The Student Room Group

Where to meet slightly older guys?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Goaded
I've always been friends with older people so meet them through friends etc :smile:

how did you meet these older friends in the first place? :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by abcde3237
how did you meet these older friends in the first place? :smile:

initially through one friend who although 10 years older than me has always been my best friend
How old r u?
fair enough, what if i said that my degree of choice was a longer one (almost double that of normal degrees) and almost guaranteed employment at the end ? Is there that much of a difference between say a 22 y/o in their last year of uni and a 23 y/o who's just graduated? What about a 21 y/o who has graduated, but a 22 y/o who is doing a second degree? The argument doesn't hold much water

why couldn't someone at uni also be ready to settle down? being of uni going age and being mature/ready to settle down aren't mutually exclusive :s-smilie: guys don't generally tend to look for 'career women' in particular, and prefer younger girls just because, no need for exceptions. Trying to understand where you're coming from but it's not making much sense to me

I'm not trying to make any sort of argument at you or tell you that the type of guy you're looking for wouldn't want to go for you. I don't really know anything about you. As I said, I'm sure there are many guys of that sort who would be happy to go for someone who's still at uni, it's hardly a total deal breaker.

However, speaking from my own point of view (I'm 26, graduated 5 years ago and have a good job) I think it's fair to say that, all else being equal, most guys in that position would usually find that, when it comes to settling down, they'd prefer someone who has completed their education and begun their careers. I myself know of several inconveniences of being with someone who is studying and has another couple of years left.

That's not to say they wouldn't go for you - they may well do. I'm just wondering what it is about you that would make them prefer you over every other graduate woman who'd be available to them. There are many reasons why they might, so it's just worth considering which of those reasons apply to you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Sisuphos
How old r u?

early twenties
Reply 45
Original post by tazarooni89
I'm not trying to make any sort of argument at you or tell you that the type of guy you're looking for wouldn't want to go for you. I don't really know anything about you.*As I said, I'm sure there are many guys of that sort who would be happy to go for someone who's still at uni, it's hardly a total deal breaker.

However, speaking from my own point of view (I'm 26, graduated 5 years ago and have a good job) I think it's fair to say that, all else being equal, most guys in that position would usually find that, when it comes to settling down, they'd prefer someone who has completed their education and begun their careers. I myself endured several inconveniences of being with someone who is studying medicine and has another couple of years left.

That's not to say they wouldn't go for you - they may well do. I'm just wondering what it is about you that would make them prefer you over every other graduate woman who'd be available to them. There are many reasons why they might (as I did), so it's just worth considering which of those reasons apply to you.

I see :smile: Just curious, what kind of inconveniences did you come across , things like distance or time?

edit: i'm not trying to argue either, just wanted to understand where you were coming from, difficult to convey tone over text without putting in 100 smilies and exclamation marks !
(edited 7 years ago)
I see :smile: Just curious, what kind of inconveniences did you come across , things like distance or time?

Being at university comes with many commitments that may conflict with the commitments of being in a "settled down" relationship with someone who's well into their career.

For example, if that person got a job in another city, would you be able to go with them? Are you be able to give your full time and attention to them, even during exam season? What if they want to have kids, would you be able to do that whilst still at university? What if they want to come home to their partner and talk/complain/ask for advice about something happening with them at work, would you be able to communicate with them on that level, even having never experienced it for yourself? Would you both feel perfectly ease and not at all out of place amongst each other's friends, given that they're all of a different age and at a different stage of life? Would you be totally financially dependent on him, seeing as you're not working yet?

Some of these kinds of issues especially apply to someone doing a degree like medicine. Not only is their degree longer, but their job immediately after graduating involves some long and seriously unsociable hours, and it's no guarantee that you'll get one in the location of your choice. *

When it comes to fulfilling the commitments of a settled relationship, still being at university is usually more of a liability than an asset. Think about it - you yourself prefer to settle down with someone who has completed university already, don't you? Wouldn't men also be thinking the same way, for the most part?

It takes exceptional circumstances for none of these things I mentioned to pose any issues whatsoever. And people would normally only be willing to put up with all these issues and feel like it's all worth it just to be with you if they consider you to be exceptionally suitable for them in some other way. That's why it's relatively unusual for such relationships to form and ultimately work out, and far more common for people to (for example) wait until university is over before getting married.

If you want to do something that is different to "usual, standard practice", you should really think about what makes you and your situation different enough to warrant it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 47
Being at university comes with many commitments that may conflict with the commitments of being in a "settled down" relationship with someone who's well into their career.

For example, if that person got a job in another city, would you be able to go with them?

Probably not until i finished my degree and chose to do training in that particular city (which id be up for if it was a serious relationship)

Are you be able to give your full time and attention to them, even during exam season?

Hmm being an optimist id say probably, i spend a fair amount of time doing extracurriculars so id prioritise it, and I'm not aiming to be top of the class (which would obvs take time) just to pass comfortably

What if they want to have kids, would you be able to do that whilst still at university?

Probably unlikely that ill even be married by the time uni ends (2/3 years) so that wouldn't be problem, id opt to put my career on hold once id graduated if it was the choice between that and having a family

*What if they want to come home to their partner and talk/complain/ask for advice about something happening with them at work, would you be able to communicate with them on that level, even having never experienced it for yourself? Would you both feel perfectly ease and not at all out of place amongst each other's friends, given that they're all of a different age and at a different stage of life?

wouldn't that be a matter of good communication and understanding/empathy for ones partner? and i dare say that as long as I'm trying my best to fit in it shouldn't be a problem getting comfortable with new people? I'm not going to be spending the majority of the relationship with their friends, I'm in a relationship with them

Would you be totally financially dependent on him, seeing as you're not working yet?

no my finaces would remain/continue as they were when I was single, why would they change?

Some of these kinds of issues especially apply to someone doing a degree like medicine. Not only is their degree longer, but their job immediately after graduating involves some long and seriously unsociable hours, and it's no guarantee that you'll get one in the location of your choice.

This is very true, I've often wondered about a way around that :s-smilie:

Thanks for your replies, you've given me a lot to think about :smile: I do think that if it came down to it, my priority would be a family (or building up towards a solid relationship to start one eventually) as opposed to my career, although the reality is i can't be 100% in control of how things will pan out!
(edited 7 years ago)
OP try mutual friends who are older, I have older female friends who try to set me up :lol:

For example, if that person got a job in another city, would you be able to go with them? Are you be able to give your full time and attention to them, even during exam season? What if they want to have kids, would you be able to do that whilst still at university? What if they want to come home to their partner and talk/complain/ask for advice about something happening with them at work, would you be able to communicate with them on that level, even having never experienced it for yourself? Would you both feel perfectly ease and not at all out of place amongst each other's friends, given that they're all of a different age and at a different stage of life? Would you be totally financially dependent on him, seeing as you're not working yet?

Does this still apply to mature students? :s-smilie:

I'm 22 and have a very good job in London (better paid than most people my age). I'm going to start a degree at a London uni as a mature student at 24 or 25, I don't need one but want a degree. I am worried about dating before/after it though, even though I don't want to study something like medicine that would take up loads of time, and would balance dating with being an "old" student :s-smilie:
Thanks for your replies, you've given me a lot to think about :smile: I do think that if it came down to it, my priority would be a family (or building up towards a solid relationship to start one eventually) as opposed to my career, although the reality is i can't be 100% in control of how things will pan out!

This is very true. It's easy to plan exactly how everything's going to work out, but it's also inevitable that there will be many major issues, difficulties and unforeseen circumstances that you haven't even thought of yet, both from your side and your partner's side. The ones I mentioned are just the tip of the iceberg. You seem quite optimistic about being able to navigate those issues comfortably, but believe me when I say from experience that it's much easier said than done.

People do a lot of rapid growing up immediately after university when it properly hits them that they're a professional rather than a student. So in answer to your previous question, yes, there are huge differences between a*22 year old in their last year of uni, a 23 year old who has just graduated, and a 24 year old who has worked for a year. There are also huge differences between someone who has worked for a year and someone of the same age studying a second degree.

I think it's for that reason that, the sort of guy you're describing would usually prefer to go for someone a couple of years older than you who has completed university (all else being equal), to minimise these sorts of risks and restrictions, and to get someone who's more on their wavelength. Not only that, but they'd usually prefer someone who's completed their education and begun their career for many of the same reasons you would.

Like I say, that doesn't mean you have no chance with a guy like that, it just means that, because what you want is quite different to "usual, standard practice" and presents its own obstacles accordingly, you should think about whether you and your situation are really exceptional enough for it to be suitable for you. It may be, but it's definitely worth thinking about.
Reply 50
This is very true. It's easy to plan exactly how everything's going to work out, but it's also inevitable that there will be many major issues, difficulties and unforeseen circumstances that you haven't even thought of yet, both from your side and your partner's side. The ones I mentioned are just the tip of the iceberg. You seem quite optimistic about being able to navigate those issues comfortably, but believe me when I say from experience that it's much easier said than done.

People do a lot of rapid growing up immediately after university when it properly hits them that they're a professional rather than a student. So in answer to your previous question, yes, there are huge differences between a*22 year old in their last year of uni, a 23 year old who has just graduated, and a 24 year old who has worked for a year. There are also huge differences between someone who has worked for a year and someone of the same age studying a second degree.

I think it's for that reason that, the sort of guy you're describing would usually prefer to go for someone a couple of years older than you who has completed university (all else being equal), to minimise these sorts of risks and restrictions, and to get someone who's more on their wavelength. Not only that, but they'd usually prefer someone who's completed their education and begun their career for many of the same reasons you would.

Like I say, that doesn't mean you have no chance with a guy like that, it just means that, because what you want is quite different to "usual, standard practice" and presents its own obstacles accordingly, you should think about whether you and your situation are really exceptional enough for it to be suitable for you. It may be, but it's definitely worth thinking about.

ohh its got me thinking alright !

What do you suggest someone in my position do the? Go for guys my own age (of whom many aren't ready to settle down just yet/still figuring out who they are)? Or wait until guys my age have matured and hope for someone in a few years?

Why do so many men end up with younger women then if it's so fraught with obstacles?

also what do you mean by what I want is 'different to usual standard practise'? :confused:
(edited 7 years ago)
What do you suggest someone in my position do the? Go for guys my own age (of whom many aren't ready to settle down just yet/still figuring out who they are)? Or wait until guys my age have matured and hope for someone in a few years?

I think you have to figure out what suits you.

Most girls about your age are probably more focused on doing well in their degree and making the best of their potential career. They're probably having short term relationships, not necessarily thinking that the person they're with is the one who they'll ultimately settle down with, and just taking life as it comes in that sense. It's very difficult at that stage to already settle on who they're going to spend the rest of their lives with, because their futures are still so uncertain.

But there might be good reasons why your situation is different and it's not suitable for you to do what's normal for girls your age, I wouldn't know about that. All I would encourage is to think about these kinds of decisions holistically, and from the other person's point of view as well.
Why do so many men end up with younger women then if it's so fraught with obstacles?

It's not exactly that going for a younger woman is fraught with obstacles.*It's more that going for someone at a very different stage of life to you has obstacles.*That's why, for example, a five year age gap is a lot if an 20 year old is with a 15 year old. But if an 80 year old is with a 75 year old, it's not really much of an age gap, there isn't a lot of difference between them.

As I said, people grow up a lot immediately after leaving university, during their first year or two of their career. So at that stage the difference between someone in university and someone in a career is more pronounced than you might expect.

But even then, no relationship is ever perfect, and there are obstacles everywhere. So in some cases, putting up with certain obstacles to be with someone might be worth it for the qualities they bring that other people don't.
Reply 52
I think you have to figure out what suits you.

Most girls about your age are probably more focused on doing well in their degree and making the best of their potential career. They're probably having short term relationships, not necessarily thinking that the person they're with is the one who they'll ultimately settle down with, and just taking life as it comes in that sense. It's very difficult at that stage to already settle on who they're going to spend the rest of their lives with, because their futures are still so uncertain.

But there might be good reasons why your situation is different and it's not suitable for you to do what's normal for girls your age, I wouldn't know about that. All I would encourage is to think about these kinds of decisions holistically, and from the other person's point of view as well.

It's not exactly that going for a younger woman is fraught with obstacles.*It's more that going for someone at a very different stage of life to you has obstacles.*That's why, for example, a five year age gap is a lot if an 20 year old is with a 15 year old. But if an 80 year old is with a 75 year old, it's not really much of an age gap, there isn't a lot of difference between them.

As I said, people grow up a lot immediately after leaving university, during their first year or two of their career. So at that stage the difference between someone in university and someone in a career is more pronounced than you might expect.

But even then, no relationship is ever perfect, and there are obstacles everywhere. So in some cases, putting up with certain obstacles to be with someone might be worth it for the qualities they bring that other people don't.

Yeah i think personally my situation or aims are a little different to what is considered the norm these days so id prefer to take a different path. What you've said makes sense, many things that i hadn't previously considered that have given me food for thought and it was interesting to hear your own experiences too.

Still though, i think i fancy my chances, I mean ill never know until i try, and it can't hurt to give it a go, no ones committing to anything yet!

Do you have any ideas regarding the question in my OP? Like which sorts of places/activities will put me in contact with slightly older professional guys (thats not hook up oriented like tinder or seedy bars lol)?
Do you have any ideas regarding the question in my OP? Like which sorts of places/activities will put me in contact with slightly older professional guys (thats not hook up oriented like tinder or seedy bars lol)?

The kinds of bars that these professional guys go to usually aren't "seedy", they're usually located near major employers (e.g. in the city of London) and are just a place to go after work around 6pm and get a casual drink with some colleagues.

Similarly I'm sure there are some dating sites (particularly the ones you have to pay for) where people are more committed to finding serious relationships as opposed to a quick and easy one night stand.

I suppose you could also think if any mutual friends or family members can introduce you to anyone they know.
Reply 54
The kinds of bars that these professional guys go to usually aren't "seedy", they're usually located near major employers (e.g. in the city of London) and are just a place to go after work around 6pm and get a casual drink with some colleagues.

Similarly I'm sure there are some dating sites (particularly the ones you have to pay for) where people are more committed to finding serious relationships as opposed to a quick and easy one night stand.

I suppose you could also think if any mutual friends or family members can introduce you to anyone they know.

Ah, where about would these be (the City of London is rather vast), like Canary Wharf? Ive been to one in St Pauls with friends but it seemed full of the loud essex-type crowd even though it is a very nice area!
i met my 'older guy' through travelling. going on city breaks is a great way to meet new and interesting people. my 'older guy' is Dutch and i met him in Amsterdam. it may just be me, but i have always found that meeting others on holiday can be a great way to create a long lasting relationship!

you could also go online, although there is risk to that.

or just go out to a pub nearby or something like that, but bear in mind that you will have a smaller chance of meeting a 'great guy' than if you went on a dating site.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Girls from experience where do you meet guys who are in their mid-late twenties? I'm at uni and most people are 21/22 or younger but i prefer slightly older guys who are a bit more mature and settled.

Guys feel free to chime in too if you have good ideas through experience from mates or such!

Download Pokemon Go and go to a Pokestop in London you will find thousands. Original Pokemon is for people born in the early-mid 90s therefore Pokemon is the new Tinder.
Reply 57
Original post by NoahMal
Download Pokemon Go and go to a Pokestop in London you will find thousands. Original Pokemon is for people born in the early-mid 90s therefore Pokemon is the new Tinder.

Ive thought about doing that but aren't they just going to be really nerdy shut ins though? lol

like i want a decently attractive person not someone who hasn't been out of their moms basement in a while. I may just be mischaracterising pokemon go players :LOL:
boys don't grow up

they just get hairy chests
Ive thought about doing that but aren't they just going to be really nerdy shut ins though? lol

like i want a decently attractive person not someone who hasn't been out of their moms basement in a while. I may just be mischaracterising pokemon go players :LOL:

I'm a slightly older guy pm me ;D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending