The Student Room Group

feeling completely useless

Scroll to see replies

I think that if you wait for grades and see what you get then you can see if there are universities you want to go to in clearing for the course you want to do that will accept you with the grades you get, with accommodation available.

I would probably say that you can still afford to be choosy given you have another year at home available, but really looking at UCAS clearing there are a significant number of physics courses listed already.

Could you enrolled in a college/6th form in September if you decide to stay to get some support for your application of 2017 if it comes to that?
Original post by tangotangopapa2
I contacted the college who facilitated my attempt and they said that if I wish then I could retake few modules next year as an external candidate but they could neither provide me with predicated grades in Further Maths nor a reference which means I still can't apply at top institutions. Would you still recommend me to wait?

There is another problem. I will soon turn 18 and I will stop getting support from my mother. If I go through clearing I can move out straight to the university. But if I wait another year, I will have to move somewhere else. I am not sure if this should matter my decision about when to begin my course.

In that case, from the sounds of things delaying for a year might just be too inconvenient for you. Clearing's a bit different from when I was applying (2011) and seems to have some decent courses now, so there's every possibility you'll find something good and be able to sort it out. I'd register as soon as possible and ask someone who knows more about that particular process for some advice, like colin here.
Original post by Colinj451
I think that if you wait for grades and see what you get then you can see if there are universities you want to go to in clearing for the course you want to do that will accept you with the grades you get, with accommodation available.

I would probably say that you can still afford to be choosy given you have another year at home available, but really looking at UCAS clearing there are a significant number of physics courses listed already.

Could you enrolled in a college/6th form in September if you decide to stay to get some support for your application of 2017 if it comes to that?

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

I am sorry to pester you with too many questions.

The biggest problem I have is reference. I have still not been able to find a reference. I know I should talk to the university staff but what do you think about it?
Based on what I read, you phone universities following your results day and they give you verbal offers. Does this mean that they don't care about reference and your grades is only thing that matters?

What about making the application? Do you recommend me to make an application after the results day or before it?
A question regarding student finance. Deadline was back in May. What does it mean to the applicants who apply for it late August?
(edited 7 years ago)
Not sure how much a university will look at a reference during clearing although I have read TSR advice that effectively states to have a short reference to give the university verbally when you speaking to them.
If you aren't on UCAS already then I think you will need to register first anyway and pay your fee so I am not sure if you can get through without applying without a reference but you are better off doing a personal statement to begin with anyway and then contacting the unis you are interested in to explain in more detail about your background and education

A reference can be any adult that knows you that is willing to write on your behalf, maybe there is someone else that can draft something about you?

Get student finance started now, sooner the better

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending