The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The point of ethical veganism is to reduce unnecessary suffering, we don't need to eat meat as we have other ways to get all the nutrition it provides and in fact by eating vegan can avoid many diet related diseases, therefore there is no point torturing and killing animals. Thus, vegans are morally superior.
Reply 41
Original post by Vikingninja
I eat meat because I can.

Pretty sure if a superior race came here and harvested us it wouldn't give two ****s about its right to eat us. They can go ahead, we have nukes.

I respect that you're blunt about it & don't try to come up with some bs excuse unlike most other people.
Reply 42
Original post by WoodyMKC
It's just how the food chain works. Obviously, we wouldn't just go "Yep, I get it, I'm now lower on the food chain - go ahead and eat me", it's not like any living species in the world would do that, it's natural for us to want to sustain our own lives.

Spoiler

Original post by WoodyMKC
It's just how the food chain works. Obviously, we wouldn't just go "Yep, I get it, I'm now lower on the food chain - go ahead and eat me", it's not like any living species in the world would do that, it's natural for us to want to sustain our own lives.

Humans are rational and do not need to eat meat any longer, especially not in Western societies, therefore we can rationalise what we put in our diet. Also food chain argument is irrelevant really because we are not eating what we catch and therefore contributing to a healthy ecosystem, we are breeding animals to eat which is actually detrimental to the environment.
Reply 44
I like meat, I will eat meat.
Original post by goam

Spoiler

Original post by Tigger46
Humans are rational and do not need to eat meat any longer, especially not in Western societies, therefore we can rationalise what we put in our diet. Also food chain argument is irrelevant really because we are not eating what we catch and therefore contributing to a healthy ecosystem, we are breeding animals to eat which is actually detrimental to the environment.

That wasn't an argument against vegetarianism or veganism. I was merely answering the OP's question. If I had any inkling this was just another "Veganism is the future! Meat eaters, explain yourselves!" thread I wouldn't have even bothered posting, I've read every argument on every side through the thousands of that type of thread on these forums already and I didn't really care the first time.
(edited 7 years ago)
[video="youtube;nV04zyfLyN4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV04zyfLyN4[/video]
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I've spoken with plenty of animal-eaters in my time, and one of their favourite reasons (excuses?) for doing so seems to be that we are simply superior to the animals we eat. We are the dominant species on the planet, and so it is our right to eat whatever inferior animals are under our dominion.

So what if a highly advanced, super-intelligent alien species arrives, subjugates us, and becomes the dominant species on the planet? Presumably meat-eaters should have no problems with their systematically breeding, caging, slaughtering and eating us - it would be their right as our superiors.

Any thoughts?

I've spoken to quite a few vegetarians and meat eaters alike but I must admit I've never heard this argument come up. Although I did see a variation on it in one of Peter Singer's books. Discounting the fact that at the present time aliens are purely hypothetical and there has been no solid scientific evidence of their existence thus far, I would say no. Humans show a level of intelligence and creativity that sets them apart from pretty much every other species of animal on the planet. We are unique and unmatched in our understanding and use of technology and science. No other species on the planet can produce magnificent works of art and music. No other animal can understand the concepts of religion and philosophy. I doubt animals have the incredible language diversity we have either. We are entirely unique.
Reply 48
Original post by Goaded
I like meat, I will eat meat.

So then, anything that is enjoyable is therefore justified?
Reply 49
Original post by goam
So then, anything that is enjoyable is therefore justified?

sure, why not? you'll just come up with some bs example of how I'm wrong

and guess what?

you still won't change the fact i'm going to have chicken for dinner tonight and probably tomorrow night
I don't understand why people espouse vegetarianism and veganism as natural diets when you have to take supplements to make up for what your diet is lacking. If you have to take supplements for something, your diet is inadequate by default. I'm not saying that veganism isn't better for the planet or for animal welfare, but the human body just isn't designed for it
Original post by goam
Wow what an intelligent response!! You must be so smart.

He is Mohammed (PBUH) himself, of course he is intelligent

Before anyone beheads me, it was just a joke, his username is "Mohammed Himself"
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by Goaded
sure, why not? you'll just come up with some bs example of how I'm wrong

and guess what?

you still won't change the fact i'm going to have chicken for dinner tonight and probably tomorrow night

What's wrong? Can't handle someone critiquing you? And I love how you say that you're gonna have chicken as if it's gonna make me angry, my family will probably be having it for dinner too.
Reply 53
Original post by goam
What's wrong? Can't handle someone critiquing you? And I love how you say that you're gonna have chicken as if it's gonna make me angry, my family will probably be having it for dinner too.

Critique all you like, doesn't bother me lol

Not to make you angry, just because I can, just like I can and will eat meat :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by Goaded
Critique all you like, doesn't bother me lol

Not to make you angry, just because I can, just like I can and will eat meat :smile:

Sure, enjoy it :h:
Reply 55
Original post by goam
Sure, enjoy it :h:

Oh I do:h:
Reply 56
I just ate chicken and I ****ing loved it.

Fish tonight as well, yum yum!
Whenever I see wildcows, i feel bad for eating meat.

However, me going vegan still won't change anything for them...
Reply 58
This just isn't true, do some more research. The only vitamin that a vegan diet can't provide is B12. Animal products contain B12 but only because supplements have been given to the animals so you may as well just take the supplements yourself.

The National Health Service and the American Dietetic Association, both health authorities, state that vegan diets are nutritionally adequate and healthy.

" A growing body of research also suggests that a vegan diet appears to be useful for increasing the intake of protective nutrients and phytochemicals and for minimizing the intake of dietary factors implicated in several chronic diseases. Vegans also have lower serum cholesterol and blood pressure, have reduced rates ofcardiovascular disease and a substantially lower risk of cancer. If eating animals is necessary, it is curious indeed that we gain quite so many benefits when we stop doing it."
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by goam
This just isn't true, do some more research. The only vitamin that a vegan diet can't provide is B12. Animal products contain B12 but only because supplements have been given to the animals so you may as well just take the supplements yourself.

The National Health Service and the American Dietetic Association, both health authorities, state that vegan diets are nutritionally adequate and healthy.

" A growing body of research also suggests that a vegan diet appears to be useful for increasing the intake of protective nutrients and phytochemicals and for minimizing the intake of dietary factors implicated in several chronic diseases. Vegans also have lower serum cholesterol and blood pressure, have reduced rates ofcardiovascular disease and a substantially lower risk of cancer. If eating animals is necessary, it is curious indeed that we gain quite so many benefits when we stop doing it."

I suggest you do more research of your own, articles abound on PubMed about how vegetarians and vegans are lacking in a variety of different things including calcium, iron, zinc, various B vitamins, omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and important nutrients such as carnosine. The anti-nutrients in plants (such as phytic acid) work to inhibit absorption vital micro nutrients in humans thus leading to overall lower levels of these important nutrients in the body. All health problems currently associated with meat could probably be circumvented by eating grass fed and having a regular regime of exercise.

Latest