The Student Room Group

Put your projects, code onto GitHub and you'll get employers interested

I've just recently put a portfolio of projects completed on my GitHub account and I'm being emailed a few interview offers: front end developer, back end developer from recruiters.

Develop a portfolio of projects and show these projects onto a GitHub account and show a live link on your CV and I'm sure employers will be interested, these could be apps, websites, a mini video game, a class, anything.

Also contributing on open source projects is a good way of gaining experience.
Reply 1
Thanks for sharing Final Fantasy!Today I've just received another interest from an recruiter seeking a PHP developer and they are impressed with my projects that I have on GitHub.
Reply 2
Is it free to use?

As there are payment plans......... :-/

Can you also upload as many projects as you want using one account for free?
Reply 3
Original post by mrITguy
Is it free to use?

As there are payment plans......... :-/

Can you also upload as many projects as you want using one account for free?

It is free to use and you can upload as many projects as you want.
How did employers see your Github? I know it was on your CV, but do they see this too?
Reply 5
Original post by Analyst89
I've just recently put a portfolio of projects completed on my GitHub account and I'm being emailed a few interview offers: front end developer, back end developer from recruiters.

Develop a portfolio of projects and show these projects onto a GitHub account and show a live link on your CV and I'm sure employers will be interested, these could be apps, websites, a mini video game, a class, anything.

Also contributing on open source projects is a good way of gaining experience.

Hey, what kind of projects did you lot do? :tongue:
Reply 6
The projects I have done are variety of apps (be creative, you can always learn how to develop an app and then think of an app to develop), databases, websites, classes such as tennis match class, player class, main class, inventory management in Java, etc. Just think of something to develop. 1/2 solid working 2D/3D video game are better than 35 average projects in my experience, this could be a mini racing or shooter game.

Passion, a keen interesting in programming and development along with a projects on GitHub will seal the deal. 8 out of 10 programming, developer jobs don't require a degree. If you are doing a degree, I would strongly develop a portfolio of projects as you go along the course and as Final Fantasy stated, learn Node.js, Angular.js, databases, NoSQL, proficiency in Linux and you will be a very strong candidate. Moreover you will be headhunted for jobs from Reed, Monster without even applying! (Just register on Reed). Yes employers see this on your CV and I'm sure they will click on the link.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Is the no degree requirment soley for programming and developer roles or jobs in IT in general?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending