*DAA then you will meet an A*AA offer ?

Yeah but most peeps applying to top unis get way better predictions than me. I could try and shmooze some teachers to improve my politics grade to an A* but that's all man can do. The units won't find out about the geog if I drop it though since it's not an AS.

So should I try and apply this year or take a gap year and apply then?
Reply 4
Economics at UCL and Bristol but ucl is so hard to get into for economics and my A*AA only just meets the requirements so I'm thinking of doing a gap year after getting better grades and then applying with achieved grades.
Reply 5
Guys have any of you done or are gonna apply for the Deloitte scholars scheme? I might apply for that or the Accenture horizons thing or the IBM gap year scheme as well. Especially cos at Deloitte you can do investment consulting and learn some financial modelling, at least that's what I heard from a guy on LinkedIn.
Literally this, I don't understand why OP is freaking out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Princepieman
Literally this, I don't understand why OP is freaking out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm freaking out cos I expected to do way better in my exams and I didn't. I really want to go to ucl for exon so I got really pissed off with myself for not doing better in my mocks and AS.
Original post by Mandem67
I'm freaking out cos I expected to do way better in my exams and I didn't. I really want to go to ucl for exon so I got really pissed off with myself for not doing better in my mocks and AS.

Oh well, life is tough dude. Just have to work with what you have, if the answer is no, find a workaround. Posting about an A*AAD prediction on TSR isn't going to help you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Oh well, life is tough dude. Just have to work with what you have, if the answer is no, find a workaround. Posting about an A*AAD prediction on TSR isn't going to help you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But would it look better if I drop geography so I end up with A*AA?

You tell me mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
You tell me mate

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know. It doesn't look like I failed a subject unlike A*AAD
I don't know. It doesn't look like I failed a subject unlike A*AAD

So you have your answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
So you have your answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok. Thanks.
Well you aren't going to be getting into any targets with A*AADor A*AA, especially for econ so I'd either go for a semi-target like Bristol or take a year out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Basically I wanted to go study economics at uni. I do Maths, Geography, Politics and Economics but I flopped my AS and mocks so bad- I'm getting predicted A*DAA so I'm basically ****ed. But I want to go into IB (in equity research) so I need to go to a good uni. Should I take a gap year and apply with achieved grades or should I drop geography (I don't do AS for it and my predicted grade was determined by a mock exam) and try and see if I can get into a target with A*AA

Thanking you in advance for the help.

I know you're looking for advice but I'm thinking about taking AS levels in either Mathmatics and or economics. As someone who has taken it, despite your unfortunate situation on the subjects. Would you still recommend taking them? Do you think they are worth while?
Reply 17
Is there not more to life then IB?

My dream job is to teach portfolio management, international finance and corporate finance
I would do that anyday then go into IB.
Reply 18

Geography is irrelevant. Drop it.
You tell me mate

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you have your answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol you really developed his problem solving skills there,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending