The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

idk about last year but this year it definitely counts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 123chem
Getting 5/8 is actually really good, if only two days in.

Really? I didn't think it was but then tbh I don't know too much about it. Like do you have to attempt every question or do suuuupwr well to get 700+? I don't understand how the scoring works
Original post by isabella1999
Really? I didn't think it was but then tbh I don't know too much about it. Like do you have to attempt every question or do suuuupwr well to get 700+? I don't understand how the scoring works

idk how scoring works either, but pretty sure you dont need as high as you would think to get the high marks (above 700)
Guys, when ideally should I start planning and drafting my personal statement? I was thinking about now would be good but most of my work experience is still yet to come (Mid August time). Should I wait until then or just leave gaps and come back to them later?
Hi, just wondering if anyone has any tips on how they're revising. I have the 1000Q books, and generally getting 70% right - but when I go to the practice questions on the UKCAT website I drop to about 60% which is slightly worrying. I was thinking of buying a Medify subscription; however, KAPLAN is far too expensive.

Thanks.
Hello,
Just wondering what's the best way to revise for the UKCAT and if anyone who has previously taken the UKCAT could offer me any tips/tricks. I currently have the 1000Q book, however I'm only scoring about 70% on the questions. Really considering buying a Medify subscription, however, if it's not worth it - then I'd rather save the money.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Medify is worth it, would recommend

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 527
medify is worth it. But you don't need a long subscription in my opinion. Its better to plough through the questions quickly
Does anyone know exactly how many VR questions are statement type and how many are True False Can't tell type?
PLZ HELP
Reply 529
One of my friends went to the kaplan one and said that it was very good. I've booked myself for the MedPortal one cause it's associated with the RSM and I heard they were alright as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 530
Question for those who have done their ukcat this year: is the marker given to you during the test is erasable? And how big is the whiteboard? A4 or bigger?
Thanks!!
Hey I'm an Italian student and I'm going to apply for medicine in Scotland and probably in the UK as well; I'm taking the UKCAT towards the end of September, although I still have to book it. I've only been practising for a few days using the UKCAT practice tests but it's been a horrible experience so far! I still have to improve and practise obviously, I bought the 1000Q book yesterday and I may be getting Medify one week before the actual exam, but I'm still very lost for the moment..
The timing makes everything incredibly difficult, but in my opinion the most difficult part is QR :frown: Is it only me or do you also have problems with that part?
Or if you don't, do you have some kind of strategy to solve the questions?
Thank you :/
Original post by aurora.di.nicola
Hey I'm an Italian student and I'm going to apply for medicine in Scotland and probably in the UK as well; I'm taking the UKCAT towards the end of September, although I still have to book it. I've only been practising for a few days using the UKCAT practice tests but it's been a horrible experience so far! I still have to improve and practise obviously, I bought the 1000Q book yesterday and I may be getting Medify one week before the actual exam, but I'm still very lost for the moment..
The timing makes everything incredibly difficult, but in my opinion the most difficult part is QR :frown: Is it only me or do you also have problems with that part?
Or if you don't, do you have some kind of strategy to solve the questions?
Thank you :/

With the timing, just remember that it is better to answer 80% of the questions well rather than 100% of the questions poorly :smile:

It will get somewhat better with practice, so don't worry too much about it :smile:
is three weeks before the exam enough time to get a good grade?
Original post by Gogregg
With the timing, just remember that it is better to answer 80% of the questions well rather than 100% of the questions poorly :smile:

It will get somewhat better with practice, so don't worry too much about it :smile:

Thank you for replying! I really hope so cause I'm very desperate right now, I didn't think this would be so difficult honestly :frown:
What's more, I think your Maths programme is probably different from mine, that's why I'm kind of disorientated whenever I try the QR. Do you know any good resources you think could be useful? :smile:
Original post by 123chem
idk how scoring works either, but pretty sure you dont need as high as you would think to get the high marks (above 700)

Hopefully 👍🏼 for now I'm going to keep practicing from the 1000Q until I improve loads (I can hope) and hopefully the actually exam will be easier
Original post by studentsixth
Guys, when ideally should I start planning and drafting my personal statement? I was thinking about now would be good but most of my work experience is still yet to come (Mid August time). Should I wait until then or just leave gaps and come back to them later?

You'll probably end up re-writing your PS again and again, so you might as well start brainstorming for ideas. You can write about your medicine-related interests, extracurriculars, and why you want to study medicine etc etc already. :smile: I'd say you don't even have to write a "whole" PS with gaps: just write blocks of text about the topics you can write about and then start combining them to a unified text when you have done your work experience.
Original post by Lilly1234567890
is three weeks before the exam enough time to get a good grade?

Different people will have differing opinions but I'd say it should be just about enough, yes.
i hear it can differ from center to center. for me i had multiple a4 laminated sheets to write on that i could not erase (but there were plenty of sheets there)
Original post by StationToStation
You'll probably end up re-writing your PS again and again, so you might as well start brainstorming for ideas. You can write about your medicine-related interests, extracurriculars, and why you want to study medicine etc etc already. :smile: I'd say you don't even have to write a "whole" PS with gaps: just write blocks of text about the topics you can write about and then start combining them to a unified text when you have done your work experience.

Ahh, thank you so much! I think I'll do just that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending