The Student Room Group

Lemur's GYG Thread

Scroll to see replies

Maths Paper 1
I don't actually remember much about this paper now tbh but what I remember of it was ok. I think I probably did as well as anyone else judging by people's reactions and I did get one of the (imo) most complicated questions right :smile:
Maths Paper 2
This was similar to paper 1, I think there were more questions I didn't know the topics for but I only left one question and the final question came out beautifully :smile:
Maths Paper 3
There were much fewer questions than the other papers in this paper. The first 14/18 were relatively easy all bar one circle theorem question but then the final ones were all topics I wasn't happy with :frown: Overall most people found that paper easier which I found a bit odd but hopefully I still did ok
English Paper 1
The source in this paper was really weird but I think that was because it was from the middle of a chapter in a random book lol. I don't think I wrote enough for the 20 mark question and the 40 mark question was either brilliant or terrible and I have no clue which lol. I think it will actually be quite dependent on the marker tbh
English Paper 2
This paper was 1000x better than paper 1 :smile: The 4 marker and the 12 marker were great in the reading although I'm not sure I wrote enough for the 8 marker and I wasn't particularly happy with the 16 marker ( but it was definitely better than the 20 marker in paper 1). The writing section was amazing! It was a topic I was really knowledgeable about but not an obvious topic so I think I had quite an advantage over most people in that respect although the marker may well have thought I was just making things up lol
Chemistry ISA practical
The practical wasn't great and because we had to use water to dilute the acid rather than just different concentrations of acids which made the results not terribly reliable and we ran out of time so we had to estimate the other results. Paper 2 on Monday.
ECDL- Improving Productivity
I love instant marking :smile: I got 93% in performance and 100% in knowledge which is 95% overall (performance is weighted 75%). This means my average was 96.5% in the overall qualification which is a distinction* (A* equivalent) :smile::smile::smile::smile:
Physics ISA Paper 1
The paper wasn't great as the topic itself was difficult to plan but I think I did alright :smile: Practical isn't for another 2 weeks though as we have end of year exams in both our physics lessons next week :frown:
Just a note saying I'm ready to do an update but I can't cope with the formatting problems at the moment so I'm waiting for those to be fixed before I post it. In the meantime, I have lots of coursework to catch up on :frown:
Original post by Lemur14
Just a note saying I'm ready to do an update but I can't cope with the formatting problems at the moment so I'm waiting for those to be fixed before I post it. In the meantime, I have lots of coursework to catch up on :frown:

You can do it lemur!!!!:getmecoat::tsr2:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bengaltiger_
You can do it lemur!!!!:getmecoat::tsr2:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I hope so. If it gets to the end of next week without any changes I might have to deal with it, but currently I'm just gonna keep waiting...
Original post by Lemur14
Thanks, I hope so. If it gets to the end of next week without any changes I might have to deal with it, but currently I'm just gonna keep waiting...

If you don't mind me asking, what EDCL?:h:

You mean ECDL ... European Computer Driving Licence.

Ooops sorry meant to reply to that in the other thread. ECDL is the European Computer Driving Licence. There are 4 units--word, powerpoint, excel and improving productivity. Most of it is what you do in day to day life, but there is some things which you probably won't have done and probably would never do again (yes mail merge I'm looking at you). The improving productivity unit you have to do things in the best way but apart from that it's easy. Oh, and there's some multiple choice questions as well for each unit. It's a GCSE equivalent--graded with distinction*, distinction, merit, pass or fail. The pass mark is 75% and you can retake units up to 3 times before you fail the whole course. But basically, it's the easiest GCSE equivalent you could ever do, employers quite like it as it shows a variety of skills possessed, and if you ever get the chance to take it, I would say do it!
Original post by JTran38
You mean ECDL ... European Computer Driving Licence.

I spy @JTran38...
Original post by Lemur14
Ooops sorry meant to reply to that in the other thread. ECDL is the European Computer Driving Licence. There are 4 units--word, powerpoint, excel and improving productivity. Most of it is what you do in day to day life, but there is some things which you probably won't have done and probably would never do again (yes mail merge I'm looking at you). The improving productivity unit you have to do things in the best way but apart from that it's easy. Oh, and there's some multiple choice questions as well for each unit. It's a GCSE equivalent--graded with distinction*, distinction, merit, pass or fail. The pass mark is 75% and you can retake units up to 3 times before you fail the whole course. But basically, it's the easiest GCSE equivalent you could ever do, employers quite like it as it shows a variety of skills possessed, and if you ever get the chance to take it, I would say do it!

Ahh I did not know thattt :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh I did not know thattt :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not many people do lol, I don't know any other schools which do that qualification which is odd as it is so easy, basically like a free GCSE equivalent lol
Original post by Lemur14
Not many people do lol, I don't know any other schools which do that qualification which is odd as it is so easy, basically like a free GCSE equivalent lol

lol, I guess its really useful too. I hear many unis highly respect the ability to use word, excel ect in a person
lol, I guess its really useful too. I hear many unis highly respect the ability to use word, excel ect in a person

employers certainly appreciate not having to teach employees that lol
Original post by Lemur14
employers certainly appreciate not having to teach employees that lol

Hahaha that's true lol
I've been told a way to get around the formatting issues atm so it's finally time for an update :smile: It's going to be a long one so I'm going to split it up a bit. First, each exam taken.
GCSE Statistics(27th June)
This exam was quite odd tbh. There was very little calculations in the paper and lots of explanation which unfortunately makes me suspect I've slipped to an A rather than the A* I wanted but oh well, it's all done now :smile:
Chemistry ISA paper 2 (27th June)
This paper was ok, nothing too strange and I think I did ok. Before moderation my score in my ISA overall is 45/50 which is an A* but it is likely to be moderated down to an A.
History: USA Land of Freedom? 1945-1955 Kq1/2(28th June)
This paper was really good :smile: We got given slightly more time than we would have in the actual exam and I ran out of time to do the 10 marker justice which was a shame but it was still less of a disaster than the 10 marker on the last mock! I got iirc 32/40. It was definitely an A3 either way though lol. I just need to work on getting the final mark or two on the source questions and my timing so I can get the 10 marker done well.
Physics End of Year test(30th June)
This paper was composed of mostly the 2014 additional AQA paper but there was one question removed and replaced with one from the 2013 paper. I wasn't very well prepared for this paper as I could have been as the night before I didn't get home until 10:30 after helping with a school maths event and two different drama rehearsals. Due to stats on the Monday and revising for history and biology on Monday and Tuesday respectively all the revision I did was reading through the revision guide in maths that morning! I got 58% overall, which was second best in the class and 35/60. Because the paper was a mix of papers the grade boundaries haven't been confirmed but between the 2014 and 2013 papers it suggests that it will be about 35 or 36 for an A so I'm on the A/B boundary
Chemistry End of Year test(30th June)
The chemistry paper was great until the last question which was a disaster as I had no clue about it at all. It was the 2015 paper. Considering I was on even less revision than physics it was great. I got 67% or 40/60 which is right on the A boundary, also second best in the class :smile:
Biology End of Year test(4th July)
This test was postponed from the 29th June. I spent a lot of time revising for it the night before that date but I didn't feel at all prepared by the next week, having felt totally ready the week before! Everyone knew it was the 2015 paper previously and some people had gone as far as to memorise the mark scheme. Personally, I hadn't seen the paper but everyone knew some of the answers (eg. the multiple choice question was B) as they had been floating around ever since our teacher made the mistake of telling our class the specific topics for the test. Because I spent so long on revision and the topics from our teacher were so specific then I got 42/60, 70% or an A
Physics ISA paper 2(14th July)
Nothing unusual on the paper that I remember Overall I got 42/50 which is an A and is unlikely to be moderated down seeing as my teacher does all the moderating apart from his own so he should know what he is looking for!
(edited 7 years ago)
End of Term Summary

In business our second controlled assessment was postponed until after the summer. We missed 4 hours of lesson time so we weren't prepared enough by the latest date possible for us to start it

In computing we should have had the controlled assessment finished by the end of term. Because of 4 hours missed (2 hours because of stats, 2 hours because of mocks) we didn't quite get there but I don't think we would have done anyway. When we get back it will have been marked and we are allowed an estimated mark. I finished everything apart from restructuring my first programming techniques and the actual writing of my second programming techniques section. Unfortunately that is what it worth the most marks so my mark is going to look terrible next term but that can't be helped.

In electronics we have finished section 1 of our coursework! Will all be marked and we will start section 2 the first lesson back after the holidays

In history we have finished USA: Land of Freedom? 1945-1975. When we come back we will be starting our coursework on Nazi Germany

In English, I did my speaking and we finished the final 2 poems. When we come back we have half a term on Blood Brothers followed by half a term on Macbeth. Then we're into revision

In maths we didn't really do much after the stats exam. We lost the momentum a bit. We did do a bit of trigonometry, sine law etc. but also we did dodgeball, bacon cooking and teacher evaluations (yes that takes an hour!)

In chemistry due to odd circumstances we didn't actually have another proper lesson after the end of year test so we will be starting the C3 syllabus when we get back. I think we will also be doing another ISA

In physics we lost a few lessons due to trips and enterprise days so we didn't have any spare lessons at the end of term. Next term we are repeating our ISAs as although I got an A, I was one of two and 14 people got Ds or Es out of our class of 29! (and we're second set). I'd really like an A* in the ISA so I'm glad of this opportunity (and hopefully a better topic will be the next one)

In biology the end of term was a bit of a disaster. We had one physics lesson taken over by the head of biology because we were so far behind. She covered 4 topics in one lesson including one we'd spent 3 lessons on which still made no sense with our teacher. Then, the Friday before the end of term our teacher announces she hasn't done enough tests (because apparently we told her not to do them when we hadn't heard them being mentioned before...) so she makes us do one in her lesson on Monday, one in our chemistry lesson on Wednesday then mark them both on Thursday's lesson. In one of them I got 31/47 and the other I got 34/45. Not too bad for next to no revision lol

We had our last IT lesson ever (and also RS but who cares). I will really miss IT lessons next year :frown: We've had the same great class with a brilliant teacher for the past 2 years and the course was easy so it didn't afford much effort. (Plus no homework is always a great class and free study now and again was a great boost for computing and other subjects)

RS, I'll miss the teacher a bit, she's great fun, and it's the same class as IT so the class was good but the content was awful so I'm definitely not objecting to the lack of it next year lol

End of Term Grades
Here is my final report grades 2016:
Final Grades 2016.PNG
As usual some of the grades are totally off (chemistry too low, biology too high for example).
I also have absolutely no idea why my business grade went down when all we've done since March is controlled assessment, where so far I am on 100%. All year I have never got lower than an A* so why I've gone to a low A is beyond me.
The electronics is just the electronics teacher being stubborn. Long story but he gives you the same grade all year apart from in year 11 because he has to make his predictions accurate then for targets
The colours are based roughly off expected progress. The school expect you to make one grade worth of progress every year. This means that over the time the grade can actually be worse as you aren't improving towards the target grade. The colours aren't particularly accurate because I just sort of coloured them in roughly what I thought was right. I think it says more about the schools grading system and some of my teachers than me that I'm not happy that my results are standardised across the subjects and feel that some of the grades aren't an accurate reflection of what I consistently score in unit tests and prove I am capable of. I can only hope they get more accurate as we approach sixth form entry and need predicted grades which can be relied on.
Next Years Teachers
Maths-->Same teacher as this year. Great guy. Not so great classroom but oh well. I'm sure we'll all do great under him
English-->We've lost our language teacher oh what a shame and will have our current lit teacher for all lessons. I think he might struggle to balance the lit and lang but he's a great teacher and we have a great class. Could certainly be 1000 times worse than what we have.
Biology-->We have the Head of Science!! Not as great as the head of biology but she's leaving so it would be quite difficult to have her :tongue: Her teaching style doesn't particularly gel with my learning style so there's still going to be a lot of work to do but I'm sure we'll make a lot more progress next year than any other year before
Chemistry-->Head of chemistry, same as this year. Amazing teacher even if her grades she gives out are questionable. Unbelievably happy to still have her!
Physics-->same teacher has this year. He's technically a chemistry teacher but he teaches physics fine, I just wish he would be a bit less boring! Can only think of one other physics teacher I would be happy to have though so I'm not going to complain about a boring teacher as long as he gets us our results (yes I know, it's us who has to get us our own results but still....)
Electronics-->There's only one electronics teacher so it's kind of difficult to have an opinion. He's good, knows what he's talking about, loves his subject even if he is always sleep deprived (he has a small baby and a toddler in the house). I'm sure we'll do just fine under him, just as long as he bothers to teach us the theory for the paper rather than getting carried away with the coursework!
Computing-->Same teachers as previous two years, I'm not even sure if any of the other IT teachers teach computing lol. Both are great, though one is much more fun than the other. I'm sure we'll do great under them :smile:
Business-->Our teacher left so we are getting one of the new teachers in. Apparently they taught at our school previously and got some of the best results seen. I've spoken to a couple of teachers from different departments and they all rate this teacher so I think we've been left in good hands. Only time will tell
History-->Now our amazing head of history has left we've been abandoned to the teacher I would have chosen last to have out of the history teachers. Mostly because I've never actually had them and I've had all the other ones. I'm sure she's great, she's definitely loud and big on discipline so maybe our class might behave for once (!) Would still rather any of the other ones though (I need to clear my mind of this judgement and just accept it though)
Politics-->Definitely not the teacher I would have chosen. He's extremely boring and the classroom is the one I had biology in this year so not great memories in there. The class is very small but there's people I get along with so I'm sure it will be fine. Bring on Friday last period!
PE-->We have our head of year and his boss as our teachers...I'm wondering who is in our class to give us such important teachers! The likelihood of being with them very often or for long though is low and they're fine teachers so it doesn't really matter (even if I would rather my year 7 teacher). It doesn't really matter anyhow because we're not going to get any qualification out of it (anyone up for Monday morning PE?)
Summer To Do List

History homework (6x tasks--1 complete)

English poetry essay

Business coursework notes

Electronics circuits ideas (this isn't homework but will be greatly helpful when I get back)

Chemistry notes (C1,C2)

Physics notes (P1, P2)

Biology notes (B1, B2)

Business notes (A292)

Buy Blood Brothers and Macbeth

Highlight ACC

MITSLC all poems in cluster

Completely clear out my room

Get my Stats and RS results

Learn all my lines and song lyrics

I'm sure more will be added as I think of them!
(edited 7 years ago)
Well the grade boundaries have been released. One day til results.
The statistics grade boundaries are at a record low. I'm really happy with thia and the exam was ok so hopefully I should be on track :smile:
The RS grade boundaries are quite high. The paper was awful so I'm not holding up hope but with any luck I can get a B anyway :smile: I'm actually about to go on holiday in about 5 minutes so I'm getting my results by email at about 1pm tomorrow. I should be able to pop on and say how I di. Good luck everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending