The Student Room Group

Printing Costs at Uni

I was wondering if anyone could share their opinions and experiences of uni printing costs and requirements. I'd like to know whether you'd consider it worthwhile buying my own cheap printer to save having to buy printer credit at whichever uni I end up at (Birmingham is my firm, Southampton my insurance but I'm so conflicted as to how my exams went I could be going anywhere).

How much printing do you need to do, roughly?
Do you think printing costs are too much or stack up to a lot over the year?

I'm particularly interested in hearing from other physics/science students as I'm assuming (hoping!) that there'll be less long written assignments for us than the English lot.

Thanks!
Original post by owlnerd
I was wondering if anyone could share their opinions and experiences of uni printing costs and requirements. I'd like to know whether you'd consider it worthwhile buying my own cheap printer to save having to buy printer credit at whichever uni I end up at (Birmingham is my firm, Southampton my insurance but I'm so conflicted as to how my exams went I could be going anywhere).

How much printing do you need to do, roughly?
Do you think printing costs are too much or stack up to a lot over the year?

I'm particularly interested in hearing from other physics/science students as I'm assuming (hoping!) that there'll be less long written assignments for us than the English lot.

Thanks!

Apart from a portfolio, everything else was electronically submitted so can't have spent more than a tenner a year on printing, if that. (at 5p a sheet it was).
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Apart from a portfolio, everything else was electronically submitted so can't have spent more than a tenner a year on printing, if that. (at 5p a sheet it was).

Thanks! I forgot/didn't consider that things are electronically submitted. I'm still used to teachers being all "If it's not printed and on my desk I don't care if you've done it or not. Broken printers and lost files are no excuse."
Reply 3
It's 3p a sheet for b&w, 8p a sheet for colour where I am at the mo. If you spent £25 on a basic printer, you'd need to print over 800 b&w pages a year befor it started to save you money. Seems unlikely, even if all hand-ins are on paper.

Your prospective uni should have print costs online somewhere. Do the maths before bothering to buy a printer.*
Original post by owlnerd
Thanks! I forgot/didn't consider that things are electronically submitted. I'm still used to teachers being all "If it's not printed and on my desk I don't care if you've done it or not. Broken printers and lost files are no excuse."

It depends on the university but many are paperless these days and it allows the use of plagarism checkers if they have electronic copies.
2nd and 3rd year you'll be printing out alot of stuff if you're really motivated and into your course, this printing **** and uni is annoying though, not the prices but the printers are so slow

Posted from TSR Mobile
My university requires both electronic and paper submissions, so don't rely on the fact that some universities are paperless. Some courses will also provide you with print outs that you are expected to bring to the lectures with you. I had one particular semester with 7 lectures per week that all required us to print the handouts and bring them with us.It also depends on how you study best. I cannot read and concentrate from a screen, it just doesn't work for me, so I save all of my journal articles to mendeley in order to keep them organised, but I print them off so that I can read and annotate them. That gets pricy. I always recommend getting your own printer, because the printers at my uni are ridiculously temperamental and are often either jammed, frozen or busy. Being able to print urgent things at home is much better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending