UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Screen Shot 2016-07-11 at 15.05.28.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-11 at 15.05.37.png

For who have been asking.
Reply 545
Ok thanks!
Hi,
i went to the doctortobe course last year. was really helpful and less than half the price of any other course. I was a bit worried at first becuase it was so cheap but the tutors explained they are doctors and doing it the love of teaching rather than money. would definietly recommend. only problem is they arent very big so dont have many dates and times avaialable.
Original post by KevinClyde
Hi, just wondering if anyone has any tips on how they're revising. I have the 1000Q books, and generally getting 70% right - but when I go to the practice questions on the UKCAT website I drop to about 60% which is slightly worrying. I was thinking of buying a Medify subscription; however, KAPLAN is far too expensive.

Thanks.

Well, for all it's worth you are doing very well. It might seem strange that you score better with the ISC 1000Q book than the UKCAT website because the 1000Q book is slightly harder. So, the difference is perhaps attributable to the fact that, like most of us, when switching to computer format, you start to think differently. That is why it is good you use a book/online combo because that way with the book you can perfect your approach and with the online you can practice at faster speed.
Original post by UKCATrocks
Well, for all it's worth you are doing very well. It might seem strange that you score better with the ISC 1000Q book than the UKCAT website because the 1000Q book is slightly harder. So, the difference is perhaps attributable to the fact that, like most of us, when switching to computer format, you start to think differently. That is why it is good you use a book/online combo because that way with the book you can perfect your approach and with the online you can practice at faster speed.

I'm going on the kaplan course tomz and im so worried. They sent this mini test to see 'where we are at' and i did it and althoguh i have been getting averages of 660 in my practing so far. I couldnt do the maths at all and got like 450 :frown: i got 630 verbal reasoong and 670 Ar and band 2 SJ, so embarsing turning up the the course tomz with 450 QR, how embarssing. I struggle SO SO SO much at it. I cannot think that quick
Original post by clairebear101
I'm going on the kaplan course tomz and im so worried. They sent this mini test to see 'where we are at' and i did it and althoguh i have been getting averages of 660 in my practing so far. I couldnt do the maths at all and got like 450 :frown: i got 630 verbal reasoong and 670 Ar and band 2 SJ, so embarsing turning up the the course tomz with 450 QR, how embarssing. I struggle SO SO SO much at it. I cannot think that quick

Well, looks like you are doing well in the others. Let us know what the Kaplan course is like. Good luck
Hey guys
So for the QR section, Ive noticed that in Medify, you can type the numbers using the keyboard and use the four operations too. Also, you can press enter for the answer.
However, the official practice questions do not have the same features. (Pearson website) You can type the numbers, and three operations (no subtraction using keyboard) However, you cant use enter.

Moreover, in Medify, the calculator comes next to the questions as a pop-up. But on the pearson tests, they open up as a separate tab.

I know this may seem like a minute difference, but for me it is the diff between 630 and a 700 tbh as it saves truckloads of time

So what is the situation in the real test?

Thanks
Reply 551
Regarding the Decision making section, as it does not count, could I sit there and answer absolutely nothing without it effecting my score?
Reply 552
So I just sat my UKCAT
SJ, QR & VR were not too bad. AR however was a different story. I did quite well in AR on all my mocks but that today was just a bizarre set of random shapes I could make no sense of at all. So anyway these were my scores:
VR 700
QR 740
AR 600 😫
SJ Band 1

So average (I'm not sure if that's how they work out the final score??) is 680.

I was aiming for 700 as I'm applying for grad entry. So I'm not sure how much of a chance this gives me. Any ideas would be gratefully received 😓

And for DM, it makes no difference to your score, so it's up to you how you wanna spend that extra 30mins.
Original post by dakshsaksena
Hey guys
So for the QR section, Ive noticed that in Medify, you can type the numbers using the keyboard and use the four operations too. Also, you can press enter for the answer.
However, the official practice questions do not have the same features. (Pearson website) You can type the numbers, and three operations (no subtraction using keyboard) However, you cant use enter.

Moreover, in Medify, the calculator comes next to the questions as a pop-up. But on the pearson tests, they open up as a separate tab.

I know this may seem like a minute difference, but for me it is the diff between 630 and a 700 tbh as it saves truckloads of time

So what is the situation in the real test?

Thanks

On the actual test it comes up as a pop up next to the question and when you click next question, it disappears
Original post by LAT2491
So I just sat my UKCAT
SJ, QR & VR were not too bad. AR however was a different story. I did quite well in AR on all my mocks but that today was just a bizarre set of random shapes I could make no sense of at all. So anyway these were my scores:
VR 700
QR 740
AR 600 😫
SJ Band 1

I was aiming for 700 as I'm applying for grad entry. So I'm not sure how much of a chance this gives me. Any ideas would be gratefully received 😓

And for DM, it makes no difference to your score, so it's up to you how you wanna spend that extra 30mins.

Unfortunately I think you'll be a little hard-pushed to earn interviews for GEM courses if cutoffs are similar to past years. You might have a chance at Warwick though!

It's pretty early in the UKCAT cycle to tell what the mean scores will be this year, but taking the GAMSAT (if you have time) would widen your options.
Guys I'm really worried, I was meant to have my UKCAT on August 13th however cancelled it and may book towards end or September. I've been using Kaplan book but feel I am not getting the patterns bit at all. Just feel like there is more chance of me landing on the moon by the weekend then there is of me scoring an average on the UKCAT, feel out of my depth. Does anyone else feel the same ?
Original post by LAT2491
So I just sat my UKCAT
VR 700
QR 740
AR 600 😫
SJ Band 1

Hey

How did you find the Maths, is it more GCSE Foundation Maths and also what universities are you applying for ?

I cancelled my UKCAT for next month to book at a later date just feel like I'm not doing well at all at the mo with my practice kaplan book :frown:
Original post by Hilal1999
Hi,
i went to the doctortobe course last year. was really helpful and less than half the price of any other course. I was a bit worried at first becuase it was so cheap but the tutors explained they are doctors and doing it the love of teaching rather than money. would definietly recommend. only problem is they arent very big so dont have many dates and times avaialable.

Hi there,

Just checked out doctortobe and they seem reasonable priced. Did this help you with your UKCAT ?
Original post by MedicineMaybe
Im going on the Doctortobe course which is only £65 so hope that makes a difference.

Oh that is strange. Looking at your posting history you said you went last year and it was so wonderful. So clearly you are the guy who runs it. Is that really ethical for a doctor to be?
hey i was just wondering when you do the free practise ukcat tests ( provided by ukcat) once youve done the test does it provide you with an overall score at the end? I dont want to go through 2 hours if it won't give me an indication of how I will do on the day... Thanks. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest