The Student Room Group

How important is Halls accommodation when choosing a university?

Hi

I'm torn between two universities - Keele and Bangor - and the deciding factor may end up being the accommodation.

How important is accommodation when choosing where to study? Bangor's Halls far exceeded my expectations and Keele's (apart from the premier en-suite rooms) was dire. Plus I don't think I could share a kitchen between 24 people, and there didn't seem to be anywhere to sit and eat at Keele.

Help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ambz27
Hi

I'm torn between two universities - Keele and Bangor - and the deciding factor may end up being the accommodation.

How important is accommodation when choosing where to study? Bangor's Halls far exceeded my expectations and Keele's (apart from the premier en-suite rooms) was dire. Plus I don't think I could share a kitchen between 24 people, and there didn't seem to be anywhere to sit and eat at Keele.

Help!

Depends on the individual and what they're happy with for accommodation, from what you've said here though, it sounds like you've already made your mind up.
I'd say it's very important in the sense that you're going to have to spend at least one year of your life there. It can be hard to keep yourself self-motivated throughout the year if you're not used to so much independence already, and if you're waking up in a place that is really depressing, it'll only make it worse and could negatively affect your ability to do well in the year.

If literally everything else is pretty much equal for you, I'd say definitely go for the one with the better accommodation.
Reply 3
Original post by moonkatt
Depends on the individual and what they're happy with for accommodation, from what you've said here though, it sounds like you've already made your mind up.

If Keele had Bangor's accommodation I would definitely go there as I loved the whole campus feel and could definitely see myself studying there, I'm just not sure how important the rooms are to the overall decision
Reply 4
Original post by wickedisgood
I'd say it's very important in the sense that you're going to have to spend at least one year of your life there. It can be hard to keep yourself self-motivated throughout the year if you're not used to so much independence already, and if you're waking up in a place that is really depressing, it'll only make it worse and could negatively affect your ability to do well in the year.

If literally everything else is pretty much equal for you, I'd say definitely go for the one with the better accommodation.

thanks! :smile:
Original post by Ambz27
If Keele had Bangor's accommodation I would definitely go there as I loved the whole campus feel and could definitely see myself studying there, I'm just not sure how important the rooms are to the overall decision

Like post #3, you've got to live there, if you're not going to be happy in the accommodation it may have an impact on everything else. Like I said, people place different priorities on things, I'm sure some people would live in a cardboard box if it meant to be studying the course they wanted to at a specific uni, others want a really high standard of accommodation. If the halls at Keele will make you feel miserable, will it affect your overall enjoyment (and potentially performance on your course)?
Reply 6
make your decision based on the quality of the facilities available on campus and not just the halls themselves
I wouldn't want to study somewhere where I wasn't happy with everything. Ok, maybe the odd thing I could put up with. But sharing a kitchen with 24 people? Nah, 5 other people was bad enough.
Reply 8
if catered halls is a option then go with that so you don't have to share a kitchen with anyone...
Reply 9
Original post by fefssdf
if catered halls is a option then go with that so you don't have to share a kitchen with anyone...

Good call - thanks!
Very important for me. Ensuite or nah.Catered halls are a plus for me. I doubt I would have a lot of spare time to cook.
Original post by loveleest
Very important for me. Ensuite or nah.Catered halls are a plus for me. I doubt I would have a lot of spare time to cook.

You don't need a lot of spare time to cook.
Reply 12
I chose Hull so I could commute because I can't afford Halls anywhere really

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tiger Rag
You don't need a lot of spare time to cook.

It depends.
Reply 14
It depends.

What are you cooking? Gourmet dishes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by fefssdf

It also restricts you to only eating when the uni catering facilities are actually open.
Original post by Andy98
What are you cooking? Gourmet dishes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It can take up to an hour to cook. Some dishes from certain countries take longer to cook. Got it?
Yeah I've got to say on the catered front, I've been to uni with catered halls and I've been to one without and would never go catered again.*
It's really restricting if you do clubs etc or aren't around campus at lunch time. (To be fair though we didn't have a kitchen as we were catered, only a microwave and a toaster so may be better if you get a kitchen too...) also depends if it's pay as you go or a flat cost!

Re halls, don't forget that you're only there for a year. If you prefer Keele as a uni but hate the halls maybe it's worth paying extra for the nicer room (if you can) then looking for a nice house with your friends for second year - would also give you something to look forward to!!
Reply 18
It can take up to an hour to cook. Some dishes from certain countries take longer to cook. Got it?

Batch cook and freeze.
Reply 19

Get a slow cooker, you can leave it cooking then

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply