The Student Room Group

The Prime Minister is running scared of a general election - PETITION!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Jammy Duel
BEcause of course what the country needs right now is a massive dose of uncertainty! Okay, not so uncertainty, but elections never bode well for the economy compared to not having one, and there isn't really much of a basis for having another election so soon, it's only been 14 months and half of the last 10 PMs were not directly elected by the masses before taking office, May's mandate is the 11, 334,576 people that voted Conservative last May.

PMs have never been directly elected.
Is this a joke?

The Tories would be the single largest beneficiaries of a general election now...
Original post by BaronK
PMs have never been directly elected.

That's kinda the point, but I mean directly elected in the sense that they either did not win a general election to take power (or held one shortly after entering no. 10)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Went up 2,000 over night.

Could easily get the 100,000
I want rid of this Tory government but a snap general election will not do this. If anything, the Tory majority could increase. Apparently half the Prime Ministers over the last century took office mid-term, and David Cameron had indicated that he would hand over at some point.
Reply 45
GLWTP

I can just see the debate now...

"Approx 0.2% of 'the people' have asked that we debate whether to put our jobs in jeopardy by having a GE. All those in favour say aye"

"Hello? "Anyone?"

Next
Original post by Rakas21
Unless you live in Maidenhead then you won't be electing our leader.

Exactly.
Although economic stability I'd important, I believe a General Election should be called as the referendum really has thrown a spanner into the works of UK politics.
The Conservative majority in the Commons at the moment is rather small & with Labour in absolute chaos it'd certainly be a good time to call a GE from a Tory POV. It'd also show all those borderline idiotic Momentum supporters that the majority of the country does not support Jeremy Corbyn & his outdated brand of policies.

However, I'm sure that if the Conservatives got an even bigger majority than they have currently then the same Momentum muppets would demand a re-run of the election immediately.
Original post by Tempest II
Although economic stability I'd important, I believe a General Election should be called as the referendum really has thrown a spanner into the works of UK politics.
The Conservative majority in the Commons at the moment is rather small & with Labour in absolute chaos it'd certainly be a good time to call a GE from a Tory POV. It'd also show all those borderline idiotic Momentum supporters that the majority of the country does not support Jeremy Corbyn & his outdated brand of policies.

However, I'm sure that if the Conservatives got an even bigger majority than they have currently then the same Momentum muppets would demand a re-run of the election immediately.

The government should call Labour's bluff. If labour are able to put forward the instruments for a vote on an early election May should say 'if you want an election put forwards the instruments and we'll back it'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Remember to email your local MP with the reasons why you want a general election - dont just sign the petition - fill up their mail bags with REMAIN mail.
Original post by Pulse.
Calling a GE would give the Conservatives a greater majority and even greater legitimacy. I would be for it but we have just had a referendum and need to set about making ground in terms of economic growth and political stability.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This. I loathe May and the Tory party but another election would throw everything into chaos.
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
This. I loathe May and the Tory party but another election would throw everything into chaos.

Chaos is actually loads better than a definite OUT. Chaos means "all to play for".
Chaos is what happens at the moment one team breaks down and another takes over. We will need this chaos eventually, either now or later. The Chaos could create whole new political parties
Original post by FredOrJohn
Chaos is actually loads better than a definite OUT. Chaos means "all to play for".
Chaos is what happens at the moment one team breaks down and another takes over. We will need this chaos eventually, either now or later. The Chaos could create whole new political parties

Except it's a definite out either way

Posted from TSR Mobile
Except it's a definite out either way

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL - Well obviously not so... For example in a chaotic world where the LibDems once again held enough seats to be "power brokers" no clause 50 would be ignited.

So, clearly you're talking piffle.
The title is very misleading. "Running scared" of what exactly? If a GE was announced tomorrow nobody would benefit other than the Conservative party.

Labour are a complete joke at the moment and they're in no position to be competitive. They'd be absolutely decimated in a GE, particularly by UKIP in the North. A Government needs credible opposition to function properly and right now, the only credible opposition is the SNP. A GE would not help with this, it would only make things worse.

Original post by Tempest II
It'd also show all those borderline idiotic Momentum supporters that the majority of the country does not support Jeremy Corbyn & his outdated brand of policies..

They're hilarious aren't they? A few of them pop up on my FB on a daily basis, they're in a complete bubble and believe that only their opinion matters.
But I'd vote Corbyn - ANYONE at all who would keep us in the EU.
Its far easier to get rid of a party you don't like then it will be to reverse BREXIT:

So vote Corbyn if that is what it takes - who cares?
ANYONE AT ALL
JUST ANY ONE!

You do realise Corbyn has been openly Eurosceptic longer than anyone who's posted in this thread has been alive, right?
Original post by sr90
The title is very misleading. "Running scared" of what exactly? If a GE was announced tomorrow nobody would benefit other than the Conservative party.

Labour are a complete joke at the moment and they're in no position to be competitive. They'd be absolutely decimated in a GE, particularly by UKIP in the North. A Government needs credible opposition to function properly and right now, the only credible opposition is the SNP. A GE would not help with this, it would only make things worse.

They're hilarious aren't they? A few of them pop up on my FB on a daily basis, they're in a complete bubble and believe that only their opinion matters.

You do realise Corbyn has been openly Eurosceptic longer than anyone who's posted in this thread has been alive, right?

If you look at the petition map via constituencies loads of Tory seats could be lost to Lib Dem pro-REMAIN. In such an outcome, its very possible that REMAIN would be able to stop Clause 50.

Its not rocket science. If either Labour or Tory won, it would not matter, what would matter is how many seats the Lib Dems could win. I'll warrant it will be enough.
21,651st signature
Reply 57
Original post by sr90
The title is very misleading. "Running scared" of what exactly?

The title is a direct quote from Theresa May to Gordon Brown in 2007.
LOL - Well obviously not so... For example in a chaotic world where the LibDems once again held enough seats to be "power brokers" no clause 50 would be ignited.

So, clearly you're talking piffle.

Or alternatively I live in reality, unlike you. The lib dems are not making gains, and the labour civil war will collapse their vote share, the tories would have triple figure majority in all likelihood and ukip would be establishing a northern foothold

Posted from TSR Mobile
Or alternatively I live in reality, unlike you. The lib dems are not making gains, and the labour civil war will collapse their vote share, the tories would have triple figure majority in all likelihood and ukip would be establishing a northern foothold

Posted from TSR Mobile

pigs fly - one minute you say "chaos" the next minute you say "walkover"....
You obviously do not know what is going on down here in London. Could be a 100% loss of all Conservative seats in London and in the South (especially surrey and berks - old Conservative holds).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending