The Student Room Group

Embarrassing losses in Footballing History

In the aftermath of Celtic losing 1-0 to Lincoln Red Imps, which has been called one of the worst, if not the worst loss in their history, what would you rank as embarrassing losses in the history of football itself?

I'm going to take away everyone's fun and say England losing 2-1 against Iceland was up there with plenty of :nah: moments.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Manchester Utd losing to York City 3-0 in the Coca Cola Cup in 1995.
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
Manchester Utd losing to York City 3-0 in the Coca Cola Cup in 1995.

Double up on that with the 4-0 loss against MK Dons quite recently :rolleyes: I believe it was in the Capital One Cup?
France 0-1 Senegal, opening game of the 2002 World Cup. France were World & European champions.

Aston Villa 3-4 Bradford City over two legs, 2013. Bradford were two divisions lower.
Brazil 1-7 Germany, not a shock that Germany won obviously but definitely an embarrassment for Brazil considering the occasion and scoreline.
As bad as it is to lose like Celtic did I do think the size of defeat does make things more embarrassing, like the Germany 7-1 as Wilf says, Arsenal's 8-2 loss, or whatever it was, against Man U, or Bayern ripping apart Barcelona in the Champions League semi-finals a few years ago.
Obviously, USA (all semi-professionals) 1 England 0 in the 1950 World Cup finals group stage - the biggest shock of all time.
(edited 7 years ago)
USA woman's team being thrashed by an Under 15's team and then demanding equal pay as the mens side.
Reply 8
Original post by Wilfred Little
Brazil 1-7 Germany, not a shock that Germany won obviously but definitely an embarrassment for Brazil considering the occasion and scoreline.

I felt so bad for Brazil :redface:
Original post by Jimmy Seville
USA woman's team being thrashed by an Under 15's team and then demanding equal pay as the mens side.

:biggrin:

Original post by PugDevil
I felt so bad for Brazil :redface:

The fourth and fifth goals were the peak. Pretty much carbon copies of them strolling through the Brazilian team, playing a one two and just rolling the ball in.

I get what you're saying but I like seeing the top sides being humbled, they have had plenty of success. Saying that, I have always admired them and their players.
Reply 10
Original post by Wilfred Little
The fourth and fifth goals were the peak. Pretty much carbon copies of them strolling through the Brazilian team, playing a one two and just rolling the ball in.

I get what you're saying but I like seeing the top sides being humbled, they have had plenty of success. Saying that, I have always admired them and their players.

Yeah I was in and out of the room sometimes and I remember hearing my dad shout "they've scored another", two seconds later "and another!" :lol:

It's like Ronaldo, it was sad to see him get injured like that but then it was nice to see Portugal win without him winning it for them (Although considering how much he was in the limelight afterwards, it wouldn't be hard to think that he was on the pitch) It was enjoyable to see him doing his best Fergie impression mind you :clap2:
Reply 11
England 1-2 Iceland. Remember that? Great times.
Original post by PugDevil
Double up on that with the 4-0 loss against MK Dons quite recently :rolleyes: I believe it was in the Capital One Cup?

Not denying that was an embarrassing result, but nearly all of that team knew they were about to be sold and we had a new foreign manager who totally underestimated the strength of lower league opposition in England, thinking he just had to turn up to win.

Drawing 0-0 to Cambridge with Falcao, RVP and di Maria on the pitch was arguably more embarrassing tbh. Or 0-0 against Burton Albion (then a non league side) with Pique, Rooney and Ronaldo.

If we're talking other clubs, England v Iceland is right up there tbh. Or Chelsea getting torn apart by Bradford at home.
Reply 13
The FA Cup trophy.

Some time in the 60s I think.

Edit,OH .It was 120 years ago. Must be thinking of something else.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
The World Cup trophy.
Reply 15
Original post by Good bloke
Obviously, USA (all semi-professionals) 1 England 0 in the 1950 World Cup finals group stage - the biggest shock of all time.

Although that was one of the biggest shocks of all time, if not the biggest ,I do think that the fact that England had all the chances -about 27 I think-and the USA were lucky and everyone will have known that, mitigates it to some extent.

Brazil 1 Germany 7 has to be the most embarrassing in terms of the occasion and the sheer number of people who would have been acutely embarrassed.**** me half the stadium were in tears or in shock,lol.

Let's put it this way,you wouldn't have wanted to be a married woman or a cat in Brazil that night.*

**** even I was embarrassed.:frown:

*or any night come to think of it
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Gosh!
Heres an interesting fact about the USA game that I certainly didn't know;

The game wasn't widely reported in many English newspapers-at least not at the earliest opportunity;because England had suffered another sporting embarrassment the day before and that was deemed more important(and er apparently many papers had only one page of sport!?),or at least it took precedence for some reason.

So what was the other bad result? Obviously it was another sport. It was the first time England had lost to this team at this sport.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by moggis
Gosh!

Spoiler

Thoughts @Zayn is Bae?
Original post by moggis
Gosh!

Spoiler

Thoughts @Zayn is Bae?
Luton Town 1-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers, a 3rd round FA Cup fixture from the 12/13 season. Luton Town were a non league team then.

Quick Reply

Latest