The Student Room Group

Lying on UCAS statement question

I know it is wrong to lie about some things e.g. saying "I did Duke of Edinburgh gold...." because you could get caught out in an interview but is there anything wrong with saying something like "I arranged work experience to do this summer and..."? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It is wrong if you don't actually have a work experience placement lined up.
Original post by Trapz99
It is wrong if you don't actually have a work experience placement lined up.

But since that cant prove it, it can only improve my application right?
Reply 3
But it makes you a weaker candidate.
Original post by Camilli
But it makes you a weaker candidate.

how?
Original post by 9423562374613
how?

If the work experience is relevant to and expected for your degree course, uni admissions will often check with where you say you did your experience to make sure you did it.

If it's not expected for your degree, why are you wasting precious space on your application talking about it?

Doesnt really improve it.
Theres a risk if they invite you to interview and thats after the rvrnt is menat to have taken place then you will be asked.
Obviously if the lie is found out, then it wont reflect well.

Why do you feel the need to lie? Dont you have anything going for you?
Reply 7
how?

Because lying sacks of **** are going to be less effective as students, and less desirable to any admissions committee who figure that out.
I know it is wrong to lie about some things e.g. saying "I did Duke of Edinburgh gold...." because you could get caught out in an interview but is there anything wrong with saying something like "I arranged work experience to do this summer and..."? Thanks

Most Universities won't care if you have work exp. lined up, all they mainly care about is your academics, your understanding of the course, and your EC's (not related to course). Trust me, they won't pick someone else over you if they feel you've got no work exp. lined up.

Instead of focusing on work exp. in future, I'd write about a topic I found interesting in the media that's maybe related to your course, some work you did which inspired you to apply!

Good luck!
Reply 9
Aren't you supposed to list DoE as one of your qualification in the application form? Also doesn't your teacher (assuming you are im yr12 and go to a sixth form school/college) checks your PS?
Original post by kkboyk
Aren't you supposed to list DoE as one of your qualification in the application form? Also doesn't your teacher (assuming you are im yr12 and go to a sixth form school/college) checks your PS?

No, DofE goes in the personal statement as it is not a qualification issued by a central examination board :smile:

1, if you dont actually have work experience lined up then you are lying which I guess you could say is wrong
2, if you do lie, they won't catch you unless you have an interview / apply for medicine

Tbh you could write anything in your PS as long as it isnt outrageous / unbelievable, they dont ask for proof of any of it.

Work experience only improves an application if you then apply what you learned from the work experience to your knowledge of the course, which you won't be able to do, because you haven't done it. Doing work experience and not commenting on it in this way is valueless from an admissions tutor's point of view because it merely confirms that you weren't bright enough to learn how to use the experience effectively. All that claiming to have merely arranged a placement will do is to show the tutor that you claim to be able to make a phone call or write an email, and you haven't actually even done that.
Original post by Camilli
Because lying sacks of **** are going to be less effective as students, and less desirable to any admissions committee who figure that out.

except if you're a politics student :colone:

jk jk
Original post by Student403
except if you're a politics student :colone:

jk jk

Oh, right. Sorry.
Reply 15

Dont make it up - instead you could write about your passion and why you want to study this particular course. It is not about how good your grades or work experience or any other extra curriculum activities - Universities want to see students to keep motivated and not drop out later on in middle of degree years. Be honest. Good luck with your personal statement :smile:
Ughhhh lying on your ps is stupid !! It's unfair when people genuinely have done the work Experiance.

I've recently got into medicine and now my Aunty keeps interviewing me on every single thing so her sons can get in. I lost it when she said she's gonna say on the ps that her son did gold dofe when he has only done bronze. As someone who has done all three dofe including gold it just got to me because bronze is nothing like gold.

People shouldn't be able to get away with lies on their ps.

I may sound a bit over the top but this topic really annoys me.
Original post by lolakirk
1, if you dont actually have work experience lined up then you are lying which I guess you could say is wrong
2, if you do lie, they won't catch you unless you have an interview / apply for medicine

Tbh you could write anything in your PS as long as it isnt outrageous / unbelievable, they dont ask for proof of any of it.

just think of how many people claim to have read books for their subject *cough* and don't get round to actually doing it
Original post by fefssdf
just think of how many people claim to have read books for their subject *cough* and don't get round to actually doing it

But as in the case above, it won't have done them any good. It's relating what you have read to the subject and your application that makes it worth mentioning, and if you can't do that, it's a waste of characters. Think about it: admissions tutors are some of the most highly educated people in the country, and reading PSs and sifting out the lying and the fudging and the fabricating is their profession. It's naive to imagine that you can fool them.
A lack of work experience won't harm your application, there will be many other applicants with little/no work experience and so it's really not worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending