The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

When I was little yeah, I remember my nanny would always insist on it after we'd visited and it started to feel strange around the age of 10. Fine if you're a kid but teenage kids kissing their parents on the lips just seems wrong IMO
Original post by Platopus
Everyone's family is different. Odd is only relative to a particular perspective.

True. Odd to me*
Tongues too sometimes.
Eww, no. Definitely keep the kisses to the cheek with family, leave the lips for romantic interests :blushing:
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
Tongues too sometimes.

Yeah, I like a good neck with my dad.
No no no no no
Original post by Larryisbeautiful
Victoria Beckham has posted a photo of her kissing her daughter on the lips.

Some people have supported her while others find it disgusting.

I don't understand why people think lips kissing is sexual, it's romantic

I personally don't agree with it.

I've never kissed my parents' lips. The idea of it makes me feel sick as it shows romantic love to me..

No, just no.On the forehead or cheek is fine but on the lips is a bit out of order.
Both my parents and my (female) grandparents (grandads died when I was little) kissed me on the lips until I was 8/9 - it's hardly making out with them, it's just like a peck on the cheek but slightly to one side. If a child says they don't want to or tells you to stop then you don't do it, but's not like you're abusing your kid or something.

I get more weirded out by the people that see a single photo and immediately jump to the conclusion of "How dare you be sexual with your child?????!!!!!1!!!!". It's not sexual unless you make it sexual, guys. Up until 100 or so years ago, it was perfectly common for friends to kiss each other on the lips, there's photos of male soldiers in WWI kissing each other before going into battle etc. Not romantic (although some of them might be, but obviously not all or they wouldn't have been allowed to do it) and not sexual. The whole "lips are for partners only" thing is really quite recent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's obviously not done with any sexual or incestuous intent, so what's the problem?

Personally I wouldn't kiss my parents on the lips or anywhere for that matter, and don't even feel that comfortable getting hugged by them. But each to their own.*
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I don't think parents kissing their toddlers on the lips is a bad thing tbh.

Teenagers kissing their parents on the lips however, need to get a good look at their life.

I'm 22 and I kiss my mum on the lips. I've literally never thought anything of it, and now that people are bringing it up I find it both sad and funny that people could think there's any problem with that. *
Original post by TaintedLight
the mothers of my nieces and nephews do this and I think it's their natural reaction.

Personally I would never want to see or do it 😓

Already seeing one of my nephew picking it up and "pecking" my other niece with his lips. Creepy af when the mother go awwwwwwwww 🐔

*All parties involved are less than 4 years old.

They are under 4 years old!!! How is that creepy!!!
My parents don't touch me, let alone with their mouths.
Original post by Wahrheit
I'm 22 and I kiss my mum on the lips. I've literally never thought anything of it, and now that people are bringing it up I find it both sad and funny that people could think there's any problem with that. *

Same. I just don't understand how people have the capacity to sexualise a peck on the lips between family members. Weird.
Original post by Twinpeaks
They are under 4 years old!!! How is that creepy!!!

I think i failed to mention the 3 year old nephew pecks on the lip of the 3 year old niece. This is creepy af because this is somewhat seen as an acceptable gesture for friends to greet each other.

Besides a peck is okay today, would "just" a toungue slip be ok tomorrow?

I think a nice analogy would be spanking. Some people will be like "how people have the capacity condemn a pat on the butt between family members is just weird!"
Original post by TaintedLight
I think i failed to mention the 3 year old nephew pecks on the lip of the 3 year old niece. This is creepy af because this is somewhat seen as an acceptable gesture for friends to greet each other.

Besides a peck is okay today, would "just" a toungue slip be ok tomorrow?

I think a nice analogy would be spanking. Some people will be like "how people have the capacity condemn a pat on the butt between family members is just weird!"

See, I think cultural context is important here? Because I don't see that as creepy at all. It's not sexual or romantic or anything. I get more creeped out by parents joking about their children flirting or having boy/girlfriends then I do about the idea of a platonic kiss - that seems a lot more sexual to me than just a kiss with no sexual connotations. Sometimes I kiss my friends on the cheek to greet them, in some cultures everyone kisses everyone on the cheek to greet them. And I know lots of people who kiss their friends on the lips - again, not sexually or romantically, just as a platonic gesture of affection. If your nephew is going around forcibly kissing people on the lips, you need to have a discussion about boundaries, and that some people are ok with it and some aren't. But I don't think that two toddlers kissing each other is cause for concern.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello no, I even struggle to give them a kiss on the cheek. I hate getting touchy feel you with family members; things are already awkward with most of them.

That being said, I don't find it weird when parents and small children do it, I don't know how anyone can view that as sexual. If the children are older then it's kind of weird.
Original post by ElspethC
See, I think cultural context is important here? Because I don't see that as creepy at all. It's not sexual or romantic or anything. I get more creeped out by parents joking about their children flirting or having boy/girlfriends then I do about the idea of a platonic kiss - that seems a lot more sexual to me than just a kiss with no sexual connotations. Sometimes I kiss my friends on the cheek to greet them, in some cultures everyone kisses everyone on the cheek to greet them. And I know lots of people who kiss their friends on the lips - again, not sexually or romantically, just as a platonic gesture of affection. If your nephew is going around forcibly kissing people on the lips, you need to have a discussion about boundaries, and that some people are ok with it and some aren't. But I don't think that two toddlers kissing each other is cause for concern.

Posted from TSR Mobile

@Bold: I think this is pure double standards =S

Right now the toddler kisses only that toddler like that. And both mothers are known to take selfies of them kissing their little ones every ****ing day.

So to sort of encourage "go darling kiss her" and that everyone in the room goes awwww is creepy af!

Cultural hogwash is irrelevant. If we are doing something stupid, regardless of what culture we hail from, we correct it as soon as possible.

Besides, I can bet anyone a million pounds I can lick (just a touch!) people in a platonic way.

So will I proceed? Absolutely not!
As a toddler I used to kiss my parents on the lips, I think I stopped some time in primary school, maybe when I was about 7 or 8. My mum and her brother still kiss eachother on the lips and I find it a bit uncomfortable. I do think that people who sexualise a parent kissing their child are f**king idiots though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nothing weird about it at all. I'm a teenager and I still kiss my parents on the lips occasionally. It was a lot more when I was a young kid. If you don't feel comfortable with it then that's fine, it is a personal choice.
If you look at that photo and your mind misconstrues it as something sexual then you are perverse and you are the issue.
A mother expressing her love to her child via a kiss on the lips is not obscene.
Y'all just sexually frustrated js.
No. Kiss my mum on the cheek, and stopped kissing my Dad on the cheek when I was like 7. Hug them both though.

Latest