The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
to get money and to just get a job so your cv isn't empty...
the idea of having a job you 'love' and find 'fulfilling' is oversold... for the vast majority work is something they do to earn enough to live on, for those who enjoy their job they still have bad days/periods of time... at 17 you are not going to find a job that is exciting and fun and you really enjoy, I would stick where you are and see how it goes, if you want something more fast paced or customer focused you can try and move into that but don't assume you'll be any happier
lol no one wants a job ! people want money, and a job gives money

you cant be this stupid?
At your age you won't find a job that you enjoy. It's not that easy.

Pretty much every person who has a work history, worked at a few places they did not enjoy but did it because it = money. That's what having a job is about, getting money.

If you want a job you'll actually enjoy then you need to work towards that
How delusional. :rofl:
Original post by Fish40
Im a kid, im 17 and people are telling me to get a job. Whats the point of a job? To make money or to have fun or both? All i did today in my first day of the job at the printing shop that does designs for brochures, wedding cards, banners etc.. , all i did was get double sided tape and stick it in a line on the same place on 100 wedding cards. Then i got sticky beads and stuck 2 on the same place on 200 other cards. Its oright , but you do the same thing again and again, an empty feeling. Should i find work experience/job i like?

I'm also 17 and I currently work in a cafe. This has absolutely nothing to do with what I intend to Pursue as a future career(medicine) but it gives you useful life experience which you probably don't realise at the moment. The fact that you have a job gives you the insight of being responsible for something and building trust. You also improve communication skills and practical skills in life. All these attributes you can them apply and use in your personal statement for uni or to reflect on in your CV it can also count as an extra curricular activity which shows you have more of a life than just education which employees and admission tutors like to see (this is why I decided to get a job) also you're more likely to be employed in future jobs if you have had some experience (even though limited) of working life compared to someone the same age as you who has never had a job before and sits on the sofa on their phones all day( which is what my friends do and they're now running around like headless chickens trying to find things to put on their UCAS forms for October )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by fefssdf
to get money and to just get a job so your cv isn't empty...

Why would i want a cv

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fish40
Why would i want a cv

Posted from TSR Mobile

To get a job, of course! 🙄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by doodle_333
the idea of having a job you 'love' and find 'fulfilling' is oversold... for the vast majority work is something they do to earn enough to live on, for those who enjoy their job they still have bad days/periods of time... at 17 you are not going to find a job that is exciting and fun and you really enjoy, I would stick where you are and see how it goes, if you want something more fast paced or customer focused you can try and move into that but don't assume you'll be any happier

I love football so being a professional footballer and being competitive in a competitive league would be so cool but i probably couldn't. I want a job that i feel that it needs to be done or something I enjoy. Making wedding cards dont need to be done , you could just WhatsApp your invitees.

Is it true that boys generally like construction work more than tedious reppetive work. Because i kinda enjoy making something physical.

Thanks for the advice .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by theBranicAc
lol no one wants a job ! people want money, and a job gives money

you cant be this stupid?

Yeah but playing football can be a job and i like playing football. Or some people like learning physics and they get paid to talk about what the like

Posted from TSR Mobile
can't tell if troll or mentally deficient
Original post by Fish40
Yeah but playing football can be a job and i like playing football. Or some people like learning physics and they get paid to talk about what the like

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes thats true, so whats your point and how is this relevant to my post?
Original post by Mayhem™

too funny:biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by katherine9609
At your age you won't find a job that you enjoy. It's not that easy.

Pretty much every person who has a work history, worked at a few places they did not enjoy but did it because it = money. That's what having a job is about, getting money.

If you want a job you'll actually enjoy then you need to work towards that

I dont want money, i wouldnt mind it for free but i dont want to work for money in something i dont like, why waste your life? Im still trying to find out what i like. I think i like construction i think, do you know if civil engineering would be that? But i done really bad in physics this year probably getting an E , but my college will say 100% pass rate in physics A-E and the cycle goes on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mayhem™

I'm going mentally deficient

and OP, just remember the simple saying
'do something you love and you never work a day in your life'
hence why I deal in jewellery and watches
it is not work to me it's fun and the money is good as well (I'll have my Mercedes in 2 days and I'm loving my new Rolexes)
Reply 16
Original post by Emily110921
To get a job, of course! 🙄

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why would you want a job? (As the title says) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fish40
I dont want money, i wouldnt mind it for free but i dont want to work for money in something i dont like, why waste your life? Im still trying to find out what i like. I think i like construction i think, do you know if civil engineering would be that? But i done really bad in physics this year probably getting an E , but my college will say 100% pass rate in physics A-E and the cycle goes on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No job is a waste of time. It counts towards work experience which as you probably know, you need as much of as possible
Reply 18
Original post by theBranicAc
yes thats true, so whats your point and how is this relevant to my post?

You said 'lol no one wants a job !' , but I want a job as a footballer so your statement is wrong Im saying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fish40
You said 'lol no one wants a job !' , but I want a job as a footballer so your statement is wrong Im saying

Posted from TSR Mobile

you get a job because you want money.
actually let me rephrase that, a job is means/a way of earning money

if you can get money without working(ie getting a job) then most people will go with that option

therefore no one wants a jobs, because most people like to be lazy and get things without work

apart from you liking football you want a job as a footballer because it offers you a good amount of money, you would't want to be a cleaner would you?

see what i mean now, idiot?
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending