The Student Room Group

First Week of University

Hi :smile:

I start university in September studying English language and literature and I was just wondering how important the first week of uni is? I've had a holiday booked long before I decided to go uni and it works out that I miss the first 2 days.

I can't change the fact I'm missing those 2 days but if what I'm missing is important, is the process to email my tutors? I'm slightly worried now!
Original post by J35501

I start university in September studying English language and literature and I was just wondering how important the first week of uni is? I've had a holiday booked long before I decided to go uni and it works out that I miss the first 2 days.

I can't change the fact I'm missing those 2 days but if what I'm missing is important, is the process to email my tutors? I'm slightly worried now!

That probably wasn't the best thing to do :wink: But do you know if your actual term starts then or is that when Freshers begins?
Reply 2
Original post by J35501

From my experience, the first few days aren't super important. I was so hungover I slept through my induction lecture.*

It really does depend what is planned for those first few days though. If it's enrolment and student card collection then that will be something you would have to reorganise.*
do you mean freshers week or 2 days of term?

I wouldn't recommend missing 2 days of either, loads of freshers week is taken up with registration, being shown the facilities and finding your feet.
Once term starts, they don't have the time to help freshers, they have the whole of the uni to deal with. That's why freshers exist. It's partly for you as a new student to find your feet, but also that all the staff can pay attention to the new students.

as for missing a couple of days in term time. imho not a good idea as it will take a week to catch up.
Reply 4
Original post by PugDevil
That probably wasn't the best thing to do :wink: But do you know if your actual term starts then or is that when Freshers begins?

I'm not really sure :frown: I haven't received my timetable yet, I've just gone with the date from the university's website when I picked my course. Could that be freshers week?
Reply 5
Original post by Shawman
From my experience, the first few days aren't super important. I was so hungover I slept through my induction lecture.*

It really does depend what is planned for those first few days though. If it's enrolment and student card collection then that will be something you would have to reorganise.*

Do you get an idea of what's going to be planned for them before the start date? I haven't received a timetable yet so I'm hoping I might not actually have anything on those 2 days.
Reply 6
Original post by domonict
do you mean freshers week or 2 days of term?

I wouldn't recommend missing 2 days of either, loads of freshers week is taken up with registration, being shown the facilities and finding your feet.
Once term starts, they don't have the time to help freshers, they have the whole of the uni to deal with. That's why freshers exist. It's partly for you as a new student to find your feet, but also that all the staff can pay attention to the new students.

as for missing a couple of days in term time. imho not a good idea as it will take a week to catch up.

This is why I'm a bit concerned as I don't know if that start date is my actual start date or freshers :frown: I haven't received my timetable but when I picked the course it said start date of 26th September.
Reply 7
Original post by J35501
Do you get an idea of what's going to be planned for them before the start date? I haven't received a timetable yet so I'm hoping I might not actually have anything on those 2 days.

Sadly it's just one of those things that varies from uni to uni so I can't say for sure. You should receive some sort of timetable nearer the time I'd imagine.*
Original post by J35501

If your course starts on the 26th September then that is probably the start of it unfortunately :frown: So Freshers would be the week before? But if you're unsure then I would perhaps try and get in contact with someone at the university, or emailing them as most universities have a general enquiries email?
The first few days are usually going over module handbooks, what's expected etc. It is important, you'll be a bit lost when you go back and everyone else seems to know what they're doing and when etc. I'd email your tutors now to discuss it.
Original post by J35501
This is why I'm a bit concerned as I don't know if that start date is my actual start date or freshers :frown: I haven't received my timetable but when I picked the course it said start date of 26th September.

It's very important. Usually move in day is the only time you can collect the keys to your flat and there will be registration events that you cannot miss if you want to be fully registered at uni and receive your student finance payments.

If I were you, I'd change your holiday dates-the things you will miss aren't worth it.
First week is usually just introductory lectures registration/enrolment etc. I only got a timetable for the first week introductory lectures before I started - full timetable was given during that first week when you were shown the online system, If you delay enrolment it may affect your loan payments as this only comes through once your attendance is confirmed by the uni. Also might cause complications if you are moving into uni halls
What uni is it?
What uni is it?

They vary (Warwick afaik doesn't have one)
Original post by J35501

Some unis have freshers week (or welcome week as many like to call it now) on the first week of term, as my old uni did and some have it the week before.
At my uni we moved in either the Saturday or Sunday before the start of term. So Sunday I picked up my keys and campus card, moved my stuff in, got to know my flatmates, went out with them. Monday daytime was registration- the uni could see we had turned up and confirmed this with student finance. Tuesday I think we had an introductory 'welcome to the department lecture.' I can't remember what was said in that but as it varies by uni its irrelevant. And I missed my library induction because it clashed with something else aand it took me a while to work out where to find everything!
Original post by J35501

Who goes on holiday in September anyway?

But anyway, just echoing what others have said: I don't think you'll miss much. My flatmate missed the first few days of Freshers. He isn't the parting type, but I still think he made little-to-no friends because he wasn't there. And trust me, with the first 48 hours, friendship groups will have already formed and stuff. It's super weird, but you do wreck your chances.

2 days of the first teaching week isn't that bad. They will not bombard you with any assignments or anything like that. It will most likely be just first introduction to the course, what's expecting of you, how to login into Moodle or whatever, who to contact, etc.

It's not a big deal, but if you could get a refund on your holiday then I personally would re-book it. I've been to two different unis and did Freshers twice, and missing 2 days can determine your future friends and whatnot. But if you care not for that kind of mess, then go on your holiday and show everyone that tan of yours!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending