The Student Room Group

What exactly is your problem with benefits?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xellah
Because when they wanted and needed them, it took them a long time to prove their eligibility. Also once, one of my ex work colleagues, was photographed by a neighbour doing some intensive garden work, he quickly had his benefits removed.. I'm not saying that people don't deserve disability benefits, as I agree, there are a lot of different reasons that people may need them, but it has been proven time and again that people will abuse the system if they can.

Prove how it's been proven that people abuse the system. He had his benefits removed probably because what he was claiming for; this is why I emphasise the conditions and requirements for each specific situation, which I'm sure your ex colleague's neighbour did not tell you.

Again if you're telling the truth but like in court hearsay is null and void.
Reply 21
Original post by 0to100
I feel most people don't even know which benefits are being claimed and aren't aware of eligibility requirements, nor sanctions. People just stay in a comfort zone of insulting what some people who claim look like, and don't realise all the circumstances within the democratic benefits system that sets UK apart from other countries who ignore civil and human rights to be helped by their government.

Most benefits are disability, earned tax credits, and supplementing inadequate pay whilst employed or formerly employed.

I'll list the popular ones or ones I'm aware of the most:

-Child benefits/Child tax credits-what is your issue with people having kids?

-Guardian's allowance-this is for people caring for children. What's wrong with that?

-NHS travel scheme and dental care-for those who need assistance with traveling for care or to hospital or whatever. Should someone die or stay ill simply because they're currently not in a good place financially?

-JSA/jobseeker's allowance-without it, people will be homeless whilst looking for work and skint. It's been cut massively and there are strict sanctions/penalty fees anyway. So what's the issue?

-ESA-for disabled people still wanting to work. The problem is where?

-DLA-for disabled people again, and you can be very young claiming it or getting it claimed for you. Any issues with the disabled, anyone?

-Working Tax credit-ermm these people are working. Operative word, "working."

-Pensions are a form of benefits. Any silly problems with that?

-Sick pay-self explanatory I'd reckon

-Maternity

-Housing benefits-what, you want them in the streets?

-"Return to work and in work" credit among others was stopped in like '13, so even though I know it's ****ed ppl over majorly the system is being monitored. It's not like dole is being tossed around like confetti.

So basically what I have here is specifying some forms of benefits people claim and why anyone would have an issue with people who are working, looking for work, disabled, or wanting to take care of their kids...

If you know anymore feel free to add to the list. :smile:

Last thing I'll say here: granted some people don't put the money to use how you feel it ought to be, but that doesn't mean ignore people who need whichever kind of assistance.

I think the problem most people have is when they see specific examples highlighted in the media such as the woman with 12 children, who cannot work (because she has 12 children) and gets more than most people earn in an average year from the government.
I also know of one of my parents friends who abused the system really, but perfectly legally. He was morbidly obese, and as a result could not work he needed a walking stick to even move, yet he was supported on a generous lifestyle better than what a lot of people could afford if they worked to get their pay. Just because he ate far too much and he then married his 'carer' so she was paid to live with him!
It is stories which give the face of benefits the warts and unpleasantness with which most people view it. So the real problem is media coverage of benefits and the people who take advantage of the benefits.
Original post by 0to100
I literally said ESA is for disability.

And they could very well still want to work. And what is your point?

Are they not deserving to receive help...? That's the point here.

I'm on ESA. The point is we're not able to work. Not that we're disabled and want to work.
Original post by BobSausage
I think the problem most people have is when they see specific examples highlighted in the media such as the woman with 12 children, who cannot work (because she has 12 children) and gets more than most people earn in an average year from the government.
I also know of one of my parents friends who abused the system really, but perfectly legally. He was morbidly obese, and as a result could not work he needed a walking stick to even move, yet he was supported on a generous lifestyle better than what a lot of people could afford if they worked to get their pay. Just because he ate far too much and he then married his 'carer' so she was paid to live with him!
It is stories which give the face of benefits the warts and unpleasantness with which most people view it. So the real problem is media coverage of benefits and the people who take advantage of the benefits.

Lmao this is such an extreme situation mate. Most people have got like 2-3 but their pay (as in employed unless claiming some sort of disability) can't afford the kid. This could've happened after they had their kids. There is no definitive order benefits and child conceiving go in? lol many people all the time are just fine for a long time, middle classed, making 20-40k and then lose their job or fall sick allll the time! Or are just fine but are renting and the owner says leave suddenly. And suddenly this otherwise normal productive person needs housing benefits, council's help, JSA, etc. So people shouldn't judge. No matter what they see on bloody telly.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I'm on ESA. The point is we're not able to work. Not that we're disabled and want to work.

So just because you're not able you don't want to? Maybe you but I'm sure there are people suddenly debilitated who want to work.

Again your point nitpicking something unworthy is...what? This thread is about specific situations where people mostly do deserve benefits? Strangely for what you claim to be claiming ESA, and IDK you from Adam so I neither believe nor am doubtful of you, whilst you claim you seem to be helping the negative stereotype that disabled people don't wanna work...strange lol
Reply 25
Original post by 0to100
Prove how it's been proven that people abuse the system. He had his benefits removed probably because what he was claiming for; this is why I emphasise the conditions and requirements for each specific situation, which I'm sure your ex colleague's neighbour did not tell you.

Again if you're telling the truth but like in court hearsay is null and void.

Perhaps my wording of time and again was wrong. However, with the exception of child benefits, I have only knowingly been in contact with a few people claiming benefits, so that's all I can base my opinions on. Unless I look at the media which, as you've stated, paints most people receiving benefits in a harsh light.
Reply 26
Original post by 0to100
Lmao this is such an extreme situation mate. Most people have got like 2-3 but their pay (as in employed unless claiming some sort of disability) can't afford the kid. This could've happened after they had their kids. There is no definitive order benefits and child conceiving go in? lol many people all the time are just fine for a long time, middle classed, making 20-40k and then lose their job or fall sick allll the time! Or are just fine but are renting and the owner says leave suddenly. And suddenly this otherwise normal productive person needs housing benefits, council's help, JSA, etc. So people shouldn't judge. No matter what they see on bloody telly.

I wasn't saying I do judge people, but the media is very forthcoming with examples of people abusing the benefits system, and whilst there are many who use the benefits system fairly and work as best they can the media never notices them they point out those who do abuse the system, and those who aren't on benefits get angry seeing people who have done nothing and are doing nothing earning as much and more than them in benefits. And when people are naive enough to not question the media, then it starts hatred against people on benefits.
Original post by Xellah
Perhaps my wording of time and again was wrong. However, with the exception of child benefits, I have only knowingly been in contact with a few people claiming benefits, so that's all I can base my opinions on. Unless I look at the media which, as you've stated, paints most people receiving benefits in a harsh light.

Okie doke then. I'm more about the general situation with added sympathy for some people I may know, as opposed to lack of empathy based on a few I may not even know well.
Original post by Drewski
So people need children?

Children need to eat.
Original post by 0to100
So just because you're not able you don't want to? Maybe you but I'm sure there are people suddenly debilitated who want to work.

Again your point nitpicking something unworthy is...what? This thread is about specific situations where people mostly do deserve benefits? Strangely for what you claim to be claiming ESA, and IDK you from Adam so I neither believe nor am doubtful of you, whilst you claim you seem to be helping the negative stereotype that disabled people don't wanna work...strange lol

The misunderstanding of what ESA is for has allowed cuts to the benefit that went (mostly) unquestioned because IDS defined ESA WRAG as 'disabled people who are able to work' so cut the benefit to JSA levels when people in WRAG are still unable to work.
Original post by BobSausage
I wasn't saying I do judge people, but the media is very forthcoming with examples of people abusing the benefits system, and whilst there are many who use the benefits system fairly and work as best they can the media never notices them they point out those who do abuse the system, and those who aren't on benefits get angry seeing people who have done nothing and are doing nothing earning as much and more than them in benefits. And when people are naive enough to not question the media, then it starts hatred against people on benefits.

No I understood what you were saying 100% I just don't agree 100% that media takes all blame for prejudice. If anything people who are ready to accept what they see on tv aren't ready to accept reality.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
The misunderstanding of what ESA is for has allowed cuts to the benefit that went (mostly) unquestioned because IDS defined ESA WRAG as 'disabled people who are able to work' so cut the benefit to JSA levels when people in WRAG are still unable to work.

What misunderstanding

I never said able to to work. If they're disabled they're not able are they.

I said willing to work whilst disabled pal. :yy:

Again while you hunt for redemption for your incorrect posts, what is your point pertaining to my thread?
Reply 32
Original post by 0to100
Okie doke then. I'm more about the general situation with added sympathy for some people I may know, as opposed to lack of empathy based on a few I may not even know well.

As I said in my first post, no problem with benefits or the people that claim them. Only the very few that abuse it.
Original post by Xellah
As I said in my first post, no problem with benefits or the people that claim them. Only the very few that abuse it.

Yes, very few :smile:
@john2054 come on mate you know what I mean
Original post by cherryred90s
Children need to eat.

I need to eat. I don't get help.
Original post by Drewski
I need to eat. I don't get help.

You're of age to help yourself e.g get a job. A child cannot..
Original post by 0to100
What misunderstanding

I never said able to to work. If they're disabled they're not able are they.

I said willing to work whilst disabled pal. :yy:

Again while you hunt for redemption for your incorrect posts, what is your point pertaining to my thread?

Not all disabled people can't work. But people on ESA can't work due to illness or disability. Our 'willingness to work' isn't part of the criteria.

My point is that you shouldn't talk about benefits when you don't understand what the benefit actually is for. The rhetoric that people on ESA WRAG are able to work (when the eligibility is that they can't) has led to a huge cut in benefits for thousands of people who have no choice and will lead to the worsening of the health problems and disabilities of the people in WRAG.
Original post by cherryred90s
You're of age to help yourself e.g get a job. A child cannot..

And that's what their parents are for.

As a responsible adult, why have something you knowingly can't afford without outside help?

As previously mentioned, I'm all for a safety net for people who's situation changes, but a default handout just because? Why?
Original post by Drewski
And that's what their parents are for.

As a responsible adult, why have something you knowingly can't afford without outside help?

As previously mentioned, I'm all for a safety net for people who's situation changes, but a default handout just because? Why?

Peoples situations change. Or do you really think people ask to have a disabled child or give up work to look after their disabled relative?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending