The Student Room Group

Uni courses in Clearing revealed for 2016

Scroll to see replies

A levels results come out on the 18th of August right?
Original post by Adrono
A levels results come out on the 18th of August right?

Right.
Original post by returnmigrant
A helpful tip which can avoid this sort of frustration - make sure you are checking available Clearing courses for HOME applicants. Many Unis will be offering places to overseas applicants on more courses than for Home.

Bahahah, good tip.
If I think there's a chance I might end up in clearing (unfortunately for me I think there is like a 50/50 chance) would it be a good idea to email some of the unis I've seen now because I have questions I wanted to ask one or two of them. Or would I just look desperate for a uni place/defeatist because I think I'll be in clearing?
I feel like I'm being stupid and I should just email them.
Original post by mgill17
If I think there's a chance I might end up in clearing (unfortunately for me I think there is like a 50/50 chance) would it be a good idea to email some of the unis I've seen now because I have questions I wanted to ask one or two of them. Or would I just look desperate for a uni place/defeatist because I think I'll be in clearing?
I feel like I'm being stupid and I should just email them.

I don't know, but that's what I'm doing - asking questions about entrance requirements, accommodation, etc in advance seems pragmatic.
Original post by greenmang0
I don't know, but that's what I'm doing - asking questions about entrance requirements, accommodation, etc in advance seems pragmatic.

I've written two draft emails that I'm just waiting to send off to the universities but I'm terrified for some reason. I might just do it, it can't hurt...surely?
Original post by mgill17
I've written two draft emails that I'm just waiting to send off to the universities but I'm terrified for some reason. I might just do it, it can't hurt...surely?

Phoning would probably be quicker.
Original post by mgill17

Correct it can't hurt. It's sensible to plan ahead.

Phoning may be quicker but email gives you a written answer, which may be more reassuring. It's also easier for busy admissions staff to handle.

Call if you really have an urgent question. (And write down who said what, and follow-up with an email.)

Otherwise email is often best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by jneill
Correct it can't hurt. It's sensible to plan ahead.

Phoning may be quicker but email gives you a written answer, which may be more reassuring. It's also easier for busy admissions staff to handle.

Call if you really have an urgent question. (And write down who said what, and follow-up with an email.)

Otherwise email is often best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the replies!
I'll definitely send the emails then. I'd ring but I'm terrible on the phone...which is something I'll clearly have to get over on results day if I do end up in clearing..oops.
They're not really urgent questions when we have 5 and a half weeks till results day..it's mostly just requirements and accommodation.
I'm new here just have a question is it possible to apply to a uni for the same course for which you were rejected earlier?
Original post by Freakout
I'm new here just have a question is it possible to apply to a uni for the same course for which you were rejected earlier?

The result will be the same.
Original post by Freakout

I'm pretty sure you can, if you if you achieve their requirements. Clearing is different as they will want to fill up their course therefore may accept lower requirements, and have lesser demands, as they view you as an extra £27000. I really don't think they check if you had applied to them before or not, in clearing all previous circumstances/ requirements are irrelevant.
Original post by SlimShady96
I'm pretty sure you can, if you if you achieve their requirements. Clearing is different as they will want to fill up their course therefore may accept lower requirements, and have lesser demands, as they view you as an extra £27000. I really don't think they check if you had applied to them before or not, in clearing all previous circumstances/ requirements are irrelevant.

No, they have your Ucas application in front of them. They have had your results since the previous weekend and have had chance to decide if they want to take you. If they said no, they mean it.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
No, they have your Ucas application in front of them. They have had your results since the previous weekend and have had chance to decide if they want to take you. If they said no, they mean it.
What are you talking about? Why would they have your results if they aren't your firm/insurance choice and they rejected you in the first place?
(edited 7 years ago)
What are you talking about? Why would they have your results if they aren't your firm/insurance choice and they rejected you in the first place?

All your choices get your results.

If you're in clearing or adjustment all universities in UCAS can see your results.

They'll clearly see that you were originally rejected. Unless the reason for rejection was "predicted grades too low" and you exceed your predictions then the original reason for rejection is going to still apply.

i thought you meant firm or insurance originally, but the point is still that a university in Clearing has access to the Ucas form and results and can see where you have applied. They can see you have applied already and been rejected.
1) The idea that all Unis instantly drop their required grades in Clearing, and will suddenly take anyone who is upright and breathing, is an urban myth. The majority of Unis will still want their original required grades, any others might drop one grade. You will hear all sorts of silly stories - 'my cousin's goldfish got into Oxford with DDD' etc - that's all they are, stories.

2) If you have originally applied to any Uni and been rejected, regardless of your achieved grades, no means no. Either your overall academic profile was below requirements and/or your PS was below requirements. Either way, you are NOT going to be reconsidered at this stage. You can reapply next year (if you now meet the grades) with a new PS - no problem - but this year, No. So DO NOT waste everyone's time and patience by phoning them this August.

3) If you have taken standard UK qualifications like A level, IB and BTEC, and you originally applied to a specific Uni , that Uni will be able to see your when they are published by the exam boards, or if you put yourself in Clearing, any Uni can see your results once known.

4) 'Begging' in August is pointless. We get fed up with applicants telling us they were 1 mark off an A or whatever. You didn't get an A. That was what we asked for. You didn't get it. You may be the Special Snowflake at your school/in your family. We dont care about your fragile wonderfulness. We made the decision on your application 3 days before 28 Aug. We meant it. Go away.

5) Suddenly coming up with 'extenuating circumstances' that explain rubbish results in August is also pointless. We are not interested at that stage. If it was that serious and/or mitigating you would have told us months ago. We aren't interested in you. No means No. Go away.

6) University call centres have very limited patience on Results Day. Time wasters will be dealt with very firmly and bluntly. For all the reasons above, think very carefully before you call !
In addition to point 1 above. Subject grades MATTER. If you're 2 grades down in a subject that isn't relevant then you're a better prospect than someone who is 1 grade down in the subject they're enquiring about.

So if you tanked biology A level (but got your grades in your other subjects) then that's less of an issue if you're applying to Law than if you're applying to Biology or Psychology in clearing.
guys whats the best thing to do now if you think you might be in clearing?
I asked UEA and they said

Leaving it until results day to ask to change course is very risky as there may not be any places available. However, you can make the enquiry at results time but we, at this stage, cannot give any guarantees. If you do join us you can request an internal transfer but you must be mindful that you will be asking to change Faculties as well as courses. An internal transfer cannot be guaranteed. Students can make an internal transfer request at any time but there is no guarantee it will be approved.If I want to chnage my course now(feel like im moving towards this as I just dont feel interested in psychology as much (and i drew up a list of pros and cons for each and english lit tops it) would I be going through clearing automatically or would i be going through ucas extra?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending